Board Notes

Ran

I really think the fact that votes can be just cancelled out wrecks any utility the thing might have. It might have been interesting to get an idea of what all the people who lurk think about things, and I generally actually like that feature on book review sites, Yelp, etc., but what appears to be happening more than anything else from the little experiment on this thread is that people are using their votes mostly to cancel out any votes - positive or negative. I saw the number of votes tick up at first, and now it's almost entirely all around back to zero.

I agree. It'd be cool if it kept a tally so when someone makes an outrageous post we can see that 50 people agreed and 52 people disagreed.. instead of just seeing -2. Anyway.... I'm happy with the new board so far.

Ooh I've just spotted a new feature - if you click on the tiny green icon next to a person's name it brings up a sort of mini-profile (including the status update) without leaving the page you're already viewing. Like!

Yeah, I noticed that a while ago. I like it. Anybody have any ideas on how we can get our Location to be visible under our Avs? Knowing a person's location can give you a lot of insight on his/her posts, it seems as if the only way to find out right now is to visit their profile page.

I have to say, the board does feel too bright. The old skin was a lot easier on the eyes.

Thanks Ran and Linda for all the hardwork. :)

Re: Multiquote

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the Multiquote and the old system is that now the button actually changes. In the old board, you can do multiquote, but you just have to trust that your button click works. Now there's visual confirmation.

To use it, click "multiquote" on all the posts you want to respond to, then, use the "Add Reply" button at the bottom of the thread. If you use the reply button associated with the post itself, then you only get that one post quoted.

[quote name='TerraPrime' date='04 December 2009 - 06:42 PM' timestamp='1259944935' post='

To use it, click "multiquote" on all the posts you want to respond to, then, use the "Add Reply" button at the bottom of the thread. If you use the reply button associated with the post itself, then you only get that one post quoted.

Ah!

Mashiara - I accidentally negativized your post. I didn't mean to! I was looking for the reputation button. Is it just in profiles? Can I positivize it back? I'll go find out.

ETA - oh, and I agree wrt location being visible. Its a useful function and helps me at least keep track of who's who.

Anybody have any ideas on how we can get our Location to be visible under our Avs? Knowing a person's location can give you a lot of insight on his/her posts

this is a good point--it'd be nice to get that back. I often check to see where people are from to put things in context.

edt. Datepalm--I gave Mashiara a postive for you.

Perhaps I would be more comfortable with the voting system if it wasn't anonymous and aggregated. Also, mods should have the possibility to disable the voting thingy in instances where there is obvious abuse.

Now I'll go out to cancel some votes... :p

Ah!

Mashiara - I accidentally negativized your post. I didn't mean to! I was looking for the reputation button. Is it just in profiles? Can I positivize it back? I'll go find out.

ETA - oh, and I agree wrt location being visible. Its a useful function and helps me at least keep track of who's who.

Weird. It became me quoting myself when I edited via quick edit. I was originally quoting Terra Prime and his quote has now dissapeared. This is challenging.

EDIT- AND I meant this to be an edit of that post, not a new one. Not sure if it was the board there or human error.

I'm nervous about what this post will become now.

Ah!

I'm SO confused now. You negativized my post, then to make up for it you positivized it back? (I'm cringing inside using these words. :P) Based on what Raidne said earlier, I didn't think it was possible to change one's vote.

The reputation can be seen on the little pop-up window that comes from the green button next to our avatars.

BJT, thanks. :) I think this voting thing will get out of control soon. Alarich has a good point, it would be a lot better if it wasn't anonymous.

I'm SO confused now. You negativized my post, then to make up for it you positivized it back? (I'm cringing inside using these words. :P) Based on what Raidne said earlier, I didn't think it was possible to change one's vote.

The reputation can be seen on the little pop-up window that comes from the green button next to our avatars.

I was wondering where I can...oh, god..."reputaitionize" someone. And It turned out I couldn't positivize your post back. One opinion per post only.

I was wondering where I can...oh, god..."reputaitionize" someone. And It turned out I couldn't positivize your post back. One opinion per post only.

You're killing me here. (Insert lmao emoticon) I hope we don't start using these words for real, it would be criminal!

Weird. It became me quoting myself when I edited via quick edit. I was originally quoting Terra Prime and his quote has now dissapeared. This is challenging.

EDIT- AND I meant this to be an edit of that post, not a new one. Not sure if it was the board there or human error.

I'm nervous about what this post will become now.

I think it may be that you are clicking buttons that are located where you instinctively expect other buttons to be.

It seems that clicking on links embedded in posts no longer open the post in a new window. Is that a local configuration specific to each browser, or is it a board thing? In the previous incarnation, clicking on a link opens up the page in a new tab for me (Mac OS, Firefox). Now it doesn't. Curious to see if this is a feature of the new software or is it something I can fix on my end.

Thanks Ran and Linda, can only imagine the amount of effort and stress involved in sorting this all out.

The look is alright - one gets used to almost anything - this is the 3rd reincarnation of the board as far as I am aware (and more for the ee-site folks) and we have managed so far.

Post / reply etc seems to be very well thought out - good stuff. Profile set up ditto.

Voting / reputation - not touching that with a 10 foot pole. If I want voting - I'll watch X-Factor.

It seems that clicking on links embedded in posts no longer open the post in a new window. Is that a local configuration specific to each browser, or is it a board thing? In the previous incarnation, clicking on a link opens up the page in a new tab for me (Mac OS, Firefox). Now it doesn't. Curious to see if this is a feature of the new software or is it something I can fix on my end.

This will be part of the board coding, you can of course right click on any link and select "open in new tab", but hopefully this should be something that can be easily fixed I would think.

Archived