if we were all that remained of society, could we survive.

BigFatCoward

just finished re reading the stand by stephen king, was wondering how the 16,000 ish of us would manage if we were all that was left. who has wicked skills that would be totally necessary, i.e. emergency services, farmers, electricians or teachers etc. who would be totally useless - poets, piano tuners or reality tv stars.

i put myself forward for chief of police, unless outranked by anyone. i'm an inspector in the british police, which i guess is the equivalent of a lietenant in america. no idea about other countries rank structures.

i rate myself about an 8 on the usefullness scale.

I'd say our chances would improve greatly if timmet was one of the survivors. I would be able to fish and use my amazing spidey senses of booze location to find a nice wine or beer to go with it. I have other talents - nursing, etc that would help.

I would have to say yes we seem to have plenty of skilled people and a lot of ingenuity. Of course exatly how well we survive depends on how society ended. Want to give us some more details? becuase I see the first problem is being close enough to each other to be usefull.

I would have to say yes we seem to have plenty of skilled people and a lot of ingenuity. Of course exatly how well we survive depends on how society ended. Want to give us some more details? becuase I see the first problem is being close enough to each other to be usefull.

Have you read The Stand? Its an awesome book.

Do we need a Board Safety Plan? Like household Emergency Plan? AKA, we meet at the tallest tree. Or in the case of the board, we meet in Kansas City?

Have you read The Stand? Its an awesome book.

Do we need a Board Safety Plan? Like household Emergency Plan? AKA, we meet at the tallest tree. Or in the case of the board, we meet in Kansas City?

I want to know if this is a major diasaster and most buildings, roads, etc are destroyed scenario or a everything is fine but 99% of the earths population is just gone scenario. In the later case your scenario would probably work, I'd just steal a car (and some guns and canned food plus whethever else seems useful) and be on my way although it would be difficult for anyone in Europe to get there (we got anyone who can fly planes to pick them up?). In the former scenario we may be fucked.

Mathematics teacher reporting. I'll educate the young ones and take credit for every mathematical discovery since Euclid.

And as an Aussie, I come with particularly useful skills for society such as an ability to talk about cricket for days, being able to spot any number of venomous snakes/spiders, and being able to tackle crocs and create genuine leather jackets.

I would promptly self-appoint myself the chief of secret police. Wouldn't want any deviant political philosophies to start springing up in such a natal society, now would we? I imagine the first order of business would be to get matching black leather uniforms and power armor for me and my mutant lackeys before we proceed to hunt-down those pesky Neo-luddites. Damn it, I've been playing too much fallout.

ETA: So to answer the question you posed earlier, No we probably wouldn't survive. :( . I sometimes get the feeling that human race is too clever for its own good.

Somehow, I don't think that people would need me to tell them that their system of exchange required record keeping. I'd probably get pushed out as useless.

We'd still need menial laborers, brood mares, and bartenders. You'd have some options.

Somehow, I don't think that people would need me to tell them that their system of exchange required record keeping. I'd probably get pushed out as useless.

Darling, you would be an excellent peacekeeper/ambassador. I have never seen anyone as able to soothe tempers as you. :)

Well, I'm the son of a farmer, but he quit farming before I was born, but I've learned a lot of what not to do since he took up gardening in his retirement, eg. he wasn't that a good a farmer, he once fell asleep at the tractor and ended up plowing the road.

But I've learned I've got a green thumb when I put my mind to it.

I'm going to say that we probably could survive, but there is a distinct possibility that most of the 16,000 would not. That is kind of a lot of people... how many on the board knows a thing about farming, fishing, how to field dress an animal, build a shelter, shoot a gun? How many medical professionals with enough supplies to treat and fend off disease? Some for sure, but the majority... I'd say probably not. And probably very few experts in those skills at any rate.

So, would those that knew how to do some of these things be enough to sustain a population of 16,000? Personally, I doubt it. Even though 16,000 is a relatively small number it would still take a lot of luck (availability of game or livestock, solid harvests, etc) and a probably complicated system to feed everyone. The board is chock full of really smart people that could be very useful later on, but I think we'd be in trouble initially. Not to be a Debbie downer or anything, I just don't think it'd be easy. :)

I'm sure that there would be enough canned food lying around for everyone, Then we have plenty of time to figure basic survival out. But I'll tell you one thing first thing I'm doing is heading somewhere warmer. We need to decide on a place to meet if this ever happens. My vote is the Caribbean

You want to tell me our meeting place is the Caribbean? A chain of islands, right?

Why not have it be somewhere in europe? Just thinking, maybe Monteone, in Tuscany. Or in Egypt, if you guys think we can survive the desert. I know Egypt is in Africa. That's not too heard to reach without ships. and the Americans here will meet up in, like, Mexico or something. But fuck America. Us Eurasia folk must stand together!

Archived