>1cm snow expected in uk, whole country to close indefinately!

BigFatCoward

Most of the work staff in today are from a nearby town called Shipley and when the local radio station reported that it had started snowing heavily in Shipley there was such a groan. Only the office dog is enjoying the snow atm.

I shouldn't laugh as the bus service to my estate has being cancelled so I've got another nice snow covered trip up the hill.

I'll tell you what sucks about this weather: 15 year olds underfoot everywhere you go. I walk up the snow/ice/slush-covered hills to get to the high street - kids are playing outside and obstructing my path! I go to Waitrose* to buy essential food supplies - ten kids are queuing up to each buy a bottle of Sprite at the express tills. I go to buy a hot chocolate to reward myself for getting out of my sick bed today - the coffee shop is full of kids milling about, either not even buying anything at all or taking up all the seating while sharing one drink between four.

IT SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED, I TELL YOU.

*any time it snows it looks like the end of the fucking world in there anyway

Haven't bothered to read the other 19 pages of this thread, so shoot me down if this has already been discussed. :rolleyes:

Surely we don't have to be so badly affected each time snow falls? It snows somewhere every year in the British Isles...

Some forward planning is common sense. :idea:

For example, teachers should have a designated school that they go to in a bad weather situation. Likewise, kids should all make for the nearest school to them. Obviously, those too far away don't bother... Kids should bring a spade and clear paths/playgrounds instead of PE. It will teach them community spirit, teamwork, and stickability. Their parents can then work from home in peace, or struggle into work if they have to.

Lots of schools use the internet as a teaching aid, this needs developing so that teachers can set lessons online and check that the kids are doing the work.

All able-bodied persons stuck at home should be obliged to clear the pavement and roads nearby. There's so much whingeing about how everything grinds to a halt, but most people stay inside and watch telly or go sledging! I walked for half an hour to the shops today, and saw only two people clearing snow from their drives.

None of this is rocket science. Or expensive.

Sat 5 hours at London Bridge station last night waiting for Southern Rail to clear two broken down trains at Purley. And then the first train out from London Bridge couldn't move at first cos the brakes were frozen solid. Great.

We have about 4 inches down here, although it seems Croydon has like a foot and more. And it's -5 and dropping. Just WTH??

I feel your pain. I was stuck going the other way, it took three and a half hours to get from Haywards Heath to Shepherds Bush. Missed my birthday dinner, and part of the gig I'd been looking forward to for months. But we were lucky to have a good journey home; I've heard that some football fans couldn't get home at all later on...

Looks like my garden, but with added dog. Are you somewhere in Southern England, too?

Gah, I just saw photos of the snowstorm across Europe!! I was in Tuscany a few weeks ago and the rain was unending. Weeks and weeks of rain and flooding in Tuscany, now this snowstorm across northern Europe- down to Milan really... I think our saying Winter is Coming regularly is the cause.

POD!!! :tantrum:

We bravely dug our car out this morning and got into work. Almost no traffic out and there's snow everywhere. Luckily you can skid around a bit since there's almost no cars. Think the trains are still buggered, but trains will be trains. They're the same in Germany, Scandinavia and Belgium.

What I don't get is the amazing belly aching going on in UK media about it though. It's weather, DEAL WITH IT! Every now and then, bad weather happens. Yes it sort of sucks, but it's not really the end of the world, is it?

EDIT: -6 this morning, from what the car said once we got it started around 8.30 and around 30 cm of snow.

Oof. -10 this morning, and my nose literally froze off.

And without the protection of my nose, I could literally feel the ice crystals forming on my brain.

It’s like frozen porridge in there. :wacko:

I believe I had a similar event, when I got in I spent 5 minutes getting a simple ebay order to france wrong because I kept forgetting to set the options to france for that particular order

Gah, I just saw photos of the snowstorm across Europe!! I was in Tuscany a few weeks ago and the rain was unending. Weeks and weeks of rain and flooding in Tuscany, now this snowstorm across northern Europe- down to Milan really... I think our saying Winter is Coming regularly is the cause.

POD!!! :tantrum:

If only HBO had started filming in december.

I'm serious too, they could've shot the wall outside my university campus.

So because of Icey conditions they've been skipping my station out for the last few mornings and dumping everyone at the next station. At the top of a hill that hasnt seen grit since when the roads were initially laid. Getting home is a combination of shuffling/ice skating.

Fuck winter, fuck snow.

Grit Crystal Palace you bitches!

Archived