Michael Sullivan's The Riyria Revelations series

With Rye

I recently received my copy of Nyphron Rising and was about to start tonight on a reread of the first two books to refresh my memory.

It was interesting to read Sullivan's comments on the artwork.

By the way, I do enjoy the books.

I've read all three of the books that have been released so far. The first one is the weakest with the second and third both being pretty good. I'm definitely looking forward to the next one.

I've read all three of the books that have been released so far. The first one is the weakest with the second and third both being pretty good. I'm definitely looking forward to the next one.

It's good to hear that they improve since I started my reread of the first book and was not impressed. I'll continue on in the hopes that the next two books are better.

I have read and enjoyed the first two books, and plan on getting the third. It's sad that the major book stores are not picking up on this guy. He should be getting a wider distribution. At this point you can order the books from him at his website, but Barnes & Noble, Borders and I think even Amazon don't have them available. Anyone know of other options? Whats cool is if you order from the Author's site he will sign the book at no extra cost.

I got the first book from Amazon before I found out you could get them from the author's website. I just checked and Amazon has the other two books as well. But getting them signed is so cool why would you bother with Amazon? :D

I have read and enjoyed the first two books, and plan on getting the third. It's sad that the major book stores are not picking up on this guy. He should be getting a wider distribution. At this point you can order the books from him at his website, but Barnes & Noble, Borders and I think even Amazon don't have them available. Anyone know of other options? Whats cool is if you order from the Author's site he will sign the book at no extra cost.

I usually order from Barnes & Noble, but I notice that I got the second book from Amazon. The third book, however, is from B&N.

I will say the second book is a big improvement over the the first and the third seems also to be better.

I've had them ordered at thebookdepository so hopefully they will be in my possession soon. I am looking forward to reading them because i've heard a lot of good things about them. I also read an excerpt somewhere which didn't disappoint me.

OK, I just ordered all three books from his website after reading the replies and the excerpt from book one. I really like how clean and simple the story is, and I mean that in the best possible way. I get the sense that Michael Sullivan just wants to tell us a story and not trying to be the next greatest fantasy author who's going to destroy all fantasy cliches and freaking man-handle and remake the genre to his whim and likeness. It's refreshing.

Of course, I just read three sample chapters, but I do have a good feeling about these books.

At this point you can order the books from him at his website, but Barnes & Noble, Borders and I think even Amazon don't have them available. Anyone know of other options?

Not sure why you could not find these on B&N, Amazon, or Borders. I had no problem finding them. The links below can be used for each venue.

The Crown Conspiracy: B&N | Amazon(Kindle) | Amazon (paperback) | Borders

Avempartha: B&N | Amazon (Kindle) | Amazon (Paperback) | Borders

Nyphron Rising: B&N | Amazon (kindle) | Amazon (paperback) | Borders

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It might be harder to get The Crown Conspiracy right now. See this post on Fantasy Book Critic. The publisher will be doing a second printing but they won't be in the bookstores for awhile. The other two books (Avempartha and Nyphron Rising) are not effected.

The author has a limited supply for sale to hold over between the printings. This is the link.

• 1 month later...

I've written up a review for the first book, The Crown Conspiracy, over at my blog. Here's what I think!

The Crown Conspiracy, the first book of a planned series of six novels called The Riyria Revelations, reacts against the gritty, realistic sorts of fantasy popular today and returns to the kinder, more pastoral early days of the genre that spawned the farm boy and frumpy wizard motifs. But since I'm late to the genre, I haven't actually read a high enough volume of classic fantasy to sigh wearily about the same old same old. The stories I'm used to are written by sadistic, potty-mouthed authors who devise plotlines tortuous enough to make astronauts dizzy while they gnaw on a fresh femur of a main character they recently killed off.

So when I first started reading The Crown Conspiracy, I was, ironically, a bit disarmed by the honest, straightforward style of the story. I don't mean the story's boring or flat—I mean it reads like the kind of direct, natural story someone would tell you in a tavern corner, without any rehearsal or greater agenda than to entertain. Granted, Michael Sullivan hints that the sixth book will be a doozy and socks will get knocked off. This is awesome to hear of course, but I realize, having finished half the series already (reviews coming soon!), I don't need plot twists to keep me reading. I've grown quite fond and comfortable of the fact that when I open up one of these books, I won't get bombarded by sudden character betrayals and earth-shattering turns of events every other page. I haven't settled in and relaxed with a story for a while, if you know what I mean, and really enjoy the easy-going mood. Old, for me, is the new new...

• 9 months later...

The buzz has been growing steadily on this series. Every blogger raves about it and it has been on my wishlist for quite a while.

The only drawback is that it's quite hard to find a bookstore that has all installments on stock. My favorite - bookdepository.com lacks Avempartha (book 2) on stock. Amazon.co.uk has them all, but prices are too high for my budget.:thumbsdown:

Some days ago, I tried to download Avempartha for free from Barnes & Noble, but the offer was reserved only for US citizens.

So, I guess I'll have to wait for next printing. :(

This man is a spreader of calumnies and must be stopped.

I just went to blogspot and hit 'Next Blog' a few dozen times. All I got were Mom & Dad blogs and nary a hint of Ryria buzz. At least I got tips on raising a family with a little bit of Faith.

I just recently started this series. I really enjoyed The Crown Conspiracy and am just a few chapters into Avempartha. For what it is, it's great fun. A simple, well-told story with characters I like in a world that seems interesting. Not much in the way of world-building in that first book, though from what I understand that stuff kicks in starting with book 2.

Anyway, for fun, old-school fantasy adventure, I think this series works very well.

Archived