Filming in Scotland

Black Wizard

Speaking of arms and armor ... kingsguard. I know there were going to be extras as kingsguard. Anyone spot some guys all in white (or ivory, or some color of that sort that's nicer for the cameras)?

There's plenty of reasons why they might choose to vary the color palette presented in the novels, from stylistic reasons to someone just not liking all that white, or wanting the Kingsguard to stand out that much more strongly.

Just keep your eye on the prize: a series that brings good, dramatic fantasy to the television screen, and more recognition and a following for the books. :)

But is more recognition and fame good for the series? We are not sure how this could affect George's future writing style and series-development decisions. (More money/following equals more publisher/editor interference.) This, along with HBO pressures could, God forbid, turn GRRM into a Dan Brown or the like..

Eh.

I don't care really. I think the alarmist position is, in any case, bullshit. But even if it came to pass, so it goes. It could come to pass even without the series. In the end, if a person can reap rewards for their labor, they should reap those rewards and cross the bridges as they come to them. It's on their own head, whether they compromise themselves, but it's not really any of our business but to simply decide we're disappointed, and/or we're done with them.

Just a thought.... the whole white-on-camera thing may also be why the Lannister red did not seem so brilliant; I had the opportunity to be an extra for The Shining when it was being filmed in Denver, and we were told to not wear anything bright red, due to how the camera would pick it up.

But is more recognition and fame good for the series? We are not sure how this could affect George's future writing style and series-development decisions. (More money/following equals more publisher/editor interference.) This, along with HBO pressures could, God forbid, turn GRRM into a Dan Brown or the like..

Ahahaha.

No. I don't think so.

Martin does have its own coat of arms already. The Irish part of the family is one of the 12 historic Tribes of Galway.

Or for more info.

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/Orig...amily-crest.htm

Just a little side note: One of the MCs of my Fantasy novel-in-progress, Alastair O'Duibhne, Lord of the Red Hall, now has a bard named Seoirse mac Giolla Mhartain. :)

:P

Close enough.

Ha, tell that to a redhead! :lol:

Well I guess we'll have to have Tully coloring be red haired and not Auburn, from what I'm getting in the previous posts of visitors to the set...Not the worst thing in the world, being a redhead myself-but not what I imagined for a Tully.

They've got a lot of castles to get through ;) My guess is that they'll need the biggest one possible for the Red Keep in King's Landing, but will also need pretty big grand halls for Riverrun, the Eyrie and Harrenhal as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Caerphilly turn up later on.

Maybe I should pimp my local castle (which is the largest Norman keep, although nowhere near the biggest actual castle complex, in Europe) for some role in the series? :)

Actually, if there's a location scout with the team at Doune, (s)he might check Stirling Castle itself. The newly renovated hall is the largest in Scotland.

(It's 3.30 am here and I should move in direction of my bed, but I'll have a look at my Stirling pics when I'm back from university.)

Martin does have its own coat of arms already. The Irish part of the family is one of the 12 historic Tribes of Galway.

http://www.4crests.com/macoofar1.html

Or for more info.

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/Orig...amily-crest.htm

Given that armorial bearings belong not to names (which can be shared by unrelated lines), but to are inherited by individuals, (despite what a great many businesses will tell you) I'd be surprised if our own GRRM has title to this.

Given that armorial bearings belong not to names (which can be shared by unrelated lines), but to are inherited by individuals, (despite what a great many businesses will tell you) I'd be surprised if our own GRRM has title to this.

George's Irish heritage comes from his mother's side of the family: Brady from Old Castle, Co. Meath.

The Martin surname was bestowed on his paternal grand (or maybe great-grand, I don't recall) father when he got off the boat from Italy at Ellis Island.

The Martin surname was bestowed on his paternal grand (or maybe great-grand, I don't recall) father when he got off the boat from Italy at Ellis Island.

Hah. Interesting. :)

But nobody seems to mind them selling coat of arms for various families as trinkets like key-chains.

Hi again,

I had tried to reply last night but my broadband wasn't very broad last night hence the [q... posting!

I was attempting to reply regards the authenticity of the costumes etc. I can't say I'm an expert on medieval costumes but they seemed close to me, esp the staff and soldiers. I didn't see any armor as the soldiers were dressed for the feast. The colours were quite muted and the fabric is similar to that seen in Merlin (I stress fabric). I don't mind Merlin but I know it's a bad word around here ;) The Lannister crimson/red was darker than Uthors.

Sean was wearing a leather coat to the knees with scroll work inlay (or maybe another pattern, I didn't like to stare). Quite dark colours.

Nikolaj was also wearing a knee length leather coat and as stated earlier, not red/crimson but a light greyish colour I think (again I was embarrassed at the time for having just laughed at him coming out of the toilet!). I think there was cream too.

Didn't really see the Stark's attire as I was too close to them.

Rory was in dark colour but I think he also had read on. He is significantly taller than Sean Bean and a similar height to Nikolaj.

Mark Addy's looked very Royal and rich.

I think Crakehall might be right and that we saw the back of Lena as she was being helped up the stairs to the feast hall. If so, then her outfit was very intricate and regal. Quite an ellaborate head dress.

The house hold staff were wearing various styles. The kitchen staff had head scarfs and leather like aprons wrapped around their waists. Some wore long tabards over trousers, some had shorter tabards (think they were the servers at the feast).

Other extras looked like they could be other lords of the north, they work skins on their shoulders or big leather collars. There was someone with a shaved head and looked quite savage. I think Septa Mordaine was there too.

As for the banner I saw, I should have stated it wasn't in the main hall at the time it was in the preparation area. I never saw the main hall.

Responding to Ran regards external shots. Unless they took some shots before they put the scafolding up (to block the light from the halls windows, not for cameras) then I don't see them filming wide shots of the outside. I wasn't there for the King's arrival so don't know if that was shot from outside. I doubt it as there was no set put up around the Historic Scotland visitors shop which is in the gate way :)

I'm not there today. Figured yesterday couldn't be topped and I really should get some work done, talking of which.... I am smiling a lot today though :)

Jackie. - ps. I did boo quitely when the Lannister guards men were called to the main hall ;)

pps. sorry if I've repeated some of this, I can't remember what was in the lost post and what was in stuff I've posted and I can't be bothered checking ;)

Archived