Metal Thread III: Lone Wolf and Metal

Xray the Enforcer

So our power went out last night in the Midwest Snowpocalypse. So the only thing I had to entertain myself was my iPod, so I fittingly celebrated Christmas Eve listening to some Severed Savior. Not the greatest death metal, but I, like Saint, had to combat the Christmas cheer of the other 11 people camping out in our house to avoid the blizzard.

Do not want.

Oh come on, you at least have to like High On Fire.

I'm now on Day 2 of Christmas, with all my uncles and their families. So I'm currently sitting with headphones on listening to Anaal Nathrakh, trying to stay away from any festive goings-on.

Aww...I've been away from the board for a few weeks and I miss a sweet discussion in this thread.

All I'll say...is it's one thing to disagree with Christianity and another to wish death upon those who don't believe what you believe.

Anywho...

I had one of the cooler (read: dorkier) moments of my life a few weeks ago...

I live near Pittsburgh and it was one of those weird winter days where it was like 60+ degrees and raining. This time, however, it was really windy and the temperature was dropping. The rain was coming down really hard, and...as I'm sitting inside listening to iTunes randomly feed me music, something happened. At an instant, I realized what I had to do.

I grabbed my ipod and headphones and a hoodie and went outside...what followed was an incredible 5 minute experience...

I threw on "With Oden on Our Side" by Amon Amarth and stood out in the storm. It was a perfect moment...and as the rain was pelting my face via the high winds...as the song ended, I looked over my shoulder and saw a rainbow break through the clouds.

I know it's lame and I know it's dorky, but dammit, that was one of the coolest things I've ever done outside my house. Everything just worked so perfectly.

I like metal, but not all that wank crap. Oh, and not the deathcore crap either, or the slam stuff that's the same thing just under a different name so people who don't want to admit they like deathcore can like it and not feel like douchebags even though htye're hypocrites, you know? Oh, and new thrash. It's just like wank balls compared to the old stuff. And...well, that's most of it, but while metal's like the only good music, there's still a lot of crap, so yeah. Oh, and the symphonic stuff. that's all like crap, you know?

I'm wondering if it was an actual metalhead who -'ed this, or some random person reading the thread who took offense to you saying "metal's like the only good music". That isn't necessarily true, but at my most belligerent I do say "death to all but metal".

Overall I don't really disagree with your sentiment. Sometimes wankery goes too far (like the newest Dream Theater album). And I don't even think I've ever listened to a band that can be called "slam death", but any name that dumb demands to be ridiculed, so good for you.

Symphonic, otoh, can be done well or poorly. I think it has become too trendy and too many bands try it, but stuff like early Arcturus is fucking epic, so don't dis it.

When it comes to metal, if a normal person has heard of it, it is probably crap. If nobody but a handful of people have heard it and call it the greatest thing ever, it probably sucks and they are just saying that to be "tr00" or "kvlt" or "underground". The minute anyone outside their friend circle starts listening to it they will stop liking it, claiming the band has "gone mainstream" and "sold out on its' principles".

And although I'm not sure exactly what would be considered deathcore (I've probably never listened to it), I hope it doesn't include grindcore, because that shit is my new love and I will fucking slay you if you talk one once of shit about it (just kidding...or maybe I'm not).

Sorry, I probably shouldn't post in the metal thread when I'm drunk.

ETA: I feel dumb because you're probably an alt just fucking with us (though seemingly well informed on some sub-genres of metal).

I like metal, but not all that wank crap. Oh, and not the deathcore crap either, or the slam stuff that's the same thing just under a different name so people who don't want to admit they like deathcore can like it and not feel like douchebags even though htye're hypocrites, you know? Oh, and new thrash. It's just like wank balls compared to the old stuff. And...well, that's most of it, but while metal's like the only good music, there's still a lot of crap, so yeah. Oh, and the symphonic stuff. that's all like crap, you know?

Yes metal has a ton of genres, and most metalhead have differing opinions. Amazing, I know.

I know it's lame and I know it's dorky, but dammit, that was one of the coolest things I've ever done outside my house. Everything just worked so perfectly.

Yeah it is pretty lame and dorky, but I have done similar things, so I know where you're coming from :-).

My picks for the best albums of 2009:

Slough Feg- Ape Uprising

Kreator- Hordes of Chaos

Sacrifice- The Ones I Condemn

Saxon- Into the Labyrinth

Megadeth- Endgame

Honourable mentions:

Artillery- When Death Comes

Stratovarius- Polaris

Heaven & Hell- The Devil You Know

Candlemass- Death Magic Doom

Destroyer 666- Defiance

W.A.S.P.- Babylon

To be honest, I didn't find it to be that good a year for metal. Very few albums really excited me and had staying power beyond a few weeks, except for Slough Feg and Kreator. Artillery's When Death Comes has some fantastic songs, though- just too bad that the whole album can't match its opening. Oh well, here's to a better 2010! New Heathen and Manticora albums are on their way, so that's a good start at least.

Yes metal has a ton of genres, and most metalhead have differing opinions. Amazing, I know.

What i was told metal only comes from San Fransisco and from the 80's. I demand screen shots!!!

To be honest, I didn't find it to be that good a year for metal. Very few albums really excited me and had staying power beyond a few weeks, except for Slough Feg and Kreator. Artillery's When Death Comes has some fantastic songs, though- just too bad that the whole album can't match its opening. Oh well, here's to a better 2010! New Heathen and Manticora albums are on their way, so that's a good start at least.

Well not every year can be a 2008, Although like you said 2010 with what you mentioned, Kamelot, and "fingers crossed" Wintersun could be epic!

Also im still asking people to pray that Kamelot plays in vancouver when they come to NA. Think of it as a birthday present to me! :P

Most pleasingly, Hellbent for Cooking (Thanks, hon!) was waiting for me under the Christmas tree come Dec. 25th, and we've had a gas thus far reading through it. Having to explain to my father how to pronounce "Balsac," however, is an experience I do not ever need to have again. In any case, we'll be trying some of these recipes over the next few months and will report back.

I love end-of-year lists because it's a great time to find out what I've missed out on (like a new Madder Mortem record I didn't even know about, a project that features members of Cynic and Textures, another project that features Necrophagist and Pestilence and a decent black metal band from Brooklyn that I've never even heard of before.) I haven't had any time to listen, but I'll write up some notes in the next week or so as I get through this latest batch of albums.

What i was told metal only comes from San Fransisco and from the 80's. I demand screen shots!!!

Well not every year can be a 2008, Although like you said 2010 with what you mentioned, Kamelot, and "fingers crossed" Wintersun could be epic!

Also im still asking people to pray that Kamelot plays in vancouver when they come to NA. Think of it as a birthday present to me! :P

New Kamelot, eh? That's always good news. The Black Halo is definitely one of my top 20 albums of the decade. And I'll pray for you, because they are an awesome band live. Hopefully they'll come back to Montreal next year also.

Speaking of which, because lists are so fun, top 20 albums of the decade. I'd be curious to see other peoples' as well. No specific order:

Iron Maiden- Brave New World

Judas Priest- Angel of Retribution

Virgin Steele- The House of Atreus, Vol II

Destruction- The Antichrist

Tankard- Beast of Bourbon

Sodom- M16

Ensiferum- Ensiferum

Manticora- Hyperion

Kamelot- The Black Halo

Blind Guardian- Live

Lost Horizon- A Flame to the Ground Beneath

Shadows Fall- The Art of Balance

Slough Feg- Traveller

Kreator- Hordes of Chaos

Helloween- Gambling With the Devil

Torture Squad- Pandemonium

Metal Church- This Present Wasteland

Symphony X- Paradise Lost

Mekong Delta- Lurking Fear

Rush- Snakes and Arrows

I'm definitely with you on 'Brave New World' and 'Paradise Lost' but I don't think I could give a top twenty. A lot of the albums I've been buying in the past few years are from the 80s and 90s so I'm not really up to date with recent albums. Also in the first half of the decade I was still in the Nu-Metal then the Metalcore phase so you'll have to forgive my patchwork attempt at a top 20.

Iron Maiden - Brave New World

Avenged Sevenfold - Waking the Fallen

Dream Theater - Octavarium

Hammerfall - Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken

Helloween - Gambling with the Devil

Symphony X - Paradise Lost

Testament - Days of Darkness (It's essentially a Greatest Hits, but it still counts right?)

Megadeth - United Abominations

As I Lay Dying - An Ocean Between Us

In Flames - Clayman

Onslaught - Killing Peace

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

Thrice - The Artist in the Ambulance (They're not a Metal band but I like them)

Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache

Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavoured Water

Still Remains - Of Love and Lunacy

Trivium - Ascendancy

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden

Alexisonfire - Alexisonfire (They're not a Metal Band either...)

Funeral for a Friend - Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation (Um....)

As you can see there are a couple of odd choices there but since I was teenager in the past decade my music taste has developed significantly since I was ten years old.

I went by the rule of one album per band. I had done otherwise then there'd have been multiple entries for a few bands which would have looked a little odd.

My top 20 metal albums of the past decade. Too lazy at the moment to post "why" but here goes (limited to one album per band):

Agalloch - The Mantle

Ajattara - Kuolema

Darkspace - III

Dictator - Dysangelist

Draugnim - Northwind's Ire

Drudkh - Autumn Aurora

Kataxu - Hunger of Elements

KOB - The Ancient Shroud of Primeval Ural Woods

Mgla - Groza

Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet

Nortt - Ligfaerd

Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness

Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress

Solstafir - Köld

Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame

Sun of the Blind - Skullreader

Thyrfing - Vansinnesvisor

Void of Silence - Human Antithesis

Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters

Wormphlegm - Tomb of the Ancient King

Mostly into blackened pagan -/black -/funeral doom metal. Didn't check through my list of albums so probably forgot something essential.

Archived