if we were all that remained of society, could we survive.

BigFatCoward

I could survive like a mo'fucker.

I can drive the shit out of any land-based vehicle (motorcycle, car, truck, bus), and I know my way around boats too. Unfortunately I don't know how to keep either of those vehicles running when they fall into disrepair (my main problem here is diagnostics, if I knew what needed changing or fixing I could work it out from there). I have never grown crops like wheat, but I've grown carrots, potatoes, onions and assorted other things so I'm pretty sure I could figure stuff like wheat out too. Fishing isn't exactly rocket surgery but I've done my fair share in the past, so I know how to clean and prepare fish. I can weld (MIG) passably. I'm handy with a chainsaw, I'm comfortable using power-tools and I'm a decent carpenter. I've never done it but I'm pretty sure I could turn a tree into usable lumber. I'm in no way a medical professional, but if I broke into a hospital to score supplies I would know what stuff would be the most useful, and I know how to treat the basic stuff like cuts and such. I can scavenge like nobody's business, and I know the location of two military bases that are nearby (we'll need guns to fight off those damned Holnists).

I have a little experience with farm animals, enough to be useful as a farmhand anyway. I know how you would construct safe and sanitary latrines and sewage systems, which would be absolutely essential if you wanted 16,000 people living together. I know the basics of radio communications, so all I would need is a few books from the library to learn how to set up a radio network. I know simple electronics too, which would be handy if we ever got far enough to construct wind turbines. I also learn things very easily, so any library would pretty much be able to teach me any skill or knowledge I lacked in order to survive or be useful to a settlement of survivors.

Honestly I think the biggest problem the ASOIAF settlement would face is logistics and organisation. I could handle it for a handful of people, but in order to make it work for 16,000 people you would need some real clever folk in that regard. There would have to be some sort of leadership, in charge of distributing resources and manpower, you would need a system by which you distributed those resources so that everybody gets food/water/essential goods. How would you know how much crops to grow in order to feed those people, stockpile for the winter and have enough to seed again in the new year? How many cows would you need in order to provide milk and meat for that many people, and how much crops would you have to grow to feed the cows? How many sheep to keep us in wool and how much would they eat? Will the site of the settlement provide enough water for all these people or do we need to 'spread load' the surrounding country-side creating smaller settlements? Is the huge-blob-of-people approach preferable when it comes to organisation or can we improve efficiency if we organised people into more self-sufficient smaller communities and just shared the surplus, or maybe some other configuration?

And would GRRM still be able to write his books if he couldn't watch the NFL? If not, we would have to jury-rig something to play the ESPN classics archive for him. Also, a printing press would need to be made available, so we wouldn't have to pass around a single dog-eared copy of the manuscript.

Reading what I've just written it has become clear to me that I think way too much about survival in the post-apocalyptic society. :leaving:

I have a copy of this book. And I can shoot a bow.

I'm surviving, baby

I can make arrowheads... And dig holes...

16000 people would be nearly impossible to support without any sort of pre-planning. I dont care if we have the best farmers in the world; for the first season the population would be too high for natural resources to support in any single location. The only choice would be to disperse the population or face starvation. Now, if we started with planted fields and prepared food stores it would be a different issue.

16000 people would be nearly impossible to support without any sort of pre-planning. I dont care if we have the best farmers in the world; for the first season the population would be too high for natural resources to support in any single location. The only choice would be to disperse the population or face starvation. Now, if we started with planted fields and prepared food stores it would be a different issue.

This is why we need more info on how society ended, will there be a lot of canned food still around or was it all destroyed in whatever destoryed humanity.

kungtotte

Unfortunately I don't know how to keep either of those vehicles running when they fall into disrepair (my main problem here is diagnostics, if I knew what needed changing or fixing I could work it out from there).

I understand mechanics pretty well so I should be able to figure that type of thing out.

Well, in a The Stand-like situation the entire world would be our oyster. We could live comfortably off of canned or otherwise scavenged goods for a good two years at the very least. Two years is cutting it close in terms of getting a large-scale farming operation set up, admittedly, but we could do it. The biggest issue during this time would be clean water. Initially the running water would still be operational for some months, and this could be supplemented with scavenged bottled water for a couple of weeks at least, which is hopefully enough time to sort out a fresh water supply.

Well, in a The Stand-like situation the entire world would be our oyster. We could live comfortably off of canned or otherwise scavenged goods for a good two years at the very least. Two years is cutting it close in terms of getting a large-scale farming operation set up, admittedly, but we could do it. The biggest issue during this time would be clean water. Initially the running water would still be operational for some months, and this could be supplemented with scavenged bottled water for a couple of weeks at least, which is hopefully enough time to sort out a fresh water supply.

Looking for water... that would be weird, where I live you can drink out of most streams and be fine

Oh sure, it's fairly trivial to find a source of potable water. But how do you ensure that 16,000 people get their ~4 litres of water per day (I don't want to carry 64,000 litres in buckets)? How to use it to water any animals we might have? Irrigate farmlands? If the stream is big enough there's no real chance of a water shortage, but not every place has fresh water sources of that magnitude so you have to make sure there's enough of it to go around. This is what I mean by sorting out a fresh water supply. It's more than just finding the water, it's distributing it too.

Oh sure, it's fairly trivial to find a source of potable water. But how do you ensure that 16,000 people get their ~4 litres of water per day (I don't want to carry 64,000 litres in buckets)? How to use it to water any animals we might have? Irrigate farmlands? If the stream is big enough there's no real chance of a water shortage, but not every place has fresh water sources of that magnitude so you have to make sure there's enough of it to go around. This is what I mean by sorting out a fresh water supply. It's more than just finding the water, it's distributing it too.

Darling, I get thirsty, not dirty. I would drink beer, lots and lots of beer, so I could do my civic duty and give my share of water to someone else.

I re-read The Stand once or twice a year because its so much fun to think about the what-ifs. For example, the last time I read it I started thinking about the post-flu deaths. The accidents, murders, withdrawals, suicides, etc. Depending on where you are, you may have a hell of a long way to go before you reach other people. What would that do to your psyche to be the only living person within 500 miles? To deal with rotting bodies at every step. Alone. I have no doubt I would go batshit insane and overdose by accident.

Darling, I get thirsty, not dirty. I would drink beer, lots and lots of beer, so I could do my civic duty and give my share of water to someone else.

I re-read The Stand once or twice a year because its so much fun to think about the what-ifs. For example, the last time I read it I started thinking about the post-flu deaths. The accidents, murders, withdrawals, suicides, etc. Depending on where you are, you may have a hell of a long way to go before you reach other people. What would that do to your psyche to be the only living person within 500 miles? To deal with rotting bodies at every step. Alone. I have no doubt I would go batshit insane and overdose by accident.

Gods that's a frightening thought, and I just realized something the only way to get out of where I live is by boat there are no roads. I had better be able to drive a boat if this ever happens.

Gods that's a frightening thought, and I just realized something the only way to get out of where I live is by boat there are no roads. I had better be able to drive a boat if this ever happens.

As long as Bear Grillz was alive I think we'd be fine.

Oh!! Thats another thing I can do - I can operate boats, including large fishing boats. You live on an island and can't operate a boat? Sup with that? That would make me all full of anxiety about being trapped.

I am in the state of 10K lakes - I think everyone was born with boating ancestral knowledge here. I know me and most of my friends could drive boat before we started with cars.

Oh!! Thats another thing I can do - I can operate boats, including large fishing boats. You live on an island and can't operate a boat? Sup with that? That would make me all full of anxiety about being trapped.

I am in the state of 10K lakes - I think everyone was born with boating ancestral knowledge here. I know me and most of my friends could drive boat before we started with cars.

She's right. Most of us are born on boats. Or, in winter, in a shack on the frozen lake our pregnant mothers would have been boating on.

I've been camping/backpacking/hiking/hunting for my entire life. Shooting, field dressing and carving up Bambi, no problem. And my family has literally hundreds of guns, so...arsenal keeper, I guess. Also, mad skills teaching English, so those board members that have trouble with communication can come to me.

And someone will need to help keep baseball alive. Otherwise, there's no point in any of us surviving.

Alcohol dehydrates you, Ro, so I guess we won't have to plan very much about your survival ;)

ETA

Holy Elvis, I just realised, DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO BREW DELICIOUS BEER?!

Fuck water and food, our post-apocalyptic society would crumble if we could not get this essential corner-stone of life.

I think timmet was trying, partially redundant can, Ixodes was interested and I know there were a few more, but I can't remember offhand. Worst comes to worst, I know where to go to get the instructions and supplies.

Bet I would be the first accidental death by blowing my ass up trying to make beer. :lol:

Finally some sense!

Also we have enough people here with exp at hunting etc to be able to teach others.

We take over an already established farming area and then send out looters/ foragers in 1,000 strong groups to scavenge anything they can find ie fuel, food, weapons ......

You make the initial groups that big then send out the smaller groups of say 100 to find anyone/thing you may have missed.

You occupy strategic points and considering the different skills available we could probably manage to rig up a basic phone system plus possibly radio communications, heck we may even be able to maintain some sort of hydroelectric setup.

It's not actually an Island it's just for whatever reason they never put in a road, I think it would cost to much. So instead we take a ferry to get to Vancouver. So no I cannot operate a boat for the simple reason my family can't afford that type of thing. I wish I had been able to though, also wish I had been able go hunting to, we have a lot of deer around here. I'm surronded on three sides by water and I can't operate a boat, how weird is that?

Ah well I'm sixteen I have plenty of time to learn these types of things and have been planning to, I just need to get a job. Which I'm working on but so far no luck.

Archived