Dragon Age: Origins: Thread III [some SPOILERS]

Tobin

Got rid of those pesky male dragons, and the highdragon too...

Wasn't as hard (or as experience prosperous) as I first thought. Once I gathered Shale, Morrigan and Wynne to my party they didn't stand a chance.

Will do the last drako tomorrow :drool:

Talking to over people that done the dragons, they recommend only having one melee so she doesn't chain the mass knockback, and have that melee Shale as hes immune to the pick up move.

Everyones immune to the pick up move, you just stun the dragon with spells/skills and much like ogres the move is done immediately.

The drakes are not immune to Cold of Cone/Shatter as well so that means easy.

Equip Leliana with a dagger or two and slap in fire runes before that scene for extra WTF.

I don't know what you're talking about with floating bits, but the 'romance' scenes are definitely pretty lame. I have no idea why they don't just do a tasteful fade to black. I mean, Morrigan's 'sex' scene puts her in a less revealing bra than her usual one sans cowl (yes, there's a bra under there); are we supposed to think she rummaged through her pack trying to put on something less sexy to excite her lover?

In similar awkwardness news, there is a slightly amusing conversation between Oghren and Alistair if the PC is female and in romance with Alistair. Oghren, being a dwarf and prone to asking very rude and awkward questions, asks Alistair what he does with the PC's legs. Because they're so long compared to the dwarf legs Oghren is used to, and he figures they'd get in the way, or is just curious, or whatever the hell goes on in his twisted mind.

I'm told that this happens even if the PC is a female dwarf. Go figure.

Anyway, the 'sex' scenes with Isabella at the Pearl are hilarious, and they do provide a tasteful fade to black. That's probably how it should have been handled all game. And then I wouldn't need the major dose of brain soap that I was required to take after seeing the non-fade-to-black rendition of (late game spoilers)

SPOILER: DA:O
Morrigan + Loghain + Loghain's sneer

Finished first play through a couple hours ago with my Daelish Male Rogue (named him Valarsarius and Dog's named Notmangy). Bittersweet. Damned so.

SPOILER: Mostly because of the two regretted choices made at the end.
Losing Alistair at the Landsmeet and then sealing the deal with Morrigan.
Have a dread feeling this is how I'll feel at the end of ASoIaF. Bitter-sweet. A long reflection during the epilogue and end credits somewhat made up for it.

Still, its been a great ride for just under 57hrs game time (factoring in my numerous battle repeats means a lot more combat time). Fortunately I got a save point right before the Landsmeet so I might explore some of the other decision paths.

Then there's always my other character's which I started and stopped after the opening recruitment; my Dwarf commoner named Farenheit or my Dwarf noble named Celsius. Might have to name their Dogs Mercury and ° or maybe just name them Sweat and Chill which roll off the tongue better.

Looking at Oblivion sitting on the shelf, I can't imagine playing that anytime soon except maybe to run around the forests and leap off ledges and jump over objects which I miss.

Best Buy has this on sale today for $35 for the PS3/XBox 360. I don't know how much I'd get to play at home with my impending nuptials... but for $35, it might not be all bad. The question for me now is whether I want to brave a Black Friday crowd.

Okay, I said earlier that the Mage's Circle tower wasn't giving my much trouble...well, I spoke too soon. I've come to a point with two fights that involve Desire Demons supported by a large number of Templars. THe first one, the demon has like six warriors with her - I open the door to the room she's in and somebody casts something and basically explodes my PC mage instantly - she's just dead in the first .5 seconds of the battle from a column of light, and everyone around her is hurt too. I think it's some Templar power, but I don't know for sure. Nothing else I've seen in the game is so deadly as that. Any suggestions?

The second fight you get to dialogue with the thing a bit first, but it's a hard fight with one very tough (yellow) Templar. I think I can win that, it came close my first try, so we'll see.

I might need to just try that first battle on Easy, though - always feels like cheating, though.

Best of both worlds!

I was mentioning my lack of desire to hit Best Buy to my front desk staff this morning. She said that her boyfriend was going to pick up a TV and could get the game for me. I just came back from lunch and its sitting here on my desk! Hoorah!

:thumbsup:

Okay, I said earlier that the Mage's Circle tower wasn't giving my much trouble...well, I spoke too soon. I've come to a point with two fights that involve Desire Demons supported by a large number of Templars. THe first one, the demon has like six warriors with her - I open the door to the room she's in and somebody casts something and basically explodes my PC mage instantly - she's just dead in the first .5 seconds of the battle from a column of light, and everyone around her is hurt too. I think it's some Templar power, but I don't know for sure. Nothing else I've seen in the game is so deadly as that. Any suggestions?

The second fight you get to dialogue with the thing a bit first, but it's a hard fight with one very tough (yellow) Templar. I think I can win that, it came close my first try, so we'll see.

If I remember correctly templars can get a move that nukes you based on a certain amount of mana that they take off you, through I just had the annoying situation of them dispelling all my buffs constantly.

If I remember correctly templars can get a move that nukes you based on a certain amount of mana that they take off you, through I just had the annoying situation of them dispelling all my buffs constantly.

I had immense trouble with this fight too. They're using the Templar Smite ability, the fourth templar power. It stuns in an AoE and also acts as a mana burn spell, doing additional damage if its a mage. Oh, and it goes through walls. I ended up cheesing the fight by keeping my mages as far back down the hall as I could and having Alistair run up to open the door with Lifeward on. He took most of the Smites and then Wynne kept him healed. With that godawful first strike out of the way, they're pretty easy.

The demon with the dialogue was also a pain, since whether I won or not basically came down to whether the templar targetted my PC mage or not.

RE: Mage's Circle tower

Playing a Rogue with stealth and trap making abilities I learned very quickly to hold my party back at an ambush spot and stealth scout the situation ahead. In stealth mode I could explore a new room fully, walking amongst the enemies and assessing their numbers. If there are numerous enemies I would plan a retreat route and then un-stealth at the door and run back. Usually one or two would follow and I would lead them directly to my waiting party.

If several or all of them follow I would detour my run until my stealth ability became available again and activate it, the enemies would then stop chasing me and turn back. As the last of them approaches a corner I un-stealth and draw that lone enemy back to the party. I found this technique most useful in the Fade, especially as I can also lay traps and throw grenades while in stealth mode.

Maybe a dumb question, but are you opening the door with your mage. If so, don't. Might want to keep your mage back until your tank has drawn the attention of all the templars as well. Although honestly, I don't remember the Templars ever using their 'pwn magic' ability when I did the tower, so I'm a bit at a loss.

Archived