>1cm snow expected in uk, whole country to close indefinately!

BigFatCoward

all of you people in canada, northern US and any other country who have to deal with snow on a regular basis should come to the UK to watch the total clusterfu(k which will be the UK's response to inclement weather. it brings joy to my heart as 8 million people try and get into work by car sharing. trains, buses and tubes all stop as the first snowflake melts on the road. its hilarious (well it is for me as i can walk to work).

how on earth did we use to have an empire. i suppose africa and india are hot, we'd have been screwed trying to colonize iceland.

all of you people in canada, northern US and any other country who have to deal with snow on a regular basis should come to the UK to watch the total clusterfu(k which will be the UK's response to inclement weather. it brings joy to my heart as 8 million people try and get into work by car sharing. trains, buses and tubes all stop as the first snowflake melts on the road. its hilarious (well it is for me as i can walk to work).

how on earth did we use to have an empire. i suppose africa and india are hot, we'd have been screwed trying to colonize iceland.

The tube stops when snow falls? The tube??

Does snow fall below the surface in the UK, or what? :blink:

Oh, that almost sounds like Cologne. Just that the tube doesn't stop its work. :D

There usually isn't much snow in my region so when it snows all hell breaks loose.

I really wondered that it hasn't happened today because we had our first snow of the season (3 flakes in 5 rows) and nothing serious happened. In Cologne itself that is. May have been different outside of town where there was more snow.

genarally only the middle 3rd of the tube is underground, so it causes chaos, can they just run the underground bit without confusion? can they shite!

See, when you say 'the UK', you are in fact speaking mainly for the bit of it you live in. Lots of other bits frequently suffer considerable snowfalls and cope fine. (Such as the bit I live in, for example.)

We got 15cm of snow in about two or three hours here in my part of Sweden today. And then it kept on snowing. I think we hit 40 centimetres by midday, and I'm pretty sure it kept snowing since then. It was no fun trying to do my job in that, I can assure you. People drive like total morons when the snow hits, and it hits us every year, you'd think they would catch on by now.

On the plus side, I got to drift with a 30,000 lbs truck.

See, when you say 'the UK', you are in fact speaking mainly for the bit of it you live in. Lots of other bits frequently suffer considerable snowfalls and cope fine. (Such as the bit I live in, for example.)

i stand corrected, i'm talking about the 90% of people who live in places where shiny pebbles are no longer a currency. :laugh:

i stand corrected, i'm talking about the 90% of people who live in places where shiny pebbles are no longer a currency. :laugh:

Would this be the wussy weather conditions you were speaking of?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8416010.stm

Up to 20cm of snow could fall in some parts of Kent, Sussex, Surrey, London and East Anglia, with gale-force winds causing drifts, forecasters say.

Up here in Scotland, of course, we moved off the 'shiny pebble' system a while back and now trade in fine whisky. :hat:

This is about the same in my country. The southern part, as it is much more hilly going towards the Alpes, gets much more snow than we in the west and can handle it quite well. :)

I live in Canada, and our whole city shuts down with a few cm of snow too. We had a massive emergency snow warning for this past Tuesday, but we woke up to a massive rainfall instead, which doesn't break the city at least.

It's like people forget how to drive and travel anywhere when the ground is just covered with white.

I live in Canada, and our whole city shuts down with a few cm of snow too. We had a massive emergency snow warning for this past Tuesday, but we woke up to a massive rainfall instead, which doesn't break the city at least.

It's like people forget how to drive and travel anywhere when the ground is just covered with white.

Seriously? In Canada? What part?

People in Boston just get on with business. It'll slow down traffic and people will whine, but things keep functioning.

EDIT: I see you're in Western Canada now. I guess it's more like Washington/Oregon weather wise eh?

There usually isn't much snow in my region so when it snows all hell breaks loose.

It is exactly the same here is Spain. Year after year we have these 3 or 4 heavy blizzards, with hundreds of people trapped in their cars for hours, and yet year after year there is total chaos on the roads and in the cities.

Oh I remember last year when you lot got a big snowfall in London. It was like all of England just took a holiday for about 3 days or something.

Two years ago it happened in Athens. We got perhaps 10 or 12 cm. and the schools were closed for three days. :wacko:

Students asked me how we got to work etc. in Detroit when it snowed. I answered that we leave earlier. Snow chains were required to drive in the city. Yes. In the city.

Seriously? In Canada? What part?

EDIT: I see you're in Western Canada now. I guess it's more like Washington/Oregon weather wise eh?

Yeah, not all of Canada is a frozen wasteland :P I'm right near the coast, we have roughly the same weather as Seattle.

I can report that the chaos has allready started. there is currently about 2mm of snow on the ground and it is just starting to settle on the main roads (A13). My 25 min journey took me about an hour due to reduced visability and I whitnessed three minor crashes.

Yay! Lets hope it stops snowing soon or I'm not sure when It'll still be morning by the time I get home tomorrow.

Archived