College Basketball

S John

The other thread was getting pretty long so I figured... who says Rhom and REG got a monopoly on this thing? :P

Anyway we've got Pitt coming up tonight. I won't get to catch this one but I wish the Panthers misfortune as always. There was an article in the Charleston Daily Mail (and a similar one on ESPN) about the taunting of the WVU student section. I guess a couple F-bombs got broadcast across the country during the Ohio State game. As I was watching the Louisville game on TV I was trying to figure out wtf they were chanting, turns out it was "Karen Sypher" who is the name of the women Pitino had a an affair with. :lol: The students got a good talkin' to about that one, but I really don't think its that out of line. WVU has a long tradition of presenting a hostile atmosphere. Have to say I'm not too worried about this.

Anyway, with Pitt coming up I thought this part was funny:

"Gray was quoted in an Associated Press story as suggesting fans depart from a traditional three-word phrase they customarily bombard the Panthers with."

Eat. Shit. Pitt. :lol: Too bad the game isn't on TV. Last time I watched Pitt play in Morgantown I could hear it loud and clear. I've seen old ladies yelling this at football games, small chance of the student section refraining.

The other thread was getting pretty long so I figured... who says Rhom and REG got a monopoly on this thing? :P

Hey... when you keep a thread going with a two man discussion throughout the off-season and in the face of the behemoth that is college football, its just kind of expected! :rofl:

Anyway we've got Pitt coming up tonight. I won't get to catch this one but I wish the Panthers misfortune as always. There was an article in the Charleston Daily Mail (and a similar one on ESPN) about the taunting of the WVU student section. I guess a couple F-bombs got broadcast across the country during the Ohio State game. As I was watching the Louisville game on TV I was trying to figure out wtf they were chanting, turns out it was "Karen Sypher" who is the name of the women Pitino had a an affair with. :lol: The students got a good talkin' to about that one, but I really don't think its that out of line. WVU has a long tradition of presenting a hostile atmosphere. Have to say I'm not too worried about this.

Anyway, with Pitt coming up I thought this part was funny:

"Gray was quoted in an Associated Press story as suggesting fans depart from a traditional three-word phrase they customarily bombard the Panthers with."

Eat. Shit. Pitt. :lol: Too bad the game isn't on TV. Last time I watched Pitt play in Morgantown I could hear it loud and clear. I've seen old ladies yelling this at football games, small chance of the student section refraining.

I caught the Karen Sypher chant during the game, I had to chuckle. I don't care if you beat Pitt or not... but if you could beat Villanova later this weekend, I'd be much obliged. :lol:

Colorado's giving us a heck of a game. This probably the best they've played all year.

It doesn't help that our free-throw shooting is fucking awful tonight. With 7:00 to go in the game, we're shooting better from the field than we are from the stripe... Even our good FT shooters are missing tonight.

Fuck... down 1, Collins is on the line 38.2s to go.

I wondered how long the mods were going to let the last thread go. I knew they didn't care about what goes on in these threads, but they usually at least lock them up when they hit 400+ posts. It seems like they don't even give a shit anymore.

It looks like the Pitt/WVU game got a little nasty tonight. Including a ref getting taken down pretty hard (seen on the video on that link).

I was really curious about the Xavier Henry situation. Is there more to it than just a freshman "wall"? I especially was curious when I saw the offense/defense substitutions going on and that skinny white kid came in for offense (not Morningstar... a different one) while Henry sat the bench. I'm especially curious about any talk from the Henrys' dad. The guy was mouthing off at the beginning of the year about how CJ was better than any other guard on the team, but I've never seen him get floor time in any of the KU games I've caught. I can only imagine how incensed Mr. Henry must be to see Xavier sit the bench as the team goes into OT.

CJ Henry took a hard fall in practice a few weeks ago and hurt his tailbone, and I don't thinks he's even practiced since then (Jan 22nd, I think). He usually doesn't except at the end of blowouts, but every now and then he'll get in early. he can shoot it really well, but his decision making isn't always the best.

You need to tell that wife it's time for a new bigger tv if you think Reed is skinny. The kids absolutely ripped and is a beast in the weight room.

Nobody is ever going to call Tyrel Reed an 184-pound weakling.

“I think it’s incredible a men’s basketball player who weighs 184 pounds is able to hang-clean 308 pounds. I think that’s a pretty impressive feat,” said KU hoops strength coach Andrea Hudy.

“It happens in football all the time (but not basketball),” she added of somebody that size pumping so many pounds in the solid barbell exercise.

Reed at times stole the show during the Jayhawks’ two, four-week sessions of voluntary strength and conditioning workouts.

His hang clean was the best on the team, ahead of the Morris twins, Cole Aldrich, Brady Morningstar, Travis Releford and Conner Teahan, who came close to 300 pounds.

Reed also completed a whopping 40 pullups on the bar, ahead of junior guard Teahan, a former high school football standout who had over 30.

Wow. I never thought CU would force us into OT. Between our super shitty FT shooting, and them making quite a few 3's they really played us tough. Once OT started though we took control and they never threatened us. After the high of playing our two hated rivals last week, I guess this was just one of those "trap games".

If we can beat The Corn at home on Saturday, and Texas on the road Monday, we will have a three game lead on the entire conference. That's fucking crazy!

It looks like the Pitt/WVU game got a little nasty tonight. Including a ref getting taken down pretty hard (seen on the video on that link).

Yea, not to gloss over it because I think its a problem that needs to be addressed, but that sort of thing happens everywhere. It only takes one guy to throw something and then that reflects on the entire fan base and the 14,000 people in there yesterday that didn't throw something. At some point WVU got a reputation for having crazy fans, and its true they are very passionate and always have been, but that reputation leads to every single incident getting reported as though its a trend when really its nothing but a few isolated incidents. Meaning they aren't related, and nobody promotes it.

Fan incidents do happen frequently around the country but are not reported on unless they are severe because they do not have the reputation that WVU has. I think that leads to a kind of snowball effect where everyone who is a fan of an opponent we've played knows someone who knows someone who was attacked by rabid hillbillies in Morgantown. :lol: But I'm here to tell you, I've been to away games in several different places and the behavior in those places did not differ in any significant way from what I've seen in Morgantown.

That said, I do not condone throwing of objects in any way, but I have no problem with harboring an environment (or at least the reputation of an environment) that is basically terrifying for opponents. I just hope that our fans realize that in a few days WVU has to play @ Pitt and their fans will definitely be showing up to return the favor.

I caught some of the Duke game last night and then caught the recap on ESPN radio this morning... 8/10 three pointeres for Singler?!!? :stunned:

I'm stuck in continuing ed seminars all weekend, so I'll be missing a lot of basketball. Hopefully, my brother will bring his laptop; last year espn360 was a godsend! :rofl:

I'm waiting to see what happens in the polls today. At four losses North Carolina was ranked number 13 in the country. (Of course they moved up from 10 to 9 when they lost their third game.) I want to see where Texas lands today.

I don't see how Ernie Kent still has a job as it is, so I figure he's safe for next year too. ;)

I think Texas will fall to around 15.

Kenpom is predicting only 2 more wins for UNC this year (NCSt and Miami), and I'm having a tough time thinking that they'll be able to make the tourney... with their SEVEN fucking McDonald's All Americans.

They do have a tough row to hoe from here...

Duke

NC State

at Ga Tech

at Boston College

FSU

at Wake Forest

Miami

at Duke

Looking at that schedule, I agree that squeaking out more than 2 more wins might be a tall order. They're sitting at 13-10 right now. 15-16 would be dismal. And the chances of winning a game in the ACC tourney would be slim as well.

The Race to 2000 wins that I was so worried about really isn't materializing into much... Kentucky needed to get 12 wins before UNC got 16. They may not even hit that this season! IIRC, Kansas needed 38 to hit 2000 this year (Presumably, that would mean they could lose one more game and win the national title to get that many I think). So there's a real chance KU could pass UNC for second all time on the wins list if this keeps up.

I wonder if Harrison Barnes is regretting his decision to sign with UNC. From what I've read, it seems most people are blaming the flame out on a lack of leadership in the locker room. Its truly stunning though, the UNC team that I see now is certainly not the same UNC that beat OSU and MSU and made a game comeback effort against Kentucky early in the year. Its like the losses keep weighing heavier and heavier on them and they are collapsing under the pressure.

The Race to 2000 wins that I was so worried about really isn't materializing into much... Kentucky needed to get 12 wins before UNC got 16. They may not even hit that this season! IIRC, Kansas needed 38 to hit 2000 this year (Presumably, that would mean they could lose one more game and win the national title to get that many I think). So there's a real chance KU could pass UNC for second all time on the wins list if this keeps up.

We have a very good chance of passing UNC this season in all time wins (unless they roll through the CBI).

I think your count on our wins is off. Right now we're at 1992, and we have 8 regular season games remaining. Soooooo, if we win out our 2000th win would be at Missouri, and that would be kind of awesome (although not as nice as at home).

I wonder if Harrison Barnes is regretting his decision to sign with UNC. From what I've read, it seems most people are blaming the flame out on a lack of leadership in the locker room. Its truly stunning though, the UNC team that I see now is certainly not the same UNC that beat OSU and MSU and made a game comeback effort against Kentucky early in the year. Its like the losses keep weighing heavier and heavier on them and they are collapsing under the pressure.

I think the biggest problem is that their not really as talented as their rankings and McDAA status would indicate. And they PG play is pretty poor. Next year, in addition to Barnes they have a top 5 PG coming in too. Barnes is probably loving the opportunity to "come in and right the ship" at a top 5 program.

I love that this terrible season is their 100th year of basketball :lol:

We have a chance of passing UNC this season in all time wins (unless they roll through the CBI).

I think your count on our wins is off. Right now we're at 1992, and we have 8 regular season games remaining. Soooooo, if we win out our 2000th win would be at Missouri, and that would be kind of awesome (although not as nice as at home).

Hrmph. I could have sworn I saw something at the beginning of the season about the 2000 win plateau and how far out UNC/KU were and I thought for sure I remember thinking that it would be a stretch for KU to get it this year. Obviously I was off.

I'd love to see Kansas pass UNC for second. Couldn't happen to a nicer chap. :lol:

I think the biggest problem is that their not really as talented as their rankings and McDAA status would indicate. And they PG play is pretty poor. Next year, in addition to Barnes they have a top 5 PG coming in too. Barnes is probably loving the opportunity to "come in and right the ship" at a top 5 program.

I love that this terrible season is their 100th year of basketball :lol:

PG play is certainly a big factor for them. Roy's decision not to recruit John Wall until the 11th hour certainly seems foolish at this point, wouldn't you say? The favorite for player of the year plays a position you desperately need and went to high school just a stone's throw away from your school? Big miss.

ETA: Obviously, you know your team better than I do. KU was at 1970 to start the season. For some reason, I thought they were at 1962. Obviously, they'll hit that. The only question now is whether they beat UNC to it or not.

New polls are out.

Texas tumbles to 14 in both polls. Not bad. SJohn's boys have moved up into a legit top 5 slot, and I think they could make a legit run for a number 1 seed. Other than Kansas and Kentucky, I think the other two slots will end up going to Big East teams in some combination of Villanova/WVU/Syracuse. I just don't see Duke/Purdue/Michigan State getting through the rest of the season unscathed enough to wind up in the top 4 slots.

I find it almost laughable that the ESPN/USA Today poll has Duke ranked one slot ahead of Georgetown. Honestly, if you're the minor D1 coach or major D1 athletic information director filling out that poll... how do you look at Duke and Georgetown ranked near each other and decide to put Duke on top?!!?

Additionally... Cornell continues to rise. I would assume they will make steady progress up the polls as the year progresses with no one of consequence remaining on their schedule and teams around them continue to lose.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Texas brings tonight against KU. Will they rise up and play like the team they were to start the year, or does the slide continue? I've got the feeling they could be dangerous.

Damn, how bout Georgetown putting 103 on Villanova. :stunned:

It's tougher following this team from afar, but man has it been satisfying. Seems like every week they're playing a top 10 team and recently they've humbled a couple top 10 teams(Duke and Villanova). Seems like a different guy is stepping up each night and their starting 5 is awesome (to cover for a tissue paper thin bench). They got my man Barack showing up to games, Pelosi too...blowouts in the blizzard, Verizon Center is rocking. Definitely feels like a team that will make some noise come Tourney time.

Beyond that, how ridiculous is the Big East right now? Think the Hoyas get to face another top ten team in West Virginia this week. Villanova, Syracuse, West Virginia, UConn, Pitt...even USF is on a roll. My take is hard conferences breed hard teams and hard teams go a-plundering come March.

It's tougher following this team from afar, but man has it been satisfying. Seems like every week they're playing a top 10 team and recently they've humbled a couple top 10 teams(Duke and Villanova). Seems like a different guy is stepping up each night and their starting 5 is awesome (to cover for a tissue paper thin bench). They got my man Barack showing up to games, Pelosi too...blowouts in the blizzard, Verizon Center is rocking. Definitely feels like a team that will make some noise come Tourney time.

Georgetown is a weird team to watch. My gf is a fan so I've taken to following them as well as Maryland. And they are such a flawed team, it is hard to trust them. They seriously have 7 guys who can play at all (seriously, seven guys played all game against Nova, and that's with one starter fouling out). They have one pg, and when he fouled out against Nova, they just had their bigger guys handle the ball. And it went fine, the full court press of Nova caused a few turns, but a lot more stupid fouls on Nova.

The reason the score in that game got so ridiculous was that Nova was trying to get Georgetown in foul trouble. So they fouled and fouled in the hope that if both teams would get chippy and have to put the subs in. Nova would win easily in such a scenario. It kinda backfired, because Gtown didn't start fouling (too much) in response, and they ended up going 39/50 in free throws. That's a lot of free points.

Can a team like this, with great starters and no bench, make a run in March? I doubt it. But their starters look as good as Kansas or Kentucky (to me).

Can a team like this, with great starters and no bench, make a run in March? I doubt it. But their starters look as good as Kansas or Kentucky (to me).

Bah, depth is overrated. Our Redskins do just fine year after year without even a hint of depth. :P

Also, funny side note. DC has been snowed in, so I've been at home watching a lot of sports, and this was a great weekend for DC area sports:

Capitals win on friday, winning streak to 13 straight games

Wizards beat Orlando in buzzer beater on friday

Maryland defeats rival North Carolina

Georgetown defeats (rival?) Villanova

Capitals defeat rival Penguins, winning streak to 14 straight games

Saints defeat Colts. Redskins have story about almost beating the Super Bowl champs.

Bah, depth is overrated. Our Redskins do just fine year after year without even a hint of depth. :P

Too soon man.

Georgetown is a weird team to watch. My gf is a fan so I've taken to following them as well as Maryland. And they are such a flawed team, it is hard to trust them. They seriously have 7 guys who can play at all (seriously, seven guys played all game against Nova, and that's with one starter fouling out). They have one pg, and when he fouled out against Nova, they just had their bigger guys handle the ball. And it went fine, the full court press of Nova caused a few turns, but a lot more stupid fouls on Nova.

The reason the score in that game got so ridiculous was that Nova was trying to get Georgetown in foul trouble. So they fouled and fouled in the hope that if both teams would get chippy and have to put the subs in. Nova would win easily in such a scenario. It kinda backfired, because Gtown didn't start fouling (too much) in response, and they ended up going 39/50 in free throws. That's a lot of free points.

I'm a huge Greg Monroe fan. I've liked him ever since Billy Gillispie tried to recruit him to Kentucky. The kid was a bit slow to develop last year, but I really like what I see from him this season.

As to your depth question, I tend to think that depth helps when you're trying to win six in a row... but then again, you have the teams like Syracuse '03 and Carmelo Anthony (my apologies REG) who ride a hot man all the way to the title.

The Big East has been ridiculously stacked ever since the ACC raided them for football teams. The fact that teams are sitting here halfway through the conference schedule with only one loss astounds me.

Archived