Michael Sullivan's The Riyria Revelations series

With Rye

Sullivan returns to self-publishing:

Off went the manuscript to my agent and my editor at Orbit, as well as to my most trusted beta readers. Responses were very positive. My agent loved the book, but while my editor also felt the book was great, she had a problem. Outside of Space Operas (a sort of fantasy set in space) no one was buying science fiction anymore. So Orbit passed on the book.

Other professionals cited the same thoughts. Good book. Great story. Won’t sell.

So today I’m announcing that I will be self-publishing Hollow World—but I want to do it right.

http://www.riyria.bl...llow-world.html

• 1 month later...

Just finished the series today. Wow. Great stuff.

I'd love to explore more of the world after the series conclusion, but will be satisfied with the prequels of Ryira Chronicles.

I started reading to find a new series while waiting for Winds of Winter, and fell in love with the characters and story, and am proud my theory was proven right in the final paragraph. About to read the Viscount and The Witch.

All in all, check this series out, its worth it. Also, cool to see the author and his wife post here. Great work Michael. I loved the character development for the 4 main characters. And Magnus...

• 4 months later...

Sullivan returns to self-publishing:

http://www.riyria.bl...llow-world.html

I have an update. Since my announcement, I have sold the print book rights to Tachyon Publishing and the audio book rights to Recorded Books. I'll keep the ebook rights so I'll stil be self-publishing - but only the ebook (which is the format that works best in self-publishing anyway.)

Just finished the series today. Wow. Great stuff.

I'd love to explore more of the world after the series conclusion, but will be satisfied with the prequels of Ryira Chronicles.

All in all, check this series out, its worth it. Also, cool to see the author and his wife post here. Great work Michael. I loved the character development for the 4 main characters. And Magnus...

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond - releasing 3 books (essentially) within a few weeks of each other has been crazy to handle on the logistics front. I'm just now coming up for air.

I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Elan and that you liked Magnus - he doesn't get nearly as much "lovin'" as he should.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thread necro:

Looks like there is going to be a 5 book prequel series and MJS has already finished writing it.

http://firstempireseries.com/

My thoughts about Riyria:

I enjoyed it but the books have their faults. I am not surprised at all at the SH review, the books were rather poorly edited. It was very annoying that Orbit picked it up but didn't fix the errors. I mean stuff like the "chaining the kingdoms to a poverty of weakness" the SH reviewer mentioned.

I intend to read the upcoming First Empire series. I hope they will be better edited. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I have listened to what now seems to be the first half of the first volume of the Ryirian Chronicles series over on Podiobooks, where it
is (was?) available for free. It was OK, but very by-the-numbers, I thought. Nice to listen to while doing chores, but didn't inspire
me to go out and actually buy the rest of them. It stands alone pretty well, since AFAIK the first volume as published now is an omnibus
of the first 2 installments of the series as written and self-published. So, worth a try if somebody is interested.

Archived