NFL Thread - Conference Championship Round

Mack Kilimaro

loosing clifton late in the game was painful and may well have cost them the game given that the the player that blindsided Rogdergs and knocked the ball loose came around the left side of the o-line (Clifton plays left tackle).

The loss of Clifton certainly hurt, but overall I think the blame falls on Rodgers for holding onto the ball a little too long. It was one of his weak points all throughout the season, as the offensive line was really bad at times but more than a few of those sacks came because he simply didn't get rid of the ball soon enough. This time it cost his team a playoff game that was theirs to lose at that point.

If they had called the penalty and it resulted in a Packers first down, that would have been a worse result.

Agree with this, but a penalty should have been called. Since the ball was out when the facemask occurred, it should have been a 15-yard penalty from the spot of the foul and Arizona ball.

Oh I'm sorry, I had you confused with an annoying fan of a less pathetic team. :)

:lmao:

No need to take out your angst on others, big guy. The pain will subside and the embarrassment will fade. The sun will come out, tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, there will be sun! Just thinking about tomorrow clears away the cobwebs, and the sorrow til there's none! When I'm stuck a day that's gray, and lonely, I just stick out my chin and grin, and say, oh the sun will come out tomorrow so ya gotta hang on til tomorrow, come what may.

No need to take out your angst on others, big guy. The pain will subside and the embarrassment will fade. The sun will come out, tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, there will be sun! Just thinking about tomorrow clears away the cobwebs, and the sorrow til there's none! When I'm stuck a day that's gray, and lonely, I just stick out my chin and grin, and say, oh the sun will come out tomorrow so ya gotta hang on til tomorrow, come what may.

Be this trolling or be this an awesome your-team-just-got-eliminated burn?

I say both.

I felt that half the teams this weekend didn't look at all like playoff teams. The Patriots were a huge surprise, and the Eagles only somewhat less. No surprise that (to me at least) the Bengals and Jets were the other two. And I am positively giddy that the Chargers get the Jets and the Colts, as a result of their better record, get the supposedly easier (by rankings) game against the Ravens. That team looks very scary. I am hoping the Chargers cruise and that the Colts and Ravens beat the *@W#%^& out of each other, with the Ravens getting the win and having to stagger into San Diego.

Laying down against the Jets may come to bite the Colts in the arse. Letting them in as the 5th seed was not a very good plan, at least in retrospect.

I don't think Chargers fans could have had a better outcome this weekend.

And I heard that President McCain died of natural causes, killed by a caribou, with a 30-06, in a mall in Scottsdale.

No word on what happened to Tina Fey.

Agree with this, but a penalty should have been called. Since the ball was out when the facemask occurred, it should have been a 15-yard penalty from the spot of the foul and Arizona ball.

Agreed. Either its a penalty all the time or its not a penalty. Zona would have still won, but the ruling should have been made. Its possible that the ref's missed it (it happened REALLY fast), but the NFL has made it a point to protect the QBs, make shots to the head illegal, avoid unnecessary contact to the head (unless you are a running back and get to stiff-arm the shit out of every D person in the game), etc. But the rule is "no contact with the head" and no addition, such as "... unless its a really, really exciting play!"

The loss of Clifton certainly hurt, but overall I think the blame falls on Rodgers for holding onto the ball a little too long. It was one of his weak points all throughout the season, as the offensive line was really bad at times but more than a few of those sacks came because he simply didn't get rid of the ball soon enough. This time it cost his team a playoff game that was theirs to lose at that point.

I'm not saying that rodgers was not wholey to blame on that play. He should have been more aware of blindside pressure, especially with clifton out. There are several factors that mitigate that though. One, Rodgers had improved how quickly he was getting rid of the ball a great deal over the course of the season. he found himself in a situation where they were drastically behind with a defense that wasn't getting the job done. About the hope they had of coming back was to put up one hell of an air show. That put the weight on the QB's shoulders. Which means the QB is going to have to force things, hold on to the ball longer in hopes of making things happen and generally push the enevelope as far as he can in hopes of being able to drag his team back into it. After the first quarter or so Rodgers had responded brilliantly. it was his doing more than any other player that they had a chance to win at the end of the game. Three, if they couldn't make a first down on that play he couldn't count on the defense being able to stop Arizona. So I'm not sure it was a bad decision to hold the ball if nothing was open from his point of view. His thought was that either they score or they punt and watch arizona score. Four, he really didn't have the ball that long on that play. Maybe a tempo over when he ideally should have released it or moved out of the pocket but not all that long either. Yeah, it was not his finest moment and as the one who lost the ball he has to take some blame. But there is more than enough to go around that in light of his largely brilliant outing after a jittery start he deserves some slack.

Agreed. Either its a penalty all the time or its not a penalty. Zona would have still won, but the ruling should have been made. Its possible that the ref's missed it (it happened REALLY fast), but the NFL has made it a point to protect the QBs, make shots to the head illegal, avoid unnecessary contact to the head (unless you are a running back and get to stiff-arm the shit out of every D person in the game), etc. But the rule is "no contact with the head" and no addition, such as "... unless its a really, really exciting play!"

If the penalty were called explicitly after the fumble was recovered by Arizona, then that would be fine. But sometimes those hands to the face/roughing the passer penalties get called and wipe out interceptions that happen after the foul (but where the ball was thrown already). In this case, here's the order of things in the instant replay:

1. Arizona player knocks ball loose.

2. Arizona player hits Rodgers in face on follow through.

3. Fumble recovered in midair and returned for touchdown.

I've seen plays where because 3 happens after 2, and 2 is a penalty on the defense, it is no longer a turnover. And whether that is a by-the-book correct result, it is total bullshit and the worst kind of bailout penalty.

I think I might go out on a limb and take the Jets over the Chargers, though I'll make real picks later this week.

I really feel like the Jets' D and the fact that SD has zero running game should help them a bunch. Be interesting to see how V-Jax does out on Revis Island, though. If Sanchez doesn't self-destruct, I actually like the Jets' chances.

Me too. Norv Turner anyone? Jets by 10.

The Chargers have the depth to overcome the Revis factor. He can't shut down Jackson AND Gates AND (the underrated but vastly improved) Malcom Floyd.

LaDanian's health has improved and his running with it in the second half of the season. Though they still don't give it to him often enough.

Sure the Chargers don't run very much, but the Jets don't pass very well and this game is in 65 degree San Diego.

Unless the rain comes in a day early...

The Jets are still the team that went 7-7 before two teams went belly up for them, still the team that didn't exactly blow out the injury-depleted Bengals and they are still the team with the cross-country flight and hostile crowd.

The Chargers played their starters in all but their final game and the reserves played hard against the Redskins in that one.

The Chargers have the depth to overcome the Revis factor. He can't shut down Jackson AND Gates AND (the underrated but vastly improved) Malcom Floyd.

LaDanian's health has improved and his running with it in the second half of the season. Though they still don't give it to him often enough.

Sure the Chargers don't run very much, but the Jets don't pass very well and this game is in 65 degree San Diego.

Unless the rain comes in a day early...

The Jets are still the team that went 7-7 before two teams went belly up for them, still the team that didn't exactly blow out the injury-depleted Bengals and they are still the team with the cross-country flight and hostile crowd.

The Chargers played their starters in all but their final game and the reserves played hard against the Redskins in that one.

I think SD wins but I could see Jets putting up a real good fight. I think the game will be close but I think Rivers pulls it out in the end. He's too good not to.

I think Vikings beat Cowboys and Cardinals beat Saints.

Go Cards!!!

Watching the highlights of the game last night makes me realize that what the Bengals lack isn't talent but coaching. I mean, we lack talent, especially with all the injuries but our offensive coaching (ie: Bratkowski) has no idea how to design a scheme that isn't predictable. Instead of moving Ocho around, he sits in the same spot. Instead of lining up the RB as a WR sometimes, he sits in the same spot. Instead of lining the TE outside, he sits in the same spot. Then they run the same plays from those spots so it's incredibly easy to defend. Chad does curls and out patterns. Caldwell does some stutters and crossing patterns. Coles does curls and crossing patterns. That's it. No moving around personnel. No passing down the seam. No attempts downfield on a double move. No posts or skinny posts. Hardly any slants.

They talk about the lack fo speed but Caldwell ran a 4.35-4.40 40. He's not even close to slow. If they don't fire Bratkowski this year then I will have extremely low expectations for the Bengals next year.

I don't see any surprises out there this weekend

Vikings over Dallas-Dallas has been impressive lately but the Metrodome is a difficult place to pay and I have to give the overall talent edge to MN. This is the game that has the greatest potential to go the other way. I still see a MN win here.

NO over Arizona-I can't help but think the saints will get it back together. after their late season woes I'm not convinced that they will get a SB berth but I also don't see them getting knocked out right away either. They are the better team than AZ and while AZ has played has proven it can rise to the occasion both in the wild card round in in last years playoffs I don't see them getting past this one.

Indy over the Ravens-I would like an upset here. I really would. To expect one would be dreaming though. I don't really see this one being close.

San Diego over the Jets-NY simply is not going to be able to grind it out like they did this past weekend. San Diego is simply the better team and its going to show.

One thing mentioned by ESPN radio this morning is the fact that the ref in the back field has a primary responsibility to observe the fumble. Once that ball was out of Rodgers hands the ref wasnt going to be watching what happened to Rodgers. By the officiating rules he had to observe the ball, so unless that facemask happened in his field of view there was no chance of the ref catching it.

I don't see any surprises out there this weekend

There's almost always one upset in the divisional round.

I'm going to go with the Cards over the Saints. Saints would be my rooting interest to win the Super Bowl, now that the Eagles are out. But I feel like they have lost their will since clinching home field through the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong.

Vikings over Dallas. Can't help but think that Dallas has blown their energy overcoming the "can't win in December" thing AND the no playoff wins in 15 years.

Colts over Ravens. Would be very surprised to see the Colts not win here. Chargers are the only team I'd say is better than the Colts still left in the playoffs.

And Chargers over Jets.

Really, if we can just get the Cowboys and Jets out of the picture, I'll be pretty satisfied. They are my nightmare Super Bowl, two of my three least favorite teams.

As a lurking Colts fan, I think that everyone forgets the they have owned the Ravens for a long time. It doesn't matter what kind of game, they find a way to win. Of course, every time they rest the starters it comes back to bite them in the ass. We'll have to see what team shows up, but I think the Colts find a way to win.

Since I went 3-1 last week, and would've been 4-0 if not for my pathological fear of the Pats after seeing them dominate the Jets for so long, I guess I'll give this week a go:

Colts over Ravens- Usually I'd be pulling for the Colts here, since I rather like them. However if the Jets somehow beat the Chargers I'd much rather have them hosting the Ravens then having to go to the Colts, so go Ravens! I don't see it happening though, Colts are just too good and as has been mentioned, they've owned the Ravens the past several years.

Chargers over Jets- As much as I love the Jets, and as much as I think they'll keep this much closer then a lot of people think, I just don't think they have it in them yet to win this game. Maybe next year though. I do hope I'm wrong though.

Dallas over Vikings- Maybe just wishful thinking, since I really want to see Favre out of the playoffs, but except that dominating win over a terrible Giants team the Vikings just haven't look good recently, and Dallas has. Now that they're over their hump I see them in the Superbowl.

Cards over Saints- I think Saints have lost their mojo, and like I said last week after last year I refuse to pick against the Cards.

I think that most of these games will be close and interesting. The Saints Cards game should be a track meet, and Viks and Cow boys should be a good one. The Chargers and Colts should win; however, they have a way of screwing up in the playoffs. Despite that,they both win because they have more talent and are playing better right now.

As a lurking Colts fan, I think that everyone forgets the they have owned the Ravens for a long time. It doesn't matter what kind of game, they find a way to win. Of course, every time they rest the starters it comes back to bite them in the ass. We'll have to see what team shows up, but I think the Colts find a way to win.

We finally have a Colts fan posting here? Nice, please invite intelligent and opinionated friends. Let me remind you that each year is obviously different as the Patriots have owned the Ravens for some time up until last weekends disaster. Also how are the Colts playing better right now? The Playoffs is momentum. . . Who else has that then the Ravens?

Rumors are spreading that Al Davis is about to fire Cable, while personally I don't like the guy he did win a few games with a crappy team. Anyone that can motivate that team deserves another chance.

The Jets and Ravens will both likely be blitz crazy, looking to force an early turnover that could open up a lead. I think the Chargers are prepared to overcome such an event. The Colts technically should be, but after basically a three-week bye, who knows? I'd have to almost consider them the underdogs against a smoking hot Ravens defense and running game.

I dislike the Vikings enough to wholeheartedly root for the Cowboys. The resulting depression from this is that I drink myself into a coma. Best case scenario: every player on both teams test positive for PCP and are suspended, thus eliminating them from the playoffs and pushing the winner of the Cards/Saints straight to the Super Bowl.

As for the Card/Saints, the Cards are on a roll now but the Saints have heard the talk. How they've gone from NFC favorites just a month ago to almost dismissed. I think they play angry and win, but no matter what it's surely going to be another high scoring game.

Be this trolling or be this an awesome your-team-just-got-eliminated burn?

I say both.

Oh it's definitely a mixture. I'm man enough to admit that I'm not man enough to let little digs slide :wacko:

I'm not saying that rodgers was not wholey to blame on that play. He should have been more aware of blindside pressure, especially with clifton out. There are several factors that mitigate that though. One, Rodgers had improved how quickly he was getting rid of the ball a great deal over the course of the season. he found himself in a situation where they were drastically behind with a defense that wasn't getting the job done. About the hope they had of coming back was to put up one hell of an air show. That put the weight on the QB's shoulders. Which means the QB is going to have to force things, hold on to the ball longer in hopes of making things happen and generally push the enevelope as far as he can in hopes of being able to drag his team back into it. After the first quarter or so Rodgers had responded brilliantly. it was his doing more than any other player that they had a chance to win at the end of the game. Three, if they couldn't make a first down on that play he couldn't count on the defense being able to stop Arizona. So I'm not sure it was a bad decision to hold the ball if nothing was open from his point of view. His thought was that either they score or they punt and watch arizona score. Four, he really didn't have the ball that long on that play. Maybe a tempo over when he ideally should have released it or moved out of the pocket but not all that long either. Yeah, it was not his finest moment and as the one who lost the ball he has to take some blame. But there is more than enough to go around that in light of his largely brilliant outing after a jittery start he deserves some slack.

The defense laid a huge egg, and overall that hurt more than the fumble that ended the game, as just one extra stop would never have led to overtime. Rodgers played out of his mind to bring the Packers back from the brink of horrible blowout loss, and it shows how good he is that the only part of his game he needs to address this offseason is pocket presence and awareness.

In an added note, I was very surprised by the amount of booing and people leaving early in the Patriots game yesterday. They have been one of the best teams in the NFL and have one kinda off year and one bad playoff game and a good chunk of the crowd boos? They forget that the Patriots were a doormat for most of the 80s and a part of the 90s.

It was so empty, that the Ravens were able to take a victory lab giving high fives to the Raven's fans who outnumbers the Patriot's fans by the forth quarter.

They lost to the Giants with a catch that is now seen in a Pepsi commercial, then missed the playoffs to the door mat dolphins and their wildcat, then after an up and down season lay an egg in the playoffs at home. I think any fan base would boo. :thumbsdown:

I understand about being upset on how they played, but they lost the Super Bowl on a fluke play and lost Brady last year and still almost made the playoffs. Yesterday was just one of those games that just went away from them at the start and they never got it back. I do not think it is the end of the Patriots, they do need to get younger on defense and retool a bit on the offense, but they are far from being finished. I was just surprised by the booing and the leaving.

Archived