NFL Thread IV: The Hype Machine Continues

BLU-RAY

It won't last (probably), but I find it awesome that the Rams/Lions game score is currently 3-2. That's football!

Yeah, how did that happen? I thought the rule was that if you caught an INT in your own end zone it was a touchback? Or did he catch it outside the endzone, run it into the endzone, and then get fucking tackled? Futility bowl indeed.

This Rams/Lions game is cracking me up! 10-10 now...I almost wish I was getting this game!

Actually I wish I was getting ANY games. We are only getting one game all day today, and it is the Niners/Colts. Not a terrible game (rooting for the Niners for the whole underdog and hating the Colts thing). Mostly watching the NFL network "gameday statzone" because fiance is a Ravens fan and wants to see them spank the Broncos.

Bye week for my team, so enjoying watching Dolphins beat Jets so we can beat Dolphins next week and cement our division lead!

ETA: I forgot we were getting the Raiders-Chargers game this afternoon, so we're getting 2 games...but still. We usually get 4. And Raiders-Chargers? Blah.

Nobody in the league handles the boobirds like Brett Farve. He just goes out there, has fun tossing the ball around like he's wearing his favorite pair of Levi's, and shows veteran grit.

He also brings veteran grittiness to the Minnesota running game. I've seen my fair share of quarterbacks handing the ball off to running backs but no one in the league does it quite like Farve. He really knows what he's doing out there with all that grit and experience.

Wasn't able to watch the Niners-Colts game (Gametracker only :( ), but it seems like SF did a pretty good job keeping it close. Especially given that our best OL, LT Joe Staley, left the game with an injury after the first offensive snap of the day. And anytime your defense holds the Colts under 20 points (and doesn't allow Manning a TD pass!!!) they've done their job.

That said, this team absolutely needs to start winning now. They've lost two painfully close games against legitimately good teams that could both be in the Super Bowl this year (Indy and Minny), got blown out by the Falcons at home and couldn't quite muster up enough of a second half comeback to beat the Texans on the road. That was a rough stretch. And it doesn't exactly get easy from here, but it does get easier. From the day the schedule came out, the game against Indianapolis loomed as the big monster in the middle-- from day one, you pretty much knew SF wasn't going to win this week. But now, the next nine weeks look considerably more manageable-- Titans, Bears, Cardinals, Jaguars and Lions at home, Seattle and St. Louis on the road. All of those look like winnable matchups for this team. But they'd need to win EVERY ONE of them to make it to 10-6 (I'm pretty much writing off @Philly and @Green Bay as losses, but I hope the team surprises me).

It's the Niners and Arizona for the NFC West title at this point, and AZ is helping out by laying an egg against Carolina today, so we should still just be one game behind. The season isn't dead yet, but if they don't start winning next week, it may as well be.

And that, I'm sure, is everything you wanted to know about the NFC West, and then some. You're welcome :P

I really do hate Favre but to give him credit, this is probably his best season. November is starting so it will get cold soon and he'll start wearing down but playing in Minnesota means playing in a dome so chances are, he'll make it through the year. Pretty good team they have.

I'm also very impressed with Rodgers. He gets sacked like 6 times a game but still plays as well as you can. If they shore up that offensive line, that offense would be insane.

Ravens looked good this week. Can't wait to watch the game next week. It'll be a hell of a game. I hope the Bengals come out of the bye week ready to play because you know the Ravens will be pumped.

Aikman was right in that Rodgers was holding onto the ball too much, but if he didn't get hit in the mouth on every single play in the first half, I think the Pack would've kept it even closer. It's all very well to throw it away instead of taking the sack, but that doesn't keep drives alive.

The over/under on total points for that game was set at something like 42.5. I feel sorry for anyone who actually bet the over.

Wait. Seriously? How could anyone take that over? And how could Vegas keep it that high when no one went after the action on the over?

This was the best NFL Sunday I've had in awhile. Redskins bye week. Was awesome to just watch football without feeling like you're going to vomit the entire time.

Think the day pretty much followed the script except WTF has happened to the Giants? Especially the defense. Any team able to pass the ball seems able to shred them all of a sudden. The Giants. A team with 47 different accomplished pass-rushers. I don't get it. Maybe they really miss Kenny Phillips. Maybe moreso Spagnoulo. But they suddenly look very vulnerable and if not careful could easily find themselves on the outside looking in, behind the Eagles and Cowboys.

Can someone please explain to me how MJD can have 170+ yards rushing and only get 8 carries? How can someone as good as MJD not get a carry until the 4th drive? They need to fire all their coaches in Jacksonville and get a real QB because right now, MJD is getting screwed. They're not even relying on him like they should.

Listening to the radio talking heads on the way into work this morning was the most dour Bears talk after a 30-6 win ever.

They should have won 63-6 (or so) and Cutler should not have been on his back for most of the game. The Bears offensive line is going to get him killed and so far Jay's been pretty good about not laying blame.

It was funny to see the Browns defensive coordinator (He was Kenny Rogers or maybe that guy from the Oak Ridge Boys, I think) jabbering at Cutler and clearly mouthing "F*** YOU!" two times and the CBS guys go "Whoa!!"

Man, the Browns offensive sucked. I can't believe the Bears D let them score a TD.

The Giants. A team with 47 different accomplished pass-rushers. I don't get it. Maybe they really miss Kenny Phillips.

In the Giants' defense, their safeties are really bad, especially CC Brown. I remember Dockery as being decent last year, but maybe he's only good enough to be good when his own flaws are covered by a Kenny Phillips; when he needs to do the covering of the flaws of a CC Brown, his own weaknesses get magnified by exposure.

Expectations for Brown when he signed were a warm body and little more, and he is not meeting them. They will almost certainly draft a safety high, especially given that no one knows if Phillips will be able to come back from his arthritis and play at his prior level.

Can someone please explain to me how MJD can have 170+ yards rushing and only get 8 carries? How can someone as good as MJD not get a carry until the 4th drive? They need to fire all their coaches in Jacksonville and get a real QB because right now, MJD is getting screwed. They're not even relying on him like they should.

That whole game was ridiculous. Some of the worst tackling I've seen. On every single long run by MJD and Chris Johnson (and there were like 5 of 'em), they should've been tackled easily for a 2-3 yard game. Was just shoddy. On one of MJD's runs, right up the middle, 4-5 different guys had a shot at him and every one bounced off.

In the Giants' defense, their safeties are really bad, especially CC Brown. I remember Dockery as being decent last year, but maybe he's only good enough to be good when his own flaws are covered by a Kenny Phillips; when he needs to do the covering of the flaws of a CC Brown, his own weaknesses get magnified by exposure.

Expectations for Brown when he signed were a warm body and little more, and he is not meeting them. They will almost certainly draft a safety high, especially given that no one knows if Phillips will be able to come back from his arthritis and play at his prior level.

Yeah, y'know, safety is generally one of the least important positions on the field...so long as you have a competent one. However if you have one that's awful, one that's consistently positioned wrong, one that doesn't get deep enough, one that bites on fakes....it can singlehandedly undo everything that's good and pure about your defense.

I call it the Roy Williams corollary.

Yeah, y'know, safety is generally one of the least important positions on the field...so long as you have a competent one. However if you have one that's awful, one that's consistently positioned wrong, one that doesn't get deep enough, one that bites on fakes....it can singlehandedly undo everything that's good and pure about your defense.

I call it the Roy Williams corollary.

Yeah, I think it's just that the difference between having an average NFL safety and an amazing one is seen as being relatively small (compared to other positions). Although having seen the impact of Polamalu, Dawkins and Reed, I might disagree even with that part.

I think that safeties are getting more important, since the Big Play is becoming more of a focus in the NFL.

Archived