Footie 17

Mme Erzulie

Time for a new football thread.

Don't know how reliable Daily Mirror is, but this story doesn't paint England captain John Terry in the best light.

Always thought he looked like a dick, but wow. What a dick. Also, Liverpool played one of the few decent halves of football today against Bolton. They were all over us in the first half, in the second, Liverpool finally looked at least like a shadow of last season's team. Passes, dribbles, tackles, chance creation, confidence, it all suddenly seemed to come together. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Shocking news about Togo. Sounds like a case for the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Chile was the last country to face sanction but for very different reasons. Chile Case

This is one of FIFA's rules that has some good elements to it but it does result in some very corrupt people getting away with stuff.

Time for a new football thread.

Don't know how reliable Daily Mirror is, but this story doesn't paint England captain John Terry in the best light.

What I love in this kind of stories are all the "friends" so eager to tell everything to the press. Some kind of friends they are... :rolleyes:

Well, that's gonna put some fun in the Chelsea locker rooms. There was a similar story with Olympique Lyonnais a few years ago, with Sylvain Wiltord having an affair with Fred's wife, which ended up in a near civil war between friends of the former and of the latter.

The difference though was that there weren't best friends and the wife didn't get pregnant. Terry really outdid himself there :unsure:

If all of this is true, of course.

My team (OGC Nice) is having one of its worst season in years, 16th (on 20, only because until recently 4 other teams were doing even worse, but that's changing), no victory since the end of november, including an humiliating defeat against a 3rd division team in the French Cup.

Our dumb supporters then decided that spitting on the young star of the team (Loic Rémy) would be a brilliant idea, so now he's determined to leave the club. And tonight was again a defeat against our worst rival, AS Monaco.

Between that and the French team's frustrating and painful matchs, I'm currently trying to decide if I should just quit watching/following football altogether...

Chile was the last country to face sanction but for very different reasons. Chile Case

Oh ! Thank you ! I couldn't for my life remember what the case was about. Yeah, very different reason indeed.

Good article on the CAF fiasco here.

Some will argue Nations Cup regulations - Article 78 specifies such a punishment for teams withdrawing shortly before the competition - were simply being obeyed but just down the page, Article 80 will tolerate withdrawals 'in cases of force majeure accepted by Caf'.

When I asked Caf President Issa Hayatou earlier this month whether he regretted bringing the Nations Cup to Angola following the Togolese tragedy, his answer was enlightening.

For the Cameroonian proceeded to explain that there was no real problem having only three teams in Group B after Togo's withdrawal as it had happened before (when Nigeria withdrew from South Africa in 1996).

At that point, an aide came over to explain that the question had actually been about the deaths - whereupon Hayatou addressed the attack with little empathy.

Because whether you agree or disagree with the decision, its timing beggars belief.

Caf argues that the African game doesn't get the coverage it deserves - but how is Sunday's Nations Cup final between Egypt and Ghana going to be about football when announcing this decision 24 hours beforehand?

That's an interesting article. The lack of interest for the deaths is quite disturbing, they gave the exact same impression just after the attack when they started criticizing the Togolese for not having respected the security instructions instead of calling it a tragedy or whatever we would have done in a western country.

I think that what I'm about to say qualifies as cheap sociology/philosophy, but it really seems like death doesn't have the same impact on that continent than it has in ours (which makes sense, of course). The Caf president just never seems to sympathize.

That's an interesting article. The lack of interest for the deaths is quite disturbing, they gave the exact same impression just after the attack when they started criticizing the Togolese for not having respected the security instructions instead of calling it a tragedy or whatever we would have done in a western country.

I think that what I'm about to say qualifies as cheap sociology/philosophy, but it really seems like death doesn't have the same impact on that continent than it has in ours (which makes sense, of course). The Caf president just never seems to sympathize.

I mean, yeah, it wouldn't on your continent either if violence was as widespread and everyday as it is there. One of the most striking things about the immediate aftermath of the shooting was that folks were calling out the Togo team for taking a bus rather than flying. It kind of stinks of "she was asking for it", but to go meta and bring in something from the "Cheesy Movie Lines" thread, out there, "it's bling-bang". Violence there is I think much more accepted. The Balkans notwithstanding, nowhere in Europe or NA really has that.

Also, JT, wtf.

Having difficulty believing the above John Terry article, and definitely don't believe it's painting anywhere near a complete & accurate picture. It just seems too much like an episode of Footballer's Wives to me.

I'll wait and see what comes of this before condemning the dude.

It looks fairly certain there was an affair, nobody seems to be denying that. Since the Mirror is a tabloid (right?) and this is the first I've heard of a pregnancy (and I've read some somewhat more reputable pieces on the situation), I'm gonna assume that they made that part up in order for a juicier story.

Is the Guardian serious enough for you?

Haha, imagine being Wayne Bridge in the England locker room now.

Disgraceful, really, and not sure what example it sets that he's allowed to continue as captain for Chelsea. Wonder what Capello will do.

Hoping Arsenal will deliver a thrashing to ManU today, but dreading Rooney's form. ManU should feel the absence of super-chav Ferdinand, though.

Shocking news about Togo. Sounds like a case for the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

They've had a pretty busy time of late. Join the cue behind Chelsea and the FIA Togo.

Haha, imagine being Wayne Bridge in the England locker room now.

If he even makes the squad that is.

I predict a 2-0 win for Man U today (unfortunately). Arsenal look like they'll have to start with Bendtner which says it all really. :lol:

I'm hungover, so I'm not going to go into serious detail in this post, just to say - United are going to win today.

It'll serve as a lesson for Arsene, though. Don't sign the likes of Sol Campbell in this stage of his career.

Rooney to score a hat-trick. :lol:

Vermaelen starts, Capmpbell isn't even on the bench. Arshavin-Rosicky-Nasri is the front 3 for Arsenal.

Man Utd drop Berbatov and Owen, Nani and Park are playing. Ferdinand and Vidic are also missing.

With the quality of players playing, Arsenal should win comfortably. But I can see them messing up. I'll still go with an Arsenal 2-1 win.

Vermaelen starts, Capmpbell isn't even on the bench.

Good stuff. Arsenal are spared the embarrassment. I do find it a curious move, considering the Press leading up to the game.

Will be interesting to see how Vermaelen holds up.

Man United bossed Arsenal, as I expected. Hope Arsenal raise their game for the Chelsea match next weekend. Otherwise, we'll need to wait until United face Chelsea in April for some resolution.

I'm not sure about that, both Chelsea and United haven't looked particularly impressive this season. United have looked good in the last couple of game but I think both teams look capable of going on a run of defeats to lose the title race.

Archived