Exercise and Fitness (the 48kg remix)

Vestrit

I told my girlfriend about this under-48kg female record challenge.

She replied: ‘Hmm. I think you’re going to injure yourself.’

:lol:

oh I see, that would explain the oddly-shaped ball

Hence the British nickname for rugby players of all persuasions as ‘egg-chasers’.

I told my girlfriend about this under-48kg female record challenge.

She replied: ‘Hmm. I think you’re going to injure yourself.’

:lol:

You and Vethnar have one considerable advantage compared to the girls anyway, you happen to be men :D

Alas, that's about as far as it goes. Elite international level weightlifters devote roughly 1200-1600 hours per year to heavy lifting. Not to mention the other obvious disadvantages we regular mortals have compared to the elite athletes such as genetic potential, innate skill, expert coaching, (drugs) etc.

It's funny btw, how we regard the top atheltes of today as representatives of the genetic elite. If you think about it, why are there so few people with this distinct genetic makeup that makes them considerably stronger and faster than the average individual. You'd imagine being strong and fast to be a trait favoured by evolution. But, of course, it's exactly the opposite. As I've babbled here before when discussing dieting, the human body is built for survival, i.e. it's excels at storing fat for energy and is stingy in synthesizing new muscle (a process that is very energy consuming from the body's perspective). So the genetic elite of today would've been at a severe disadvantage a few hundred thousad years ago when getting your next meal required a little bit more than driving your car to the nearest McMurder. It comes as no surprise that genes like that pretty much got weeded out of the pool. I have no idea why I'm even writing this, because evidently I have no point to make or I just lost it along the way. Maybe I'm just bored.. -_-

As I've babbled here before when discussing dieting, the human body is built for survival, i.e. it's excels at storing fat for energy and is stingy in synthesizing new muscle (a process that is very energy consuming from the body's perspective).

Finn, I am an expert at storing energy for later use. From an evolutionary perspective, I'm exceptionally far along. Almost an ubermench, if you will.

It's funny btw, how we regard the top atheltes of today as representatives of the genetic elite. If you think about it, why are there so few people with this distinct genetic makeup that makes them considerably stronger and faster than the average individual. You'd imagine being strong and fast to be a trait favoured by evolution. But, of course, it's exactly the opposite. As I've babbled here before when discussing dieting, the human body is built for survival, i.e. it's excels at storing fat for energy and is stingy in synthesizing new muscle (a process that is very energy consuming from the body's perspective). So the genetic elite of today would've been at a severe disadvantage a few hundred thousad years ago when getting your next meal required a little bit more than driving your car to the nearest McMurder. It comes as no surprise that genes like that pretty much got weeded out of the pool. I have no idea why I'm even writing this, because evidently I have no point to make or I just lost it along the way. Maybe I'm just bored.. -_-

Because humans are built to run long distances, not lift big things.

I agree with the second part, but certainly not the first. Running is just our escape ability. We are pack hunters and gatherers -- both of which we decided to use tools for.

I am unsure how you can come to this conclusion. The body has an awesome ability to adapt to need, whether it is to lift heavy things, run long distances, or survive a long time between meals.

You and Vethnar have one considerable advantage compared to the girls anyway, you happen to be men :D

Alas, that's about as far as it goes. Elite international level weightlifters devote roughly 1200-1600 hours per year to heavy lifting. Not to mention the other obvious disadvantages we regular mortals have compared to the elite athletes such as genetic potential, innate skill, expert coaching, (drugs) etc.

I mostly agree, except that we do have expert coaching, at least on-line. ;)

I'm also not sure that use of drugs should be seen as an advantage for elite weightlifters. I prefer -- perhaps naively -- to believe that most of the top lifters are clean. But even if I am wrong, in principle, Vestrit and I could use the same drugs, with considerably less risk of getting caught. I'm fairly sure we both won't do it, though. :)

Another obvious disadvantage is that we are much taller and have longer arms than the female 48kg weightlifters, and therefore have to lift the bar much higher.

Interesting observation.

What's with calling 48 kg women little girls?

I'm weighing whether I need to be insulted. Hee hee. (I'm not really insulted, just messing around)

It's not an insult, but a compliment. We admire you, and want to become a little bit more like 48 kg women ourselves. In particular, we want to be as strong, fast, courageous and flexible as you are.

;)

In response to Tempra and Stego, because I do not know how to multi-quote. There is a theory that humans started hunting with 'persistence hunting' on the African plains. What this means is that they would run down their prey until the animal they were hunting overheated or couldn't breathe and collapsed. There are some people in Australia that still do this (typically aboriginals). Essentially what happens is a pack of people chases an individual animal, the animal will sprint to get away and the humans run at a steady pace to catch up to the animal, when it sprints again, the process repeats until the animal passes out. This process could go on for miles and miles. There is physiological evidence to support this, both in our upright bearing and our ability to sweat to cool our bodies down.

In response to Tempra and Stego, because I do not know how to multi-quote. There is a theory that humans started hunting with 'persistence hunting' on the African plains. What this means is that they would run down their prey until the animal they were hunting overheated or couldn't breathe and collapsed. There are some people in Australia that still do this (typically aboriginals). Essentially what happens is a pack of people chases an individual animal, the animal will sprint to get away and the humans run at a steady pace to catch up to the animal, when it sprints again, the process repeats until the animal passes out. This process could go on for miles and miles. There is physiological evidence to support this, both in our upright bearing and our ability to sweat to cool our bodies down.

Hmmm.

There was a split in the evolution, then. Me, I evolved from 'drive-thru' hunting. What this means is that my people would drive up to a window, and sugar, starchy carbs, and fat would be handed to us for paper. This process could sometimes take a few minutes. There is physical evidence to support this, much of it under my shirt.

I am unsure how you can come to this conclusion. The body has an awesome ability to adapt to need, whether it is to lift heavy things, run long distances, or survive a long time between meals.

I don't think the majority of humans are well adapted to running long distances. Some cattle-thieve tribes in the Kenya area, or a few of the Indian tribes in northern Mexico are. Maybe moreso in the past for the rest of the world, but not now. It's hard on the feet, joints and heart. Look at the story of Marathon as an example.

I used to run quite a bit. I had injuries and pain on a constant basis, plus my asthma was in full flare. I switched to weightlifing and I'm pain free and almost asthma free. I concentrate on squatting and deadlifting, to "dangerous" exercises as well, plus I have a "runners" build.

Is there persistence hunting in Europe? Or, more precisely, was there in the past? I think the evolutionary pressures changed drastically once we got off the hot African plains and into the mountains.

Me, I evolved from 'drive-thru' hunting. What this means is that my people would drive up to a window, and sugar, starchy carbs, and fat would be handed to us for paper. This process could sometimes take a few minutes. There is physical evidence to support this, much of it under my shirt.

Aye, the Ordering of the Drive Thru is a time-old tradition passed down the generations from father to son for thousands of seasons. There are many tribes who hunt in this way, such as those who hear the siren call of the Bell of Tacos, those who worship the Still-faced King of Burgers, the highland sons of Donald, or chase after She of the Red Hair and Freckles (and Frostys).

Many dusty manuscripts, crumpled yellow sagas detail the success of these hunts through the ages can be found buried under mounds of detritus in dusty wheel carriages...

Back to topic, I skipped my run and yoga class this week. Gotta go for a long one on Saturday to make up for it. Hope its not too cold.

It's not an insult, but a compliment. We admire you, and want to become a little bit more like 48 kg women ourselves. In particular, we want to be as strong, fast, courageous and flexible as you are.

;)

Aren't you just the sweetest!

Just so you know, I can barely clean and jerk my 12 kg kettlebell! Left arm is particularly shaky.

(Courageous? What does that have to do with anything?)

Is there persistence hunting in Europe? Or, more precisely, was there in the past? I think the evolutionary pressures changed drastically once we got off the hot African plains and into the mountains.

I believe its estimated that man only arrived in Europe roughly 40,000 years ago. I don't think we would have changed that much from evolutionary pressures since then.

Aren't you just the sweetest!

Just so you know, I can barely clean and jerk my 12 kg kettlebell! Left arm is particularly shaky.

I've never lifted a kettlebell (I don't even think I've seen one, except in pictures), but those things look mechanically difficult to lift compared to a barbell.

I can't recall ever having seen a 48 kg woman clean and jerk less than 100 kg with a barbell, so unless you give us video evidence, I'll have to assume that you can clean and jerk over 100 kg as well.

:P

(Courageous? What does that have to do with anything?)

The current world record in the snatch in the 48 kg class is 98 kg. Snatching the weight essentially means lifting it from the ground and using your back, hips and legs to throw it as high in the air as you can, and then, while it's in free fall, immediately throw your own body down under the falling bar and try to catch it overhead with straight arms. Diving down without a moment's hesitation under almost 100 kg of falling iron requires a lot of courage, I think.

I've never lifted a kettlebell (I don't even think I've seen one, except in pictures), but those things look mechanically difficult to lift compared to a barbell.

I can't recall ever having seen a 48 kg woman clean and jerk less than 100 kg with a barbell, so unless you give us video evidence, I'll have to assume that you can clean and jerk over 100 kg as well.

:P

The current world record in the snatch in the 48 kg class is 98 kg. Snatching the weight essentially means lifting it from the ground and using your back, hips and legs to throw it as high in the air as you can, and then, while it's in free fall, immediately throw your own body down under the falling bar and try to catch it overhead with straight arms. Diving down without a moment's hesitation under almost 100 kg of falling iron requires a lot of courage, I think.

I have never tried to clean and jerk a barbell, so I can't tell you if there is a difference or not! But the KB clean and jerk I do is one armed. It seems like the KB might require more stability and balance in the legs, core, and the shoulder, because the weight is balanced on a smaller point on your locked arm, whereas the weight of a barbell is distributed in such a fashion as to improve stability (like a tight rope walker's pole that he uses to assist balance).

I see what you mean about courage now...cool.

Archived