get rid of the post rating feature.

一方通行

Ran- So is this going to stay around? It's been a few weeks now. What about keeping the feature, but only allowing people to rate posts up? I like to give positives to great posts I read, it's certainly more beneficial than simply replying that you agree.

Ran- So is this going to stay around? It's been a few weeks now. What about keeping the feature, but only allowing people to rate posts up? I like to give positives to great posts I read, it's certainly more beneficial than simply replying that you agree.

dats crap. getting a negative rating is another part of sucking it up for not being exactly like everyone else. its a great training tool to let people know what is accepted by the community and what isn't.

And seriously, if you are going to let your rating affect your poor little self, just shut off the computer.

So far I've only used the little green points, some because the posts have been well argued and QFT is an abomination, some for posts that entertained and the rest to upgrade posts that I thought were unreasonably down-rated.

The little red points do not yet appeal I still prefer snark and rebuttal.

I am curious about one thing, has there been any significant change in post deletions or reports of abusive posts?

• 2 weeks later...

dats crap. getting a negative rating is another part of sucking it up for not being exactly like everyone else. its a great training tool to let people know what is accepted by the community and what isn't.

And seriously, if you are going to let your rating affect your poor little self, just shut off the computer.

You know dats bs. I'm chaotic evil and I havent made 1 anti-feminist post since the implementation!

Even though I'm an asshole on whom such a rating is fair, i suspect other people get these ratings simply for expressing dissenting opinion. That aint right imo. Discourages people from posting.

I spent an entire feminism thread disagreeing with both sides and came out of it with minimal damage. I've actually been running a bit of an experiment with that and most points that I have accumulated come from expressing an opinion not yet expressed in the thread (i.e. a minority opinion) that other people couldn't be arsed to write out.

Sadly, my sense of humor is completely unappreciated. :crying:

Well, yes and no. Most positive points, I think, come from serious posts - at least for me, anyway, since I'm now demonstrably not funny - but negative points are kind of arbitrary, you're right. They tend to come from posts like, well, this one. Most of my negative points, I think, have been from this thread. Really though there's no way to tell what your points are coming from as far as I can tell.

Well, yes and no. Most positive points, I think, come from serious posts

I'm not so sure on that. I've gotten 30-odd positives and I haven't made a serious or subtstantative point in close to ten years.

Dick jokes and weird avatars*. The path to success.

* And most of the time I didn't even pick the avatar. Therefore, I propose splitting my reputation score with Arbor Gold.

That is the one change I would like to see: Names associated with the votes.

Yeah, that would be nice, if only so I could know who shared my sense of humor about one particular rating I gave out. :P

Yeah, that would be nice, if only so I could know who shared my sense of humor about one particular rating I gave out. :P

Agreed. I know I have a slightly warped sense of humor, but I do enjoy others as well. I think most of my down votes have been jokes and I find them amusing, but I don't know who it is that shares my humor.

I'm not so sure on that. I've gotten 30-odd positives and I haven't made a serious or subtstantative point in close to ten years.

Well, yeah. Note my earlier caveat about my woeful unfunniness.

How could titties be witty unless they had brains - which I guess - could happen sometime in time and space at the right place!

The rating feaute - huh - how'd Raidne get to 93 plus.

I thought Chataya would be higher - but hey Chats just preach on about witless Mil - I feel your pain!

I do think that there is something wonky about a ratings system that is so hard to use for overall reflection. My overall rating right now tells me virtually nothing, because I don't know where the + and - came from. I mean, yeah, I could go back over all my posts and work it out, but a snapshot makes a lot more sense.

I also rather like the idea of people's names being attached to their + and -. Under the old system, if you wanted to post your pleasure or displeasure about someone else's post, you had to write it out in a new post of your own, and that had your name attached to it, so clearly it's okay to have your name attached ... What need have we then of anonymity now?

Archived