NFL VI - I'm dreaming of a White Christmas...

Mya Stone

Teams are discovering exactly how reliant Brady is on Welker to run through the offense, much like they discovered how reliant Manning is on Clark. The difference so far is that Brady has not been able to adapt reasonably well, and he's not been able to rely on other weapons. I expect that to change.

Week 15 and 2 to go:

-Pats play a moribund Bills team, have a lot of “screw you” pent-up frustration, hoping to get Moss to come up big, and …. They win by 7 in a relatively “meh” performance. Way to not suck that bad, guys. My favorite part of the game was the Randy Moss post-game sound bite where he said that “these shoulders… you can put the weight of the world on them…” I mean, Randy… its not like you survived a plane crash wherein you lost your mom, daughter and wife, and then stormed on the field and had a 12-163 2 TD day. Every now and then I think you sound like a lunatic.

Moss had a decent game against a bad football team. He doesn't deserve a lot of the criticism he has been receiving but he shouldn't act like that performance will shut them up.

Can I just say that Moss' beard is working for me. I kind of like the homeless guy look. Moss after the Bills game

Oh I dunno, I think the beard looks good on him. That hat, though, doesn't do him any favors.

Speaking of real bums, I think I've finally run out of excuses for Jay Cutler. His team is bad, his line is bad, his receivers bad, no running game to speak of. But I have to finally agree that none of that excuses his decision making. He makes God-awful throws. He just has to realize that he can't nut a ball into triple coverage and throwing the ball away is a good thing.

Speaking of real bums, I think I've finally run out of excuses for Jay Cutler. His team is bad, his line is bad, his receivers bad, no running game to speak of. But I have to finally agree that none of that excuses his decision making. He makes God-awful throws. He just has to realize that he can't nut a ball into triple coverage and throwing the ball away is a good thing.

I don't know that much about Cutler in Denver, though I don't think he was all that with his decisions over there either, though I suspect he had less of them to make. It's been an swful season for him, but the spiral downward has progressed as he's had little to less support from a coaching staff that doesn't know what day of the week it is when there's a game on Sunday. I think we all realize that if he's given a coaching staff with some semblence of football knowledge, players who want to guard him on the line, players to throw to, yada yada yada...if wishes were horses, eh?

Bottom line though: It was still a good move by the Bears to get Cutler. Sadly, in his everlasting lunacy, Jerry Angelo forgot he had to keep making moves to make the Cutler acquisiton something more than bread and circuses. I'm all for waiting to see who the Bears get in all of the key positions for next season, because we all know that in their infinite wisdom, they'll eff it all up and not land any big name coaches or general managers because they'll wait too long...Cutler deserves better.

Redskins offensive line: what did your quarterbacks ever do to you? Sleep with your wives?

not just the QB, but the kicker. I'm wondering if Zorn called that last play as payback for how Snyder has treayed him. :stunned:

Jax...again I agree wholeheartedly Cutler has NO help but some of those throws he makes...wow. Not poor decisions...amazingly boneheaded. And in the red zone. He doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. Bears fans have to hope that a good coaching staff can coach him out of these bad habits.

Jax...again I agree wholeheartedly Cutler has NO help but some of those throws he makes...wow. Not poor decisions...amazingly boneheaded.

No doubt about it. Part of it is bad decision-making sure, but too much of it is the man feeling the entire weight of the team on his shoulders and believing he has to make the plays himself.

The unfortunate part of the whole deal is that Cutler has tons of talent, but the Bears will do the same thing next season to help Cutler out that they did this season: nothing. They wanted a franchise quarterback so badly and finally got one, but it's obvious they don't know how to build a team around one. I mean, they sold the near future to get Cutler and then proceeded to talk about how the Bears were a run-first team. How freaking stupid can they be?

The answer? Really, really, really, really, really stupid.

not just the QB, but the kicker. I'm wondering if Zorn called that last play as payback for how Snyder has treayed him. :stunned:

Jax...again I agree wholeheartedly Cutler has NO help but some of those throws he makes...wow. Not poor decisions...amazingly boneheaded. And in the red zone. He doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. Bears fans have to hope that a good coaching staff can coach him out of these bad habits.

Zorn's not calling the offensive plays anymore, or did they give that back to him? Very strange play, especially with the Giants timeout right before. Really looked like they were praying for something, anything,to happen. Thought the Giants might have taken it back for a TD after the INT. Not a good way to go into the locker room.

No doubt about it. Part of it is bad decision-making sure, but too much of it is the man feeling the entire weight of the team on his shoulders and believing he has to make the plays himself.

Really this is what I mean. Cutler's bad decision making seems to have increased as the team slips further and further out of Lovie's hands (I'm not sure it was ever in Ron Turner's as far as the offense is concerned). And with no support from a coaching staff that's had to have known for weeks that they needed to get their resume's into some sort of twists and contortions to hopefully land another gig somewhere else, there's been no break on Cutler's choices.

Eh. I doubt that the coaches have done Cutler any favors, but at the same time Cutler's gone from okay with flashes of brilliance to bad with flashes of Grossman. And all of that is on him; there are throws he's making that no sane QB should be remotely throwing. It's bad.

He has all the physical skills he could want and probably better than anyone else in the league, but something's just wrong with him. And I don't honestly know whether or not it's fixable.

Eh. I doubt that the coaches have done Cutler any favors, but at the same time Cutler's gone from okay with flashes of brilliance to bad with flashes of Grossman. And all of that is on him; there are throws he's making that no sane QB should be remotely throwing. It's bad.

He has all the physical skills he could want and probably better than anyone else in the league, but something's just wrong with him. And I don't honestly know whether or not it's fixable.

Get him coaching and some players around him and get him back to the Jay Cutler who went to the Pro Bowl and I'll be satisfied. Don't have to fix and/or repair him beyond that I think.

Yes, when it comes to the ability to sling that ball, Cutler is a top-tier NFL'er. But it's about a lot more than that and it's all the other stuff that we're not sure about anymore. Although I'll say that I don't think Cutler lacks confidence. He might have too much confidence, in fact.

That's a major factor, I think. Throwing it away is not really an option because he believes he will complete the pass. That's why he needs a tough, smart QB coach and offensive coordinator to drill some sense into him. Lose the tunnel-vision that makes him only see the guys in the Bears uniforms and realize that sometimes taking the sack or throwing the ball away is the right choice to make.

Again, this all depends on the Bears organization getting him what he needs. If they don't put the coaching and players around him to give him time and compliment his skill set, next season will be the end for Jay Cutler. The mantra will change from "the Bears have never had a franchise quarterback" to "the Bears might have had half a dozen franchise quarterbacks but their system ruins them".

Hell, when a pro bowl quarterback comes to the Bears and starts playing eerily similar to Rex Grossman, it makes me start to think that maybe Rex wasn't completely at fault.

I have not watched many Bears games this season (thank God), but everything I have seen in the few national games and in highlights seems to show the same thing: Jay Cutler making terrible decisions, staring down receivers and making passes that no smart QB would make. I do not think the issue is a poor QB coach, nor do I think that's the answer.

Cutler was very good in Denver, but he had a stud WR - Brandon Marshall. While in Denver, while his yards were always very good, Cutler never hit the "great" plateau with a 2:1 TD to INT ratio. He has always thrown more picks than one would like. Now with the Bears, without any #1 quality WR, Cutler is just doing more of the bad.

As far as his "physical gifts" I thought we actually discussed this earlier in the season: pretty much every starting QB in the NFL has a great arm. That is not the defining characteristic of a great QB; what separates a great QB is throwing accurate passes consistently and making good decisions. Cutler's decision making is terrible; his passes are not accurate. When you combine those two elements, I do not care how great your arm is, you are going to turn the ball over. Turnovers kill teams. Ergo, Jay Cutler is killing the Bears.

I understand the desire to NOT blame Cutler. I did the same thing with Drew Bledsoe in the 90's. Bledsoe's INT #s were always really high, but I would always say that it was because he was forcing passes to receivers because he thought HE had to win the game himself. What was actually going on was that Bledsoe's decision making was terrible, he was slowing down and not able to check down receivers, and was relying on his arm strength to overcome his other deficiencies. When Tom Brady inherited the same exact offense, the results were remarkably different.

You also have to take into account that in Denver he had a porous defense and was almost always playing from behind as well as nine different running backs throughout the course of the season. I don't feel like looking up exact stats right now, but he was throwing something like 50 times per game, which is outrageous.

I don't think anyone, even the most die-hard Bears fan, will argue that Cutler makes bad decisions. A QB, offensive and/or head coach who takes no BS will help that. More experienced WRs and maybe a stud like Marshall will help that. Many things will help the Bears offense, but it starts first and foremost with Cutler changing the way he plays. If he can't or won't, then he will be a failure as the Bears starting QB.

I don't think anyone, even the most die-hard Bears fan, will argue that Cutler makes bad decisions. A QB, offensive and/or head coach who takes no BS will help that.

The key there being "help that". I don't know that Cutler can ever be cured, but he can be helped and then that TD to INT ratio might just get back into line and show some improvement.

Archived