World of Warcraft

Fenryng

After 14 months of playing, it's only just now occurred to me how creepy it is that the principal goal of this game is to steal the clothing off the backs of the men you've murdered, or sometimes to make it out of their fucking skin.

Why is this so creepy? The motherfuckers had it coming!

Two weeks ago we just barely got Putricide down (for the first time) in one of those almost-wipe one-guy-left-standing kinds of things. Last week we didn't even pull anything past Fester/face because of extreme attendance issues. So last night we're sitting around at 15 minutes after raid time with 9 people, searching around for a pug that doesn't look too fail and thinking about how we're not going to kill anything, then suddenly a tardy laser chicken appears like a white beam of death from the sky, and we go on to one-shot Putricide with two deaths - both of which were from people forgetting that the crap on the ground still kills you after the boss is dead.

Something definitely feels much harder about Blood Princes, though. There's the (bug?) with Empowered Shock Vortex having infinite range rather than 30 yards, of course, but what was killing us was Empowered Flame Sphere. On our first kill we sort of half-heartedly had people kind of try and soak fire if they remember to, and it worked okay, presumably because melee is around the guy and they absorbed enough to keep it out of one-shot range. But now no matter how hard we emphasize bleeding the damage off the flame sphere, it's one-shotting its target and occasionally other people as well (?).

Oh, and the new weekly ICC quests kind of feel like a bit of a 'fuck you.' Sure, if you're clearing the instance weekly, it's a great way to help gear up. But the difficulty and location of the quests is absurdly variable in the context of guilds currently progressing, particularly 10 man guilds that can't fall back on an easier version of the instance or even just get two tries a week. So some guild out there somewhere that was in the same situation as us just got every member 5 more emblems this week because they got the freebie Ramparts/Gunship weekly, while our weekly was 'kill BQL within 30 minutes of entering Blood Wing.' Yeah.

Also, you can currently skin most/all Worgen mobs.

Yeah the variable difficulty of those quests is crazy. We got the "kill rotface and festergut, without wiping after you killed the first one" one for our 10 man, and "Channel some shit into sindragosa, no idea how this is going to work" one for our 25 man one.

I doubt we'll even try the 25 man one because we want to get in 20 good attempts, not waste progress time messing around. It's a shame to lose 5 emblems and the chance for an epix, but it's also a shame that blizard gave us this shitty quest.

Why is this so creepy? The motherfuckers had it coming!

Think about it. What sort of psychosis is required to kill someone, then decide to take the pants off his still-warm body and try them on and see how they fit? And do this habitually, and mutter to themselves and reject the ones not to their liking? If someone did that here, they'd end up in a mental ward instead of jail, likely as not.

Haha. How is the "clueless numpty" doing? Last I remember you were destroying swarms of low level creatures amidst intentions of herbalist grandeur.

I am still working on the grandeur, although I am less clueless on this one specific topic than I was. Still quite a way to go, though.

I am currently back in Western and Eastern Plaguelands, because my level allows for the quests to be slightly easier now, and I would rather do a lot of easy quests for less XP than take forever to do one for more.

Unfortunately, I discovered that I need to go wandering again, because I am still too low in herbology (or whatever the hell it's called) for these areas.

I explored all of Winterspring, and discovered that Stranglethorn Vale is great for picking herbs.

Oh, yeah, and I found a new cliff to fall off of and die from the fall on. Nice view on the way down, though. And it put me in Azshara, which is one of the prettiest zones, I think.

I'm really enjoying WoW right now. Icecrown has been a lot of fun, and I just joined a new guild that's renewed my interest in the game. My last guild was a casual guild that I was sort of stuck with due to a pretty long break because of RL. It consisted of a core that was more interested in their 10 man progression, loot council that was mostly a popularity contest, and lots of "raiders" who can't really be bothered to log in at raid times. I think the majority of my time in that guild they couldn't field 25 raiders, so we ended up either running something short a few people, grabbing PuGs, dragging along undergeared non-raiders, or calling it. I finally got fed up and bailed a couple of weeks ago.

My new guild is progressing nicely. We got to Sindragosa last night with only 4 attempts or so left. We blew through those attempts last night knowing that we wouldn't kill her, and there would be no raiding on Sunday because of the SuperBowl. At least we got a few attempts in to see some of the fight mechanics in action, and hopefully next week will be a bit better.

We finally killed Blood Queen after being stuck on her for a few weeks. We killed her at the enrage timer with only 4 people left standing. :laugh: I have a love/hate relationship with that fight. It's fun with some interesting mechanics, but it's frustrating in that one person not paying attention can easily wipe the raid and use up attempts.

I also hate the limited attempts. We lost a few due to stupid mechanics beyond our control, ie. someone d/cing and logging back in after a wipe and a boss reset. I'm pretty much against any artificial cockblock in games, because it does nothing but frustrate and annoy players. I wish they would just get rid of it. If we want to spend all week wiping against a boss, let us.

Think about it. What sort of psychosis is required to kill someone, then decide to take the pants off his still-warm body and try them on and see how they fit? And do this habitually, and mutter to themselves and reject the ones not to their liking? If someone did that here, they'd end up in a mental ward instead of jail, likely as not.

Except that you are looking at it from being the aggressor's point of view.

If you are just walking along trying to harvest plants and minding your own business, not trespassing on anyone's property or anything like that, and then someone comes along and tries to turn you into steak tartar, then that is self-defense.

"I didn't want to kill him! He shot first!"

Seems to me looting a body is what someone deserves if they are going to make unprovoked attempts on my life.

An eye for an eye, and a rock through the head, as well. :-)

The animals I will run away from. I hate killing them. Unless they are diseased; then I am putting them out of their misery. I avoid quests that are the equivalent of, "Slaughter X number of these beasts, simply for the sake of XP". Bugger that. Worst ones in the game, as far as I am concerned.

Not looting the bodies of people you kill is actually a generally new development for man. Back when wars required men, on foot, on hills with axes and swords, looting the bodies of those you killed was the norm. Your opponents belongings are the spoils of war.

I haven't posted in one of these threads in a while (you hardcore raiders intimidate me) but I thought I'd drop in and give you all an update. You see I think I'm not a n00b anymore. I now have a second level 80 character (his name is Rogozhin and he's a badass warlock), I know how not to be useless in heroics, and I've even run a few raids. So I'm pretty sure my n00bdom is over, but I could be wrong.

I'm now leveling a mage, and since I really hate Azaroth, what with all the useless and time consuming traveling, I've decided to do all my leveling through dungeons. Working pretty well so far.

Fenryng, I always enjoy reading your WoW updates. :D:

Azshara looks lovely, but it is in fact evil. You'll travel awhile, enjoying the scenery, only to find that you've absolutely no idea how to get back up from the beach. Or you'll become so desperate to get to the beach that you'll resort to suiciding off a cliff. Farm the Azure Whelpling pet and run for your life!

I actually don't mind these; it's the ones where you have to gather X number penguin spleens / whatever that I hate. I'm apparently such an enthusiastic Fury warrior that I completely ruin the majority of harvestable organs within these poor creatures.

You'd think I'd learn my lesson and save myself a lot of time and effort.

Thank you.

Azshara is different for me because one of my friends said that he was never able to find a way up from the beach, and that he had to swim south forever until he could get onto land. I vowed to find a way up from the beach, and I did. So the cliffs are not so much of a problem.

Running the gauntlet of creatures that are on either side of the path at the top and bottom of the path, that is different.

The real problem area are those elite giants and blue dragon offspring in the lower right quadrant of the zone.

And yes, before swearing off the creature quests, the ones involving specific organs were even more annoying; I agree with you there.

Something new I discovered last night were trolls that have the really annoying ability to polymorph me into a frog.

THAT gets tiresome really fast.

I was amused in a twisted way when my hopping around took me into the aggro zone of other trolls. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Because it's a 40 man PUG.

They're not all terrible.

The one time I 40 pugged it though was pretty sweet. Everyone was smart but when we got to iron forge the king was already dead, so we aoe'd alliance for 15 minutes :-p.

However,if you play it smart and have vent 15-20 people should be enough. Especially now that people have alts sitting in opposite fatio nraid channels, I would never join an advertised For the Horde.

Blood Queen Lana'thel down tonight. We killed her one second after the enrage timer expired. She one-shotted our tank and then died herself. We lost a DPS and a healer during the second Bloodbolt Whirl but at least that time all the vampire biting went off fine so there were no MCs. That was kind of fun. Took a few stabs at Dreamwalker but I've got to get the hang of the portals to keep that buff rolling for me.

What would be really awesome is if we could down Professor Putricide and clear that wing off our checklist. However, I think DPS needs to step up a little more for that.

Downed Sindragosa last night, realm first, on to the Lich KIng tonight ^^

We also had to visit the Grand Circus for a half hour for a soft reset in between sindragosa attempts because the trash respawned and bugged and we ended up killing the first three encounters without wiping, then after downing Sindy came back and 1-shotted the twins too. Tomorrow we'll be taking a shot at achieving a rather late realm first tribute to insanity (my realm is really quite shit for progress guilds, ours is the only decent horde side one and we all hate TotC, and the couple on the alliance side... well from what I can see their members spend most of their time on our realm forum trolling).

Wish us luck!

Anyone have any advice on running the new holiday bosses? Ran it on my warlock, and one of the puggies swore the way to do it was to go paxter first then hummel then frye. We wiped. Ran it latter on my hunter and we got a little more complicated. Basically everyone put on cologne, tank held aggro on hummel and frye while I kited paxter to the back, we killed paxter then switched to perfume and went for hummel then frye. Worked, but was pretty hairy.

Anyone have any advice on running the new holiday bosses? Ran it on my warlock, and one of the puggies swore the way to do it was to go paxter first then hummel then frye. We wiped. Ran it latter on my hunter and we got a little more complicated. Basically everyone put on cologne, tank held aggro on hummel and frye while I kited paxter to the back, we killed paxter then switched to perfume and went for hummel then frye. Worked, but was pretty hairy.

There appear to be a number of ways to do it. None of the three of them need a tank really, since they all hit like a wet noodle.

I have seen groups with two tanks, one for Hummel, one for Baxter. 2 DPS who burn Hummel, then switch to Baxter while Hummel-tank tries to keep Frye occupied.

Standing on objects scattered around the courtyard helped some people avoid the perfume/cologne puddles on the floor. But it wasn't consistent, so not sure if that strategy is useful (mainly for casters and heals, obviously).

Holiday bosses are REALLY easy but take a minimum amount of brain work so PUGs can fail hard at them.

Put on either purple or green aura from the box the quest giver gives you.

If you are green, stay out of purple stuff.

If you are purple, stay out of green stuff.

If you stay out of the stuff not your colour, you will take so little damage, it's laughable.

Then just DPS them down in whatever order suits you. There's no required order. (Though I'd suggest DPSing down one of the coloured bosses first)

Just make sure there's always someone of each colour to hold the 2 coloured bosses attention.

Archived