Michael Sullivan's The Riyria Revelations series

With Rye

i just downloaded what appears to be a prequel from amazon. i need to see what all the fuss is about. welcome to the board, MJS! :cheers:

You must be talking about The Viscount and the Witch? This was something I quickly threw together during the "deadzone time" - A period when all the self-publishing books were removed from the market and the Orbit books were in pre-order but not able to be delivered. It was a way of giving the long term fans something to chew on while they wait...and be a "quick intro" to those who want to get an idea of my writing style without investing all the time an money of one of the larger novels. I hope you enjoy.

Thanks for the welcome to the board. When I was self-published I avoided boards such as this because self-published and forums can be a mindfield that I wasn't interested in trying to navigate. Now that I've been "anointed" as a "real boy" I don't feel so self-conscious posting...besides I enjoy talking to people about reading, writing, and publishing. There is a lot of warring going on about which is the “right path” for publishing – but few stating the obvious, hich is the notion of “right” is absurd. Which path you choose is very dependent on an author’s goals, and those may change over time so the important thing is to be educated on the plusses and minuses of each choice, and keep abreast as to what’s going on in the market, and then chose the “right path for you."

I bought the first compilation from Barnes and Nobel a few days ago. Not sure if it's next on the read pile or not.

Thanks for the support! No worries about when to read it - I know all too well about the high stacked tbr pile. I'd love to hear what you thought when you are done. Good, bad, or indifferent any feedback is preferable to the cricket's chirp.

• 2 months later...

*thread necromancy*

I'm currently about halfway through the second novel. While they're not bad, they don't really give me the "wow" effect. They are decently entertaining, easy fun stuff, and I quite like Hadrian and Royce and their storylines. Not so sure about the Arista and Alric stuff, it just hits pretty much every fantasy-trope there is. Not that tropes are bad, but it makes it all appear a bit too stereotypical, and the evil church plotting a bit too obvious.

Can somebody confirm a little spoilery thing for me? Is Royce a half-elf or something thereabouts? He definetely has something about elves...

They are decently entertaining, easy fun stuff, and I quite like Hadrian and Royce and their storylines. Not so sure about the Arista and Alric stuff, it just hits pretty much every fantasy-trope there is. Not that tropes are bad, but it makes it all appear a bit too stereotypical, and the evil church plotting a bit too obvious.

The author was aiming for something traditional and nostalgic, in a deliberate move away from the almost ubiquitous gritty realism. Whether you call it stereotypical or pleasantly retro is a matter of taste, I suppose.

Can somebody confirm a little spoilery thing for me? Is Royce a half-elf or something thereabouts? He definetely has something about elves...

I don't know how to do that hiding spoiler thing, so <whispers> you're not wrong </whispers>. Not that it's a big secret, actually.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I got the 1st book on audible, read the 2nd for myself and am now starting on the 3rd. I think I have found my new 2nd favorite fantasy author after Joe Abercrombie.

Wow, very high praise - thank you for that. The third is what I'm most proud of. I designed the series to get better with each book so the first ones are actually the weakest links by design (crazy I know). I wanted the series to end in a very satisfying way because many series just seem to peter out at the end so I very carefuly designed the mysteries to build and the stakes to rise.

I'd love to hear what you think after finishing the last one - as only then will you have the "full picture."

i just downloaded what appears to be a prequel from amazon. i need to see what all the fuss is about. welcome to the board, MJS! :cheers:

Thaks for the welcome...You are probably referring to "The Viscount and the Witch" - this is a free short I put out to act as a gap between my books being removed and the new books coming out. It is short but yes will give you a feel of my writing style without any financial investment and just a short time investment. I hope you enjoy it.

Just finished the Rise of Empire; off to Heir of Novron. I am getting a lot of Locke Lamora vibe from this series. Lot of similarity between Locke & Royce and Jean & Hadrian. Although Hadrian could probably wipe the floor with Jean's ass and Royce is no slouch. Very enjoyable, thanks Michael. I am definitely looking forward to more from you. Along with Adrian Tchaikovsky, you are now my favorite new fantasy author. Highly recommended :thumbsup:

Just finished the Rise of Empire; off to Heir of Novron. I am getting a lot of Locke Lamora vibe from this series. Lot of similarity between Locke & Royce and Jean & Hadrian. Although Hadrian could probably wipe the floor with Jean's ass and Royce is no slouch. Very enjoyable, thanks Michael. I am definitely looking forward to more from you. Along with Adrian Tchaikovsky, you are now my favorite new fantasy author. Highly recommended :thumbsup:

Glad to see you are enjoying the books. I only recently read Locke Lamora (mainly because some others have mentioned similarities. To me Locke reminds me of Ocean's Eleven...which is somewhat interesting because one of my books (that you haven't gotten to yet) was written originally to be kind of like Ocean's - a crew of people "do a job" but the book was majorly overhauled and has none of that aspect any more. It's interesting though to see people compare books to one another. The relation that is brought up the most often is Libers Fahrd and the Grey Mouser. That particular group of books I'm bypassing completely until I'm 100% sure that I won't be writing any more Royce and Hadrian stories. I don't want to have it end up effecting how I write.

In any case thanks for the 'favorite new author co-chair position - and for the thumbs up recommendation!

My pubishers and I have agreed on them putting out another series by me. I want to wait until they anounce the specfics - but for now all I can say is the deal is for two books an their release dates are scheduled to be August 2013 an Septempber 2013.

Eagerly awaiting further news on this.

Recent Interview in Fantasy in Motion

Some of the questions:

• If you had to pick one, what would be your favourite book/author?
  • Which fantasy authors have really stood out for you in recent times? What do you think gives them that edge over others?
  • When you approach planning in your own writing, do you fly by the seat of your pants or set everything out in detail?
  • How important do you think it is to research a project before writing?
  • Seeing as how you started out going down the self-publishing route (and had great success), what advice would you give to someone who’s thinking of taking that route now?
  • Do you find any particular types of scene more difficult to write than others? Some authors struggle with fight scenes while others fly through them, what about you?
  • What do you think about writer’s block? Do you believe it exists or is it a signal of a lack of research/planning?
  • Have there been any times when you just haven’t felt like writing? How do you overcome those feelings to get something down on the page?
  • Could you tell us a little about The Riyria Revelations?
  • Where did the idea/inspiration for Royce and Hadrian’s characters come from?
  • Are you able to say what you’re working on at the moment?

Archived