Football 16

Mme Erzulie

Couple of things:

Title race wide open at the moment where it seemed to become a two horse race a while ago. Both Chelsea and Man U struggle. Chelsea will lose some players, but on the other hand has lots of strength in depth. Still, they're likely to be weaker for it. Man U on the other hand has defenders returning, but who knows for how long this time. I'd like to see a Fletcher/Carrick central midfield stay in place, and Valencia on the wing as well. I don't see who would be better than Giggs on the left wing at the moment either. Arsenal, I still feel that the lack of strikers is going to cost them dearly. Liverpool on the other hand I feel are being discounted a bit too early as a top 4 team for the year by the pundits on tv. I don't think much of Benitez but I would not be surprised if Liverpool hold off Villa this week and that that signals a return to a higher level.

And finally: Robinho. I cannot believe that Dunga has seen his deplorable play this whole season and still wants him in his first 11 Brazil side. The man is simply unworthy and it is hard to believe he will stay in place with the bags of talent Brazil has in forwards and offensive midfielders ( such as Ronaldinho and Pato who aren't being selected sofar).

I think we may have seen the end of the Chelsea diamond today. They were hopeless in the first half against Fulham but in the second half they used the with of the pitch properly and got the win. Plus Mourinho was watching so they needed to get a win in front of him what with their Champion's League opponents being Inter Milan.

And Liverpool do manage to grab a win at Villa Park (good call by Calibander). Torres may not yet be fit, but he still grabbed a late winner. We had a significant majority of possession and more shots on goal, even though we were the away side. But it sounds like we weren't all that clinical in front of goal until the dying seconds. Reina made a couple of important saves from dangerous break-aways.

Villa were probably tired from the Arsenal game, but they fielded a full strength team apart from the suspended Ashley Young. They're often strong in the first half of the season because they focus on a strong starting 11, but use little rotation/resting beyond the first 11. So they get the benefit of a consistent line-up until the players get tired. This is why they tend to fade late in the season. They have a little more depth this season, but it remains to be seen if they will finish more strongly this year.

Unfortunately, neither FSC or ESPN2 showed the game. Bolton vs. Hull had an exciting finish as Hull came back to 2-2 and then both sides chased a winner, but I'm surprised that the Villa vs. Liverpool game wasn't selected for broadcast.

Let's see if Liverpool can sustain this against Spurs, who are not defending all that well lately, but whose attacking play is sure to trouble our dodgy defense.

They still have Ramsey

O_o

He's a prospect for the future. He's not someone I would think of as someone to rely on this season. Before him I would think of the rest of the regular first 11 as more important and influential. I hope things haven't got that desperate.

I feel stupid, but relieved because I just realized Diaby is French and not African. He used to be shit, but he's starting to have some performances that make me think he could turn into a decent midfielder. Losing Song to the African Cup will suck--even more with Fabregas' touchy hamstring--but at least Diaby can fill in a little.

Liverpool may have saved their season today. I agree that Villa will probably fade, but Man City should be tougher under Mancini. I doubt Liverpool will end up in the top four, but it could happen, although Torres looks so beat up he won't last much longer this season.

O_o

He's a prospect for the future. He's not someone I would think of as someone to rely on this season. Before him I would think of the rest of the regular first 11 as more important and influential. I hope things haven't got that desperate.

He plays pretty much exactly the same role as Fabregas though, which means they can put him in and play the same way. Nasri and Diaby also play the position but do it differently. I imagine it would be Arshavin and Rosicky who take on the responsibilities, but Ramsey being around is a good option for them.

The loss of Song is more of a concern in the short-term, I'd say - there's no other holding mids in the squad which leaves Denilson holding defensive responsibilities alone.

Megson sacked.

I knew watching the Hull game it was going to be his last in charge. That game was more or less the apotheosis of Bolton under Megson - an early attack that reaped immediate dividends, ball and players flying everywhere but no midfield cohesion and a brittle, twitchy defense.

He complained in the press conference about fans booing his subs. He was right, a lot of the people who hate him are numpties with Sam-era delusions of grandeur and shibboleth about 442s, but he didn't (couldn't) address the reason he was shortly to depart: we had a worse defense despite signing three defenders over the break.

The defensive Bolton stereotypes were rarely accurate even back in the day but under Megson's tenure you didn't feel safe unless we had three on the board. That was at least a prospect thanks to some astute signings by the Ginger One (Lee, Klasnic, Cohen, Taylor) and a skillful rekindling of the talents of Gardner and Davies, but our inability to hold leads, let alone maintain a clean sheet was intolerable.

Whoever comes in next must address this as soon as possible, hopefully the fans will give them a few hours to impress at least.

So whose the likeliest to go next? Phil Brown? Zola?

I think there's little chance of Zola going unless West Ham get new ownership in. New owners will want their own man (See Mark Hughes). But while the current ownership is there, it would seem silly to sack Zola if you don't have the money to try to improve things in January.

Phil Brown needs Bullard to come fit and save his job again. Physioroom says he'll be back on the 30th of January.

If I'm Mark Hughes, I don't take that job. I'd want a club thats mid table. Bolton is a hiding to nothing.

Um, we've two games in hand and a win would put us right back in mid-table. I know it's hard keeping track of us lesser lights but do get some perspective.

Archived