Filming in Scotland

Black Wizard

... Is there a such thing as getting "rained out" in Scotland? Don't they sunbathe in the rain?

I get a sunburn every time I'm in Scotland. :D

I' was probably lucky with the weather so far, but it is not always raining there even when I'm not travling in Scotland. There had been a dry spell on Mull in June, with no rain for three weeks. I think the locals were afraid their island would turn into a desert. :D

So I guess no one has said how second-day shooting went?

Was it rained out?

... Is there a such thing as getting "rained out" in Scotland? Don't they sunbathe in the rain?

Wouldn't it be more realistic to have rain in the northern part of the Seven Kingdoms anyway?

Does filming go ahead on Sundays? Just wondering about union rules about days off, etc, particularly where the kids are concerned.

Filming on Sundays for kids makes more sense than filming on a weekday.

Okay, so I popped in to Doune in mid-afternoon yesterday (24th). As has been said before, the staff were really courteous.

Dinklage was in the courtyard when I arrived, at that point we were being asked not to loiter so I went upstairs, turned a corner... and found myself in the great hall in Winterfell!

It was all set up for the feast, with tapestries on the wall and enough seating for about 50. It looked really cool - though as has been mentioned before in this thread, a lot smaller than I'd imagined. Went back down (after phoning my mates from Winterfell!) just before they were rehearsing a scene with Ghost - a very cute(!) white wolf puppy. I, along with the rest of the public were ushered away while they did the rehearsal, so can't tell you anything about that.

Rehearsal must have ended then, because Dinklage left the set, chatting to (I think) Ron Donnachie (Rodrick Cassel). I think the glum looking (it was really cold and wet this weekend!) youth following behind in a hoody was Kit Harrington (Jon Snow).

Didn't spend long there, but was well worth taking a detour and spending £3.20!

I think the glum looking (it was really cold and wet this weekend!) youth following behind in a hoody was Kit Harrington (Jon Snow).

Lol, he better gets used to being outside in miserable weather. :P

Or maybe he is one of those actors who really get into the role and was still Jon Snow when he left.

Wouldn't it be more realistic to have rain in the northern part of the Seven Kingdoms anyway?

Filming on Sundays for kids makes more sense than filming on a weekday.

I was thinking actually, this coming week is half-term for many schools in this country (they don't all have the same week because local authorities sometimes do different things) - it does seem a bit harsh that the kids might have to work all through the break and not get as much time off school. I guess it's best for thier education though...

Came across tweets that we've missed, which I've tweeted about here, from a woman who says she is stand-in for two different actresses. Looks to us like she's stand-in for Lena Headey and Jennifer Ehle, the only two adult principal women that I can recall in the script.

She describes one scene as her walking out of the castle's "cellar" with a handmaiden carrying her train (Catelyn going about making sure all's ready for the feast, or Cersei leaving the Stark crypt? she demured in the books, but perhaps they're having Robert make her do it). She also notes that Sean Bean's stand-in is giving her a lift. However, she's not required before 10 AM ... so I think it's a good bet that Ehle and/or Headey won't be around before that.

Finally, she says she's need for Monday and Tuesday. So, looks like the principals -- or at least the leading ladies -- are not going to be around after that.

I was thinking actually, this coming week is half-term for many schools in this country (they don't all have the same week because local authorities sometimes do different things) - it does seem a bit harsh that the kids might have to work all through the break and not get as much time off school. I guess it's best for thier education though...

Not sure what the child labor laws are like in the U.K., but kids who work on sets in the U.S. often have tutors so they don't have to worry about working around regular school schedules. (They also can only work half-days, so shooting with kids takes more time and is thus more expensive.) Depending on where they live, it may be totally impractical for them to attend their normal school while working.

If they want to do Winterfell justice, they are going to have to go CGI with it...... I always felt that Winterfell was a somewhat sprawling castle, it does have a Godswood inside it fer god's sake. Look at some of the recent SyFy (god, I hate that...whatever possessed them) series that literally use all CGI backgrounds. I think Sanctuary is one that is almost totally done with CGI sets, and imho, looks great. Really the same with any of the big locations, and CGI backgrounds don't cost near as much as CGI charactors :) I think they are going for real castles for interiors, but anything we see of the actual cities/castles will be CGI.

Not sure what the child labor laws are like in the U.K., but kids who work on sets in the U.S. often have tutors so they don't have to worry about working around regular school schedules. (They also can only work half-days, so shooting with kids takes more time and is thus more expensive.) Depending on where they live, it may be totally impractical for them to attend their normal school while working.

Ah ok yeh I don't know what the rules are here either - I'd assumed that since it's just so far a pilot they'd still be at their old schools, and have a few weeks off to film, but you may well be right that they'll have tutors for when they're filming, especially if there's a series made.

I have to say, personally I'd be quite pleased if they use Doune for all the Winterfell stuff - the oversized nature of the castles in the books has always been somthing that's niggled away at me - obviously it's a fantasy series so it doesn't need to be 'realistic' whatever that may mean anyway, but still, I will be happier with a scaled-down winterfell. Not that I'll object at all to a CGI enhanced pilot :)

My guess is that the size of the castle will be smaller than described, in terms of the sheer height of walls and so on. However, I would still expect them to use CG to make an establishing shot that shows that it's still quite a sprawling complex, larger than most castles in the real world.

I think part of the castle's charm is in Bran's description of its ancient, somewhat ruinous majesty, and it'd be a shame to lose that.

No, they really have to pile on the CGI for this to work properly. Everything in Westeros is bigger than in reality; it's fantasy FFS and it should show. If they decide to scale things down and try to use existing castles it will just look like they are cutting corners and being cheap, and if there's one thing I absolutely hate when watching films and TV it constantly being reminded about the economic constraints of the production. This was a big problem in Rome and while I don't think it can be completely avoided in GoT, I really hope they make a big effort to minimize it.

Archived