World of Warcraft

Fenryng

Hello again.

It has been quite some time since I last posted.

My frost mage is now level 57; proof that I am still plod-plod-plodding along.

My career as of late -

I continue to use my original steed, Rawhide. He was available to me at level 30; I was able to afford him at level 46. It would be a logical assumption that whatever steed I became eligible for several levels ago has not been purchased for the same reason as before - abject poverty. Apparently, I am supposed to be concerned with my wallet in this game. Of course, it would also probably be some help in this regard if I ever, you know, farmed. Anything.

I continue to have never participated in a PUG. Even more amusing, I have never been asked. Ever. By anyone. I suspect that my stats and equipment might have something to do with this. Either that, or I can only be found in the remotest corners of any given zone, exploring, as opposed to lurking by the entrance to any instance the zone offers. In either case, I am not feeling the loss.

Speaking of equipment, I have also yet to purchase any. I continue to exist with whatever drops from whatever creatures I kill, although I have managed to get some things from creatures in instances I have chanced on my own. I have not purchased anything from a single vendor, anywhere. That includes the ones lurking outside of the battlefields.

And speaking of the battlefields, I haven't done one of those since somewhere in my mid-thirties. Figures. I busted my ass trying to get to a level that would allow me access to Alterac, and then I never go into it.

In the plus columns, my frost bolt is starting to cause over 1000 points of damage every once in a very great while. It is the little things that make life worthwhile. :-)

And my mana is finally at a point where I can deal with multiple creatures at once, one after the other, without running out, or having to run away after freezing them in place. W00T!

Still having lots of fun with the game, though. I am looking forward to sixty, once I get there.....probably sometime next calendar year. Ha!

I'll join since it's a new thread. I am on Thrall (horde of course)! I play maybe once a week if that. I just don't have time during the semester, but usually binge quite a bit on breaks.

Highest is level 59 warlock (blood elf) on Thrall - Alluveal

Working on a troll cleric right now - level 31 - Xazu

I had tried clerics a few times, but they were painfully slow to level. Surprise to me! Once I got to around level 24/25, I started rockin' like Dokken. Loving her now.

I do have a few Alliance characters on Steamwheedle too.

I was a huge EQ nerd back in the day (I don't dare post my clocked "hours") on that game. I just couldn't do intensive, camp a spawn, experience grind for 7 hours a day kind of thing anymore. It was great fun, made some amazing friends, but WoW is far better suited to my play time now.

Interesting to find a nice WoW following here. That's real shiny, capt'n.

I'm not even close to any end-game / raiding material. As a matter of fact, I haven't raided at all in WoW. I was a hard-core raider in EQ, so maybe it lost it's appeal. It would be fun to see some of the big, bad guys someday, though. Though, I play on my laptop and I'm not sure it could keep up without lagging like a mofo. Someday . . .

Not in a guild.

Feny,

I farm some things (like eggs in the Hinterlands and such). But, I'm not hardcore into it. I just plod along and sell anything and everything I can. I always feel so behind after I pay for spells!

I've heard that Frost mages are killer fun. A friend of mine has a 75 mage and took the dual specialization. So, he's fire some of the time, frost the other. He admits to having a bias toward the frost. :)

Spent the evening wiping on Yogg 25 :(

Some people need anvils dropped on them before they learn to not stand in clouds. Once we got phase 1 sorted, phase 2 was the sticking point; we didn't have 9 melee because some of the A-Team are slacking off and not signing up or away or whatever, so we were having trouble in the brain room and some of the melee we did bring kept forgetting to avoid looking at the skulls, which lead to them spending all their non brain-room time in sanity wells, which meant that corrupter tentacles built up...

We made a lot of progress though, and by our last wipe we nearly had the brain to the point where we'd move in to phase 3. Gonna come back tomorrow night with the right number of melee and hopefully a leave a couple of the cloud standing people behind so we can quickly get on to getting phase 2 sorted.

Made some good progress on the 25 hardmodes this week, though with the number of people screwing up brain links and not looking at skulls in the brain room I've no idea how we're ever going to get Yogg's hardmode down. Still, practice, practice, practice.

Fenryng : once you hit 80 and have all your spells trained the money will start rolling in. If I bother I can get well over 300g a day doing daily quests, though most of the time I don't have the time any more, and non daily quests provide extra gold instead of exp too.

FL + 4 towers down. Steelbreaker last in Assembly of Iron down. Thorim hard mode down.

That was a good week.

Next week we're tackling Hodir hard mode without the benefit of bloodlust, which is unfortunate. May be do-able, though. I guess we'll see. It's weird to finally be knocking out achievements for the rusted proto-drake. It almost feels like a possibility. Of course, the hardest shit is still to come - Firefighter, One Light in the Darkness, I'm looking at you. But it's kind of exciting to be knocking this stuff out anyway.

I'll join since it's a new thread.

I'll join too, after quite a long time lurking. I play in Shen'dralar (Spanish server) and play with an undead DK called Invernalia (the Spanish for Winterfell).

Invernalia is my main and only, since I've long abandoned levelling my other two toons (a forty something warrior and a 70 warlock).

My guild is called Legión Oscura (Dark legion) and is one of the few PVE guilds in a mostly PVP server. We raid 25 5 times a week, and manage all right. Last night we were having our second go ever at Yogg-Saron. We've finished ToC 25, killed Anub'arak and gotten ourselves a good amonunt of 245 lvl loot, but the damned Old God got the better of us for the full 2 hours of the raid...

When I'm not raiding I enjoy farming reputation. I recently became exalted with the Shatari Skyguard, and I'm farming reputation with the basic faction by doing the Argent Crusade quests and, recently, by doing the classic dungeons for the achievements and doing the quests in them. I'm now doing the chain of quests which ends with killing a Spider God in the Hinterlands. I also got myself the Mallet of Zull Farrak to summon Ghazrilla since the quest line takes me to Zull next.

I suppose I'll go ahead and join as well. :)

My main in an 80 night elf druid tank named Dondarrion on the Malfurion server.

At this stage I'm mostly just running heroics for badges and working on the Crusader, Loremaster, and Explorer titles. Trying to get that stuff cranked out before Cataclysm hits, though it's slow going. My play time is limited right now, so I spend most of it in 5-mans.

I think I've only ever raided once back in BC. Every guild I've ever been in only raids on Friday and Saturday nights, which never works with my schedule. Supposedly we're going to try and Ony 10 on Tuesday, but I don't even know yet if I'll have a spot.

I like the look of the new dungeon system their implementing, and the epic questline coming next patch looks like it could be fun.

Welcome to the new folks in the thread!

Cancelled our raid last night due to repeated bugging of Anubs spikes. They would continously chase random people, swapping every 2 seconds or so. We were just wasting attempts.

Glad to have a bunch of new people to nerd about WoW with :-).

Back from vacation (in Portland, OR, it's amazing everyone should go!) and tonight I'll mostly be healing an alt Naxx/Uld run which should be fun.

Might even get into some ToC on the Rogue later this week, but in the mean time, I'll be leveling up my cooking. I just realized I need to gain about 200 points by X-mas or I'll be Violet Drake-less for another year. Seriously, I don't know why I skipped the secondary skills the first time, :\.

Hello again.

It has been quite some time since I last posted.

My frost mage is now level 57; proof that I am still plod-plod-plodding along.

My career as of late -

I continue to use my original steed, Rawhide. He was available to me at level 30; I was able to afford him at level 46. It would be a logical assumption that whatever steed I became eligible for several levels ago has not been purchased for the same reason as before - abject poverty. Apparently, I am supposed to be concerned with my wallet in this game. Of course, it would also probably be some help in this regard if I ever, you know, farmed. Anything.

I continue to have never participated in a PUG. Even more amusing, I have never been asked. Ever. By anyone. I suspect that my stats and equipment might have something to do with this. Either that, or I can only be found in the remotest corners of any given zone, exploring, as opposed to lurking by the entrance to any instance the zone offers. In either case, I am not feeling the loss.

Speaking of equipment, I have also yet to purchase any. I continue to exist with whatever drops from whatever creatures I kill, although I have managed to get some things from creatures in instances I have chanced on my own. I have not purchased anything from a single vendor, anywhere. That includes the ones lurking outside of the battlefields.

So... I have to ask, if you aren't buying stuff, what are you spending all your money on?

Glad to have a bunch of new people to nerd about WoW with :-).

Back from vacation (in Portland, OR, it's amazing everyone should go!) and tonight I'll mostly be healing an alt Naxx/Uld run which should be fun.

Might even get into some ToC on the Rogue later this week, but in the mean time, I'll be leveling up my cooking. I just realized I need to gain about 200 points by X-mas or I'll be Violet Drake-less for another year. Seriously, I don't know why I skipped the secondary skills the first time, :\.

Glad you enjoyed it here in Portland. Did you make it up the gorge?

I have this love hate thing with WoW.

If I could just pvp I would..but I absolutely hate arena. Im as anti-arena as a person can get.

I like the fluid and unpredictability of large scale pvp. So I spend alot of time in AV (all my time as a matter of fact). I actually prefer AV when it just ends up in a slugging match and its a chaotic cluster fuck of back and forth, charge and retreat.

Those kinds of matches are where the min/max'r lose their advantage. It becomes about mana/health management, not just being a DPS-god.

Its also where an arcane-spec'd mage really shines (me). :)

I'm really stubborn and have pvp'd (and lvled) my toon exclusively arcane-spec. And not to brag too much but I just hit lvl 78 with 55k kills (I really do enjoy pvp). Arcane is a great spec, only when mana regen becomes key, which is really only in AV and to a certain extent AB. And because I refuse to respec or even dual-spec my mage, WSG for me is really just a very painful experience. :)

Our social raid on Sunday went pretty well. Maybe we can extend our raid to start where we left off unless we have a lot of undergeared peeps? Seems like most of the gear gains come through ToC, and since we're not really working on hard modes, we can probably just run to the newer content (for us).

I've learned one thing for sure though - on ony 10, make sure you get 2 tanks. This 1 tank bullshit is pointless. There are only 3 reasons to fail on ony: tards, not picking up a whelp spawn, and transition to P3. Extra tank pretty much helps with all 3.

Wait, why would you ever 1 tank 10 Ony?

when we all reacted like we were supposed to, it went fine; we just had to make sure the DPS was taking down the exploding add before it exploded. I think part of the problem we ran into was BIG NUMBERS BIG NUMBERS when the whelps were out and some DPS got their faces eaten.

Feny,

I farm some things (like eggs in the Hinterlands and such). But, I'm not hardcore into it. I just plod along and sell anything and everything I can. I always feel so behind after I pay for spells!

I've heard that Frost mages are killer fun. A friend of mine has a 75 mage and took the dual specialization. So, he's fire some of the time, frost the other. He admits to having a bias toward the frost. :)

I was informed that frost was the way to go if playing a mage and being solitary in nature. Between those two points and the fact that I wanted something other than fire, and arcane seemed boring at the time. I was not aware at the time of choosing the talent tree that I would be able to buy spells from all three realms anyway, but I would have still gone this route. I have no regrets, and I find it lots of fun. As for farming and money, see my answer to the other two below.

Fenryng : once you hit 80 and have all your spells trained the money will start rolling in. If I bother I can get well over 300g a day doing daily quests, though most of the time I don't have the time any more, and non daily quests provide extra gold instead of exp too.
So... I have to ask, if you aren't buying stuff, what are you spending all your money on?

My two largest money drains are buying new spells, and repairs. Being limited to cloth armor really royally sucks at times.

My primary source of money is whatever is dropped by the things that I kill. I obviously sell anything that is dropped that I cannot possibly use, but that has only started to bring in greater amounts of money for me recently.

I know perfectly well that if I had kept up with gathering herbs and selling them, I would have significantly more money than I do. I just haven't done farming for herbs for quite some time. My own damn fault.

My herb gathering is 209 and my alchemy is 149; both should be significantly higher. My gold is actually higher than I thought; that is 242, for some reason I thought I only had 150 or so.. I have no idea if that is a large amount for this level or not.

Another 2 hours of fail with Yogg Saron last night.

We used a method for the first stage which went kind of well. We were going with 4 tanks, one of which grabbed the add and bought it over to where the entire raid was standing (under one of the big chains in the corner, where the green clouds don't reach). When the add is at 40% health we all stop DPS and the tank kites it to Sara dodging the clouds. The add is then finished off by ranged.

The second phase was a constant disaster though. We really need to get into those portals much quicker and be much more organized in the brain rooms. We barely got the brain down to 50%, and that was sometimes with 4 entries before the tentacles overwhelmed us.

One of my big problems witrh my guild's way of doing things right now is that we're trying to get new blood into the guild (which is fine) while still doing high end PVE at the same time with these new guys. This got to the ridiculous extreme of going to heroic ToC with a DPS warrior wearing a blue cloak and a some mismatched pieces of DPS mail (which he obviously hadn't bothered to gem or enchant...). If we're going to take the newbies along we should be doing far easier content for them to learn the ropes (I wouldn't mind some Naxx runs myself, try to go for some achievements and stuff). Lots of our raiders only show up for the drops, though, so it's a problem.

Another 2 hours of fail with Yogg Saron last night.

We used a method for the first stage which went kind of well. We were going with 4 tanks, one of which grabbed the add and bought it over to where the entire raid was standing (under one of the big chains in the corner, where the green clouds don't reach). When the add is at 40% health we all stop DPS and the tank kites it to Sara dodging the clouds. The add is then finished off by ranged.

The second phase was a constant disaster though. We really need to get into those portals much quicker and be much more organized in the brain rooms. We barely got the brain down to 50%, and that was sometimes with 4 entries before the tentacles overwhelmed us.

One of my big problems witrh my guild's way of doing things right now is that we're trying to get new blood into the guild (which is fine) while still doing high end PVE at the same time with these new guys. This got to the ridiculous extreme of going to heroic ToC with a DPS warrior wearing a blue cloak and a some mismatched pieces of DPS mail (which he obviously hadn't bothered to gem or enchant...). If we're going to take the newbies along we should be doing far easier content for them to learn the ropes (I wouldn't mind some Naxx runs myself, try to go for some achievements and stuff). Lots of our raiders only show up for the drops, though, so it's a problem.

Ouch :(

We had another 3 hours of fail on Yogg tonight too, but we're making progress with every attempt and almost always making it to Phase 3 now. Our problem usually is that there are too many corruptor tentacles up when we hit P3 and we're getting swamped; we don't really have enough Melee DPS so the brain room isn't getting done fast enough. If we can make a few really solid attempts tonight though, I think we'll get it. People are starting to get used to P3 and we've gotten a hell of a lot better at P2.

Archived