Filming in Scotland

Black Wizard

Nikolaj was also wearing a knee length leather coat and as stated earlier, not red/crimson but a light greyish colour I think (again I was embarrassed at the time for having just laughed at him coming out of the toilet!). I think there was cream too.

Makes sense, to be in his white Kingsguard attire. I guess this confirms that they use off-white/cream for the cameras. I wonder if they're trying to differentiate it from the Stark white.

With that in mind I hope they didn't make the stark banner, light blue grey or even a light blue white with a dark grey direwolf running. That would be sad that someone in production cant manage to read and know what snow white is.

God, please don't take offense, but I hope we don't have too many of these nitpicking comments. Their goal is to put the story on screen, not every worldbuilding detail. There is no good reason why GRRM's choice, sitting at his computer fifteen years ago, is objectively better than that of the experienced directors/writers/costume designers. I think if any minor, unimportant deviations from the book will upset you, then you won't be able to enjoy the show much.

Me, I'm still a little amazed and relieved that they're actually casting long-term minor characters like Theon, Sandor, Benjen, Jory Cassel, Maester Luwin, etc. It's better than anything I thought would ever be made.

Thanks, Jackie. That's reassuring! So, Jaime sounds like he's in Kingsguard-style garb, which is a change from how it's described in the books (where he basically never wears Kingsguard whites until the end of ASoS). An interesting choice there.

All terribly exciting, I have to say.

Where any helmets spotted? Kettle Helmets? Sugar Loafs? Great helms? Nasal helms? Sallets? Close helms? Pig faced? I imagine that would be all the types that could be found there.

Was there chainmail, plate or both?

Regarding helmets, I would imagine that there would be a tendency to use helmets that show the actor's face and permit him to speak. Fidelity to some kind of European historical authenticity should not be as important as being able to tell which character is which.

Thanks, Jackie. That's reassuring! So, Jaime sounds like he's in Kingsguard-style garb, which is a change from how it's described in the books (where he basically never wears Kingsguard whites until the end of ASoS). An interesting choice there.

All terribly exciting, I have to say.

Em, I'm not 100% it was meant to be Kingsguard or not. There was only a little white/cream that I can remember. Although I was very close, it was a very quick view.

I'm now also wondering if my measurement of knee high coats should be raised to mid-thigh for Nikolaj and Sean. It's all a blur!

Jackie - why have camera eye implants not been invented yet?!?! :stunned:

That's somewhat mitigated by the fanciful helms (such as the Hounds), the crests, and various decorations (Jaime's gilded plate) that are canonical to the setting, I think. But yes, I suspect people will have their faces showing a bit more than they ought ... contrary to GRRM's reasoning for putting that particular Tyrion scene in ACoK in. ;)

Kitchen staff wore something similar to this... but in blues and greys.

Heh, I just saw that Vermeer a few weeks ago at the Met in New York. I think the exhibition is still there.

I'm really amazed we're getting so much onset info, but I guess it's our good luck that this part of the film is being shot somewhere that has to be kept open to the public.

Looks like Corvus Corax is confirmed. From a comment over on my blog:

The main courtyard is covered in mud and there seemed to be a cart there and some large iron braziers dotted about. They were filming in the great hall, so access there was restricted but we managed to see a room where all the food/props were stored. Some woman was running about asking where the wineskins were and there was a silver banner with a bird on it with the name Corvus Corax. Also saw the Lannister banner which had a crimson background with a roaring lion's head. Bumped into a couple of extras on the way out who were in costume, just peasants by the looks of them. Sadly, didn't get to see any of the main cast but the fact that I was standing in Winterfell made my day.

I just spent a good hour scouring this thread and giggling like a schoolgirl. Thanks to those on the "inside" who are giving out these wonderful, lush details. I'm so excited! One would think by sheer cosmic energy alone, the positive energy will fuel this sucker for the duration--straight from pilot into series.

I imagine a lot of that will be done on set in Belfast. Can't imagine NCW and Headey will be wanting to writhe around naked in an actual castle tower on a November day in Scotland.

Or push a child out of a real window of a real tower...

Or push a child out of a real window of a real tower...

Of course, I never suggested they would push a child out of a real window of a real tower. grrrrr..... Just wondered if the scene would be filmed today while all the relevant cast is assembled at 'Winterfell.'

Archived