ASOS Reread

Ser Nevarc

It has been a while since I read "Storm" actually. I forgot the Prologue was Chett. A few questions:

Were you pulling for Chett, or did you hate him and his cause? Can you understand his treason?

Am I the only one who thinks Brienne's boulder thing was way too Hollywood-ish?

Catelyn's chapter: less boring than her usual ones?

Chett's rebellion was more indicative of the Night's Watch as an organization than any personal failing of the Lord Commander. As Donal Noye says later, the Watch is not what it was...there are too few knights and honorable men to keep the brigands in check. That said, I still cannot sympathize with Chett's decision, and the man got what he deserved. He was lazy, spiteful, cruel, and dim-witted.

Brienne's boulder maneuver was more trying to indicate that she's not mentally dull, I think, and also to show she's quick on her feet and also THAT strong. The reader hasn't quite experienced that yet.

Personally, I'm interested to hear what you all thought the first time you read Storm of Swords and saw the POV heading JAIME over the first chapter. I remember being both surprised and infuriated, as at that point in the series I think the Kingslayer was one of everyone's most hated characters. Now, of course, seeing Jaime as the POV of the upcoming chapter is perhaps the most exciting, as he is by far my favorite, but still.

The surprising thing about the prologue, to me, was that so many of the men seemed willing to follow Mormont's plan even though it meant almost certain death. Perhaps had they not been attacked that night there might have been more abandonment. Chett was still a miserable man, and got what was coming to him.

I didn't care for Brienne's boulder. I didn't really see how it was really possible and had troubling picturing it in my mind.

As for Catelyn, I find myself trying to look at her in a different light during this reread. When I met Martin back in October at ValleyCon, he complained that so many of his readers called Catelyn "whiny" (which I thought she was too). But he pointed out that she very rarely complains to other people. She might have thoughts that could be considered "whiny" but she has also faced great tragedy. So I've been trying to understand her more than judge her, and thus haven't had the trouble reading her chapters that I did before.

I don't remember if it was in the Jamie or Catelyn chapter, but there was a mention of the "Battle of the Bells" during Robert's Rebellion. I looked it up and read about it online, but I'm curious if this is the first mention we have it?

Yeah, that's the battle. I was surprised that I didn't even remember reading the name of the battle before this. I realized that I seriously didn't understand/know everything that went on during Robert's Rebellion. Although the last time I read the series was before AFfC came out. I've been putting off a reread until I heard DwD was coming out, but decided that was a losing proposition.

their is detail about the Battle of the Bells in the Arya chapter where they find the people in crow cages and spend the night at the "Peach". Arya and Gendry are told by one of Robert's bastard that Robert was wounded and hid in a house in the village, and ambushed the mad kings forces (which were led by his hand at the time), after the battle was over the village's bells were rang to announce the battle was over. they were also told that after the battle Robert "rang" her mothers bells.

Are Lark the Sisterman and Small Paul the only ones in the conspiracy who survived the Fist?

Did we ever learn the names of all 14 conspirators? I'm not sure we even know who all survived. This will have to wait until I've read a little further.

Day 2:

The Arya chapter: Big conclusion to the cliffhanger at the end of aCoK. Was this the time when you really started to respect Arya? For me, it was. She definitely matures a lot in aSoS with the loss of family.

Do you:

Sympathize with Tyrion's fall from power, which is physically personified?

Enjoy Davos's "stranded" "misery" chapter, or find it tedious?

Probably the most powerful part of that Tyrion chapter was him finally confronting Tywin over his heir. It's something that had been in the back of my head the entire time I read the series for the first time, and to see just how much Tywin hates his son on the page is incredible.

I'll talk about the Arya/Davos chapters later but I really just had to throw that out there.

Oh yes, the end of Tyrion's chapter is bold, and even poignant in a way. Since we sympathize with Tyrion, and Tywin feels distant throughout the series, the sequence really illustrates their relationship. This is the first real personal encounter of them since the fighting of Robb way back.

Also, the chapter has some psychoanalytic value. Tyrion's desire for Casterly Rock, I feel, is not so much for the Rock, but more of a desire for acceptance, worth, and some identity. Though he is certainly unique, he has never really in life had a steady activity. He is unmarried, holds no land, is despised and distrusted by many, unaccepted by most, and has had his first brush with leadership over the past fleeting year. And this direct questioning of Tywin is very telling of how these feelings are finally catching up to the witty-speaking dwarf. Is this surfacing from his recent brush with death, or has the Imp finally had enough?

I would wager that Tyrion, having lost his influence in King's Landing to his father (who has always overshadowed him) is beginning to feel a sense of panic and helplessness. This was his shot to gain some power back. Even if not the Handship anymore, being Lord Tyrion really appeals to him.

Interesting stuff.

Great reread for me so far.

Archived