UK Politics III

mormont

So, is crying Labour's new election winning strategy?

Now, as nauseated as I am by the idea of talking to Piers Morgan (full stop) and reliving a personal tragedy for the voyeuristic delight of the Great Unwashed, Campbell's performance must surely win some sort of prize. Being brought to tears by the public's lack of total faith in Tony Blair? They must be sleeping together, surely?

The next election campaign will clearly involve the strategic ejection of brightly-coloured play-based entertainment objects from wheeled child-transportation devices, and I fully expect the manifesto to contain a pledge for Gordon to scream and scream until he is sick. *nods*

The political system in the UK (everywhere really) seems so messed up - nothing that everyone doesnt know :P

Labour are rubbish, conservatives seem worse, and I can't see the Lib Dems or the Greens attaining real power soon enough to make a difference to the trajectory our society is currently on (sliding towards oblivion). Sometimes I think a complete overhaul (possible violent unfortunately :S) is needed. Ground upwards change.

The political system in the UK (everywhere really) seems so messed up - nothing that everyone doesnt know :P

Labour are rubbish, conservatives seem worse, and I can't see the Lib Dems or the Greens attaining real power soon enough to make a difference to the trajectory our society is currently on (sliding towards oblivion). Sometimes I think a complete overhaul (possible violent unfortunately :S) is needed. Ground upwards change.

Can you explain how our society is sliding towards oblivion? While you're at it, can you elaborate on who would conduct this violent overhaul and what would be the result?

Quick question from a yank. Why is Tony still George's bitch?

I know that's flippant phrasing, but I am genuinely curious. Why is he still parroting the old line of "the world is a better place without Saddam Hussein" which is completely and utterly debatable, and that parrots have the weaker side of that argument. And the even more innane "We thought there were WMD at the time." Which, as I recall, was something the Brits said they didn't believe to be true AT THE TIME!

Quick question from a yank. Why is Tony still George's bitch?

I know that's flippant phrasing, but I am genuinely curious. Why is he still parroting the old line of "the world is a better place without Saddam Hussein" which is completely and utterly debatable, and that parrots have the weaker side of that argument. And the even more innane "We thought there were WMD at the time." Which, as I recall, was something the Brits said they didn't believe to be true AT THE TIME!

Total inability to admit being human wrong?

Blair pushed British involvement in the war through in the teeth of a great deal of opposition, using some very dodgy tactics, notably by making out that the case that Hussein had WMD was much stronger than it was. (He notoriously told Parliament that not only did Hussein have WMDs, he could launch them at 45 minutes notice).

He has to go on claiming that going to war was the correct decision, as it provides the only possible fig leaf of justification for his actions. There may also be an element of being so buoyed by belief in himself that he is pathologically unable to admit being wrong.

That said, I am still unsure why he decided to go for war in the first place. Either he wanted to emulate Thatcher with her Falklands War, or the CIA had something very juicy on him indeed.

Archived