How I Met Your Mother 2

Jaxom 1974

Question: Are you watching the show to find out who the mother is? Or are you watching for the laughs?

Personally for me, if you're ticked that you're not finding out who the mother is you're missing the complete point of the show.

Why do you imply the two are mutually exclusive? The answer is both.

If the episodes were as good as they were I wouldn't mind the plot. But as I've said twice now, my main concern is with the declining laughter value. It used to be a show I'd actually laugh at, now not so much.

If the episodes were as good as they were I wouldn't mind the plot. But as I've said twice now, my main concern is with the declining laughter value. It used to be a show I'd actually laugh at, now not so much.

I would agree with this after today's episode, but only after this one... I've enjoyed the season up to this point, both laughs-wise and plot-wise.

Usually Marshall is an ace in the hole for me (I love Jason Segal), but this episode was disappointing. That said, I think that if it had come earlier in the season, it would have been funnier, but since the quality of episodes (the last 5 or so) has shot up to earlier season standards, this one was just...blah.

What I really like about this show in general, and the last episode in particular, is they way they twist and bend the whole reliable/unreliable narrator. Usually it goes that Ted is reliable, and Barney extremely unreliable (see his 'threesome'). When they add layers upon layers of storytelling, each with questionable reliability, the show usually excels in both laughs and storytelling. It's not easy, in less capable hands we would get a mess, but usually the show delivers.

What I really like about this show in general, and the last episode in particular, is they way they twist and bend the whole reliable/unreliable narrator.

While I would normally agree with this, I can't when you bring in the last episode and claim it is likeable. It proved to be only an irritant the more it went on. And Jason Segal looked uninterested in executing the story.

Usually Marshall is an ace in the hole for me (I love Jason Segal), but this episode was disappointing. That said, I think that if it had come earlier in the season, it would have been funnier, but since the quality of episodes (the last 5 or so) has shot up to earlier season standards, this one was just...blah.

Well, they can't all be winners, right? And this was just the lull before the awesome returns. :P

This, to me, was the best episode of the season bar none. I'd go so far to put it in my top 5 episodes of HIMYM. Everything worked. The group was all together, everyone had something to do and say, the dialogue was hysterical, and Ted was endearing, not annoying, in his quest to live happily ever after.

And the scene with he and Marshall at the end, sitting on the steps of the patio, just felt like such an homage to the Season 1 shot of Marshall and Lily's break-up revelation. I loved every second, even if I got a little squeamish at the NPH/Mama Petrelli make out.

Special props to "Drunk or Kid," and "Please don't." Those 2 gags were funny every single time.

This, to me, was the best episode of the season bar none. I'd go so far to put it in my top 5 episodes of HIMYM. Everything worked. The group was all together, everyone had something to do and say, the dialogue was hysterical, and Ted was endearing, not annoying, in his quest to live happily ever after.

And the scene with he and Marshall at the end, sitting on the steps of the patio, just felt like such an homage to the Season 1 shot of Marshall and Lily's break-up revelation. I loved every second, even if I got a little squeamish at the NPH/Mama Petrelli make out.

Special props to "Drunk or Kid," and "Please don't." Those 2 gags were funny every single time.

I'd forgetten that Christine Rose played Ted's mom...does this mean he'll have a superpower to find his wife...? :P

Otherwise, I couldn't agree more. This was top 2 for me in terms of the best of the season.

We could totally have a "Drunk or Kid" thread here...

Yes, yes we could. :)

And OMG. I just looked up who played Clint, and it's the Mayor from Buffy!!!!! I was like, "Why does this man look so familiar, and why oh why do I think he needs to be asking for hand sanitizer right now?"

I really enjoyed "Drunk or Kid" but fully expected the first one to just be Marshall not thinking and revealing it was last week and he was sober.

Overall, good episode. The mugging one was just terrible, this was a bit better. I also recognized Clint, but didn't know why. I want to hear his whole song, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I caught most of last night's episode and the recent chimp-mugging episode. Both reaffirmed my decision to skip most of this season. It's hard to reconcile the gushing plaudits in this thread with the tired, flaccid episodes I've seen. Perhaps I've just been very unlucky to miss the good stuff.

Perhaps I've just been very unlucky to miss the good stuff.

You have. Those are two of the worst episodes of the series, and there have been some great episodes this season too. Overall it's been a very uneven season; very high highs, and ridiculously bad lows.

The most recent episode was middling to average...a nice little convention with the letter writing, that's very Ted, but the execution was a little flat. Still a solid season though.

This week's episode was awful. Just terrible. The writers, through sheer brilliance, came up with the novel concept of having...wait for it....Barney pursue Robin! How inventive! And then, because that wasn't creative enough, they outdid themselves and had Ted go after her too! Oh how fresh! A great new angle! *vomit*

Even the side plot with Marshall and Lily was terrible. They started sleeping in different beds? The same couple who couldn't spend a week apart before their wedding? The couple that Ted gave a really heartfelt toast about how they just couldn't bear sleeping even one night in separate beds?

There have been some decent episodes this season. This one was certainly not one of them.

This week was much better. Not perfect, but a nice examination of the group and why they're all friends. And any issues I may have had with it were redeemed at the very end by Peter Bogdonovich..."Willem. DaFoe."

Oh and Robots. Vs. wrestlers.

Archived