Moderation

Yagathai

To clear up a point: we have always allowed thread about moderation policy in general, with certain provisos. Such as that they are not complaints (or thinly-disguised complaints) about particular decisions, that they don't happen every week or so (because that's just navel-gazing), that they don't descend into axe-grinding or score-settling, etc. So this thread's existence isn't really a sign of us being laxer, IMO. :)

In all honesty, I'm surprised that more moderation isn't needed, considering the number of members we have and how George's writing career is going. I think the lit mods, in particular, will be hoping he speeds up, or they'll go 'doolally'. :lol:

So what you're saying, Yag, is that instead of viewing the Mods as fickle forces of nature, I should see their movements as part of a great and evil plan to... do whatever it is they do: Prevent people from posting rude things about other peoples mothers if they stand on the wrong side of the David Bowie - Freddie Mercury debate; shrug their shoulders at [de]Gen[erative] Chat; relax in Forum Games; tell the newbies to shut their holes in the General forum.

Well that sounds more fun anyway.

Somebody get me a black armband! And a beret!

You can't trust the system! MAN!

And they are also good about deleting posts on topics that we just don't need - does anyone remember that awful "Which way do you wipe yourself" thread a few years ago? Don't remember it? Good - it got closed after 3 or 4 replies.

Dont remember the thread...but i dont understand why it would be closed. You dont have to read it...and if the title offends you...you've got issues.

Dont remember the thread...but i dont understand why it would be closed. You dont have to read it...and if the title offends you...you've got issues.

This. 1,000 times, this.

I don't like the NBA. So you know what? I don't read that thread. And more than that, I don't post in that thread how much I hate the Lakers, how much sharing a market now with the Kings sucks balls, how the existence of the Clippers is offensive.

Any other thread I think might annoy me? I don't read that either.

I swear, sometimes I think you guys are self-destructive crack addicts and the mods are America's War on Drugs.

And they are also good about deleting posts on topics that we just don't need - does anyone remember that awful "Which way do you wipe yourself" thread a few years ago? Don't remember it? Good - it got closed after 3 or 4 replies. That just deserved some eye bleach. There's probably going to be a lot more of that in a few years, if the HBO series gets picked up.

Actually, it was open for a while, until a few people, one who is permabanned, got way too discusting.

Nothing wrong with the "general" discussion.

I've been warned once, I've only ever reported one person and that is also the only person I have ever had on ignore (as well as blocked from PMing me)

Of course, I reported another person from an actual event, but that was different.

I find the mods do a pretty good job. I only feel resentful when I have missed the deleted replies.

Considering there was a thread about where was the best place to find pirated music that got closed because it was discussing how to best perform an illegal task, I really don't see why talking about how to commit murder while keeping it palatable (even hypothetically) should be any better than that. Maybe I'm just a prude. But if I were hypothetically a board admin, I wouldn't want the liability of having people talk about that on my board. :dunno:

Yeah, I am an uptight whore, but I do think some thread titles could be more tastefully and intelligently chosen. Lets face it - despite the nah nah na na nah nah ness, some people check the board at work, or maybe they have it up while making dinner and have kids around, or maybe they are simply offended. Whatever. Is it such an infringement on your FIRST AMENDMENT RITES!!! to not be a cocksucking nobjob in the thread title or description? Really. Is your natural brilliance so stifled by phrasing the thread title in a way that isn't overtly offensive?

Besides, even if you ignore someone so uncouth it causes your teeth pain, you can still see their thread titles and offensive userpics.

Sorry to want to stifle your vast intellect and modes of expression. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think you had to understand the gestalt of what was going on at the time - it was the 3rd or 4th "bathroom" thread that week. There was really no need for it.

It was like, another one??

I think that's a load of horseshit (I wipe with five squares at a time and repeat as necessary, btw). This whole merging anything concerning American politics into one thread might be efficient but it doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

I don't know Ro, these rites are very important to me. You don't want to infringe on my freedom of religion do you?

Your mysticism offends me. Time for us to battle, TO THE DEATH. :lol:

1) Please don't permaban me.

2) I'm now (apparantly) in a position that a single more banhammer strike to the head will send me straight into permaban.

3) As I don't consider myself lewd, crass or vile my current predicament is mainly due to offensiveness over political debates and questioning mod decisions in said debates.

4) Consider that the only form of goverment that deals with dissent by shutting people up and eventually making them disappear is a despotic tyranny (aka dictatorship).

5) see 1.

What a lot of people seem to have trouble to grab is that moderating a forum has absolutely no link with leading a government or being a tyranny. If you're banned from a forum, you're not banned from the internet : you are always able to exercise your right of speech anywhere else.

If you can't adapt to a place's moderation policy, then... well, just go someplace else.

Tush and nonsense!

*points to his title*

This board is an unconstitutional monarchy, which is like a dictatorship, but there's a crown (the exact design of which is nebulous) and extravagant pageantry (or possibly orgiastic pageantry; I've not yet decided).

1) Please don't permaban me.

2) I'm now (apparantly) in a position that a single more banhammer strike to the head will send me straight into permaban.

3) As I don't consider myself lewd, crass or vile my current predicament is mainly due to offensiveness over political debates and questioning mod decisions in said debates.

4) Consider that the only form of goverment that deals with dissent by shutting people up and eventually making them disappear is a despotic tyranny (aka dictatorship).

5) see 1.

What are you looking at being banned for? Have I missed deleted posts? I find you stubborn to the point of deliberate idiocy, totally incapable of changing your mind, a bit annoying, occasionally somewhat offensive and with a grasp so different of the state of Israel from me that you're surely going to be against the wall when the revolution comes, but not actually disruptive to the general function of the board, as you certainly do stick to the subject of the threads (Barnacle like, even) and I don't recall many personal attacks or massive vulgarity, nor have your opinoins ever quite slipped into plain racism.

Archived