get rid of the post rating feature.

I tried to give every post here a negative but apparently you are limited to the number of negative's you can assign per day. That is lame.

There's a limit on positive and negative points each day. It's 5 points of each for regular members of the forum. Mods and admins get more, just 'cause. ;)

Max,

Aren't you saying that the latter group will give a shit about points? It's just they'll enjoy accruing negative points rather than positive points.

I believe what I intended to say was that the people accruing the greatest number of negative points are not likely to complain. I liked the color of my terminology better, but of course it was not correct.

Well-spotted. Thank you.

I am cool with the feature being given a month's trial or whatever.

We've had this on my invision board since we started up but nobody has even mentioned the feature there, let alone used it.

Could it simply be disabled for members (but still available to admins and mods) rather than 'got rid of' or removed?

Certainly, I could set it so only mods and admins have points to give. Not sure if that'd really be of any great use. Moderating normally is probably easier. But we'll see how it goes first. :)

which shows who added points to who

this is exactly the kind of totalitarian feature that the board needs.

it also needs:

a) a reputation history viewer history, which shows who viewed whose reputation history, how often, when, and for how long;

b) a log-in history & log-in history viewer history, as above;

c) a calculator that assigns a value based on reputation divided by the poster's total posts, so we can determine an incremental market value for each post herein; and

d) a godwin's law tracker, that tallies which posters invoke hitler, individual nazis, the third reich, nazism, and other features of german militarism for no good reason.

As should be noted by my LJ discussion of this topic I'm uncomfortable with this new feature. I think there is potential for abuse here. However, I do think being patient and seeing how it plays out makes sense. I trust Ran and the mods to make a fair assessment of the reputation system and to end it if it becomes a problem.

I know I'm not that frequent a feature here, but its just a bit of fun guys...

It's something I'm used to on another board, and I suppose being long-acquainted with it over there I'm a bit taken aback by the above mentioned er... not panic, maybe... backlash...?

ETA - Its just a point system, there's a limit to the amount of abuse can be found in relation to it, I think. And if you don't like it... No one is making you click the little button...

I know I'm not that frequent a feature here, but its just a bit of fun guys...

Speak for yourself. I am still deeply wounded by the fact I got not a single mention in that Favourite Boarders thread back in the summer. A negative rating would be like the WORST THING EVAR. :cry:

Probably should have seen that coming.

Alright board, if its a war you want then you got it.

Damn, it's 1-2! =(

On a more serious note, I agree with the original poster. This feature, as far as I can see, is completely unnecessary and brings no real advantage to the board. The only useful example of a peer-moderated forum I've seen is Slashdot, where low-rated comments are hidden depending on your preferences. That's probably necessary because of the extreme amount of posts each article on that site generates. Over here though, you still see every comment, so the browsing exprerience isn't enhanced in any way.

My question is this: what's the idea here? Why is this feature considered? I'm all for testing it out, but I'm interested in the thinking behind it and the long-term consequences (such as the overall atmosphere on the board). Beyond the obvious objection "it could be abused" (which I don't think it will on any major scale, despite my best efforts) - is this something that we want on our board?

I think we should see it through the trial period, unless it is causing undue distress to people. I have some reservations but could also see that if it isn't abused it could be a positive addition.

What worries me with its current state is that the number of votes are limited, so it turns into a kind of voting/popularity contest (this aspect I dislike). I feel that for it to have positive benefits there should be unlimited opportunities to vote*. I mean, what if I have used up all my votes and then see three more brilliant posts? And I'd rather not save it for the exceptionally brilliant posts, but also give votes to those which I found helpful or funny or well-expressed or reasonable. I'd like to be able to lavish positive encouragement. (I'm rather more cautious about when, if ever, to use negative votes)

I thought it might be more like the voting system on other websites, where you could rate each post from 1-5 stars.

Also I can't find a way to search a person's posts to find out where they got their reputation from. I'd like to be able to go to these high-rated posts so I don't miss out on them ;) And if the person is myself, to find out which of my posts got what kind of response.

(I'm kind of glad there isn't an easy way to sort members by reputation... though reputation does pop up prominently when you get the member list - and reputation scores when I looked earlier today had random i.e. no correlation with my own ratings of people whose posts I like reading. But I'd be interested to see if that changes.)

* Also if there are loads of votes flying around it is be more likely to mask the occasional perverse voter and give a more representative impression of what people think of the post. (Except the one vote system rather than a rating means you can't compare posts across threads, or reputation) as it is depends how many people read the thread.

i can't imagine that the minority here is intimidatable, though--whether that minority is defined as conservative boarders (which may or may not be the case) or far leftists. i'm certain that commodore, scot, sam, el ah, and our other regular rightwing posters won't be scared off by a little negative blip on the bottom of the screen. more likely it'd be read as a badge of honor.

i also can't imagine that the handful of reds up in this bitch will commit board seppuku just because they receive a numerical register of the displeasure that their ideas normally receive in routine discourse away from the internet.

Archived