Board Notes

Ran

Already posted a notice for this, please read that before bombarding us with 'Hey, this is broken'. We know, we're sorry, we're working on it as best we can after having spent about 20 hours on this at this point. It's some very complex software we're dealing with, and very complex CSS code and so on. It may take a good while (read: days) to get it resolved.

In the mean time, how about telling us the features you like (if any) about the new software? The profile view is supposed to make it all a bit more social Web 2.0-ish, and so on.

Ran,

Already posted a notice for this, please read that before bombarding us with 'Hey, this is broken'. We know, we're sorry, we're working on it as best we can after having spent about 20 hours on this at this point. It's some very complex software we're dealing with, and very complex CSS code and so on. It may take a good while (read: days) to get it resolved.

In the mean time, how about telling us the features you like (if any) about the new software? The profile view is supposed to make it all a bit more social Web 2.0-ish, and so on.

Thank you for you and Linda's Herculean efforts to give us a place to talk.

:)

Do you know how many times I clicked the speed-dial link to get here just out of habit? :) It's almost like a reflex: alt-tab to Opera, click the ASOIAF forum link.

I like the new forum style, though it's going to feel weird not to be greeted by that familiar colour-scheme any more. :)

I like the idea of voting on posts/threads and awarding reputation to users. I've seen the system in practice elsewhere (mainly Slashdot and Reddit) and it usually works out, the main problem being the human factor (people start systematically downvoting posts by a certain user, and/or use downvotes as an "I disagree"-function rather than to bury incorrect or disruptive posts) but I think we'll be relatively safe from that around here, given that we're such a relaxed and groovy bunch.

I like the new forum icons (for old thread/new thread/new posts in thread/new posts in thread you've posted in, etc.). They scan better to me than the old, smaller ones.

I like the editor in the reply-boxes, both in fast reply mode and in the full reply mode. Though I'm eyeing that twitter-button suspiciously...

The new method of doing spoilers is also good, having a toggle-button to show/hide spoiler'd text is much more betterer than having to select all the hidden text.

All in all, it was definitely worth being without my forum-fix for a night, and thank you for the effort you guys put in!

ETA

The MultiQuote feature is also very nice! Saves me having to cut'n'paste when I reply to multiple posts.

I would like to echo Ser Scot's sentiments Ran. You guys have obviously put a lot of effort in and the board is looking great.

Best thing I've noticed so far is how smoothly you can edit your posts with the new software.

I'm not really a fan of reputation systems but thanks for all your work!

It is rather limiting... can't we have a rating system based on emotes... happy face, frowny face, angry face, silly face, drooling face and snoring face? Even walk away face... now that might be fun...

Like everyone, i'm really grateful for all the work you guys have put into this. Thank You!

I like the multi-quote too, thats really useful.

I'm frankly beffudled by the popularity thing. I sense it might have...potential...implications...social dynamicsy stuff. I find these things confusing. At this point I think I will carefully avoid touching those little buttons like a hot stove until some kind of consensus as to what the hell they *mean* emerges. (and then, I suspect, only if that meaning is functional and objective. Or witty.)

I have to admit I'm a bit confused. It all looks too different but I can get used to it. I like the new post editor and I DO like the multi-quote button. The old function never worked for me. I do want to say a big thank you to Ran and Linda, you guys put a lot of work in this. :)

There must be a glitch someplace though. I never ever put anyone on Ignore and just reading this thread I was told I had chosen Not to read Ser Scot's posts. Which surprised me beyond words and had me checking my profile page, to discover that I had 5 people on Ignore, something I never did. So it's possible that members' preferences and choices have been mixed up somehow and I got someone else's Ignore List.

I'm frankly beffudled by the popularity thing. I sense it might have...potential...implications...social dynamicsy stuff. I find these things confusing. At this point I think I will carefully avoid touching those little buttons like a hot stove until some kind of consensus as to what the hell they *mean* emerges. (and then, I suspect, only if that meaning is functional and objective. Or witty.)

I think that as long as kungtotte's comments are taken on board (i.e. use the function to deter incorrect and/or disruptive posting rather than to systematically downgrade a specific user or to express simple disagreement with a particular post), the reputation system should work. Disagreement is better expressed by a cogent argument in reply rather than a simple push of the red button.

I think that such a policy would probably meet the requirements of functionality and objectivity that you correctly set out.

Thank you both for the hard work. I think the new layout looks good. It will take me a while to used to it, but it takes me a while to get used to anything new.

I'm not really a fan of voting on posts. I don't really see the point and I can see some people getting their feelings hurt.

So it's possible that members' preferences and choices have been mixed up somehow and I got someone else's Ignore List.

So the interesting question is...did you also get someone else's PMs?

ETA: Also, since he asked, I tested out the reputation thing on Loon ;) - once you use it, it appears to be permanent. You can only pick it once, and you can't change your mind. Just FYI.

Another ETA: Okay, who else just voted Loon down? Because otherwise I'm confused as to whether my attempt to click on it again did something.

I like the new forum style, though it's going to feel weird not to be greeted by that familiar colour-scheme any more. :)

It has its appeal, though like you, I am just so used to this being the "Big Black Board" that it will take me awhile to adjust. Maybe the Targaryen skin will return sometime in the future, but I am still impressed thus far with the changes of this update.

ETA

The MultiQuote feature is also very nice! Saves me having to cut'n'paste when I reply to multiple posts.

I agree. The MultiQuote feature should speed things up for sultry debate.

I agree. The MultiQuote feature should speed things up for sultry debate.

Not that it matters, but you could always quote multiple people, or at least since the last upgrade. You just clicked on "quote" for every post you wanted to respond to. But I suppose the new labeling makes that more obvious.

Archived