Euro 2012 Qualifying

Black Wizard

Greece, Israel, Latvia in the same group again? Interesting, considering they just finished duking it out for the second spot in their World Cup qualifying group (first place of course went to Switzerland! :smoking: ).

As for the Swiss, I'm predicting a second place finish behind England, and if they keep playing the way they have lately they should qualify (unless they draw a really tough playoff opponent).

Apparently this is the third Euro consecutive qualifying that Scotland have drawn Lithuania, who are essentially Heart of Midlothian. I'm sure Mormont will be torn. :P

Nah. The Lithuanians we have are shite, for one thing. Have you looked at the recent squads for the Lithuanian national team? Zaliukas is the only one of our Lithuanians getting called up, with good reason. For that matter we have far fewer Lithuanians these days. They all went home. If they'd only take Vlad with them...

Anyway there is never any conflict between my club and my national team. Scotland come first. :) I reckon we could do pretty well against the Czechs: it'll be a tall order to finish second in this grou, but not impossible.

*sighs, trying to get over the lack of a WC for Ireland*

Well, what we're faced with isn't a hard group for the Euros. Yay? I fancy the fixtures against Russia, but I think this will be the first tournament since '96 (youngling, and all) that I'll not be following every one of our games. I'm apathetic, to say the least. Maybe the WC finals will turn me around. I doubt it, though. Didn't bother watching any of the ANC games, either.

Bah.

Edit: Oh yeah. How could I forget: fuck Giovanni Trappatoni. He killed all respect I had for him with our last dire qualification campaign. Pick some of our talented lads, that you continue to ignore, and change your fucking tactics.

• 6 months later...

Not sure why. The Ireland game is at 4pm or something ridiculously early, as well. I'm pleased to hear that Richard Dunne and Robbie Keane are fit to play. We're only playing Armenia, but...best be careful. We don't want any embarrassments.

The Ireland game is at 4pm or something ridiculously early, as well.

There is a four hour time difference between Ireland and Armenia, I think.

Not sure about the friday games, but equally unsure whether there's a huge difference between friday and saturday.

Germany's first game is away to Belgium, one of the toughest fixtures in the group. They've got a young, talented team that's probably superior to Turkey's.

Yeah, that's all well and good, but you also have Spain and the Czech's in your group. I'd imagine if the right momentum is gained, you could challenge the Czech Republic for second? Personally speaking, I'm fancying us to take the top spot.

What? I'm in a good mood.

It's not wholly unfeasible for Ireland to top that group, but if Russia return to the form that saw them reach the Euro 2008 semi-finals then I think Russia will finish top.

You're right about Scotland potentially challenging Czech Republic for second. Scotland beat them in a friendly in March and didn't play particularly well. Czech Republic are notthing like the same team they had a decade ago and Rosicky, their best player in my opinion, is a shadow of the player he was before he had all those injuries over the past two years. If Scotland have a smoother campaign without any open goals being missed, players throwing their rattles out of the pram, players getting drunk/making immature gesturese etc. etc. then I can see Scotland making the play-offs.

I just heard that Litchenstein has less than half the population of Paisley. :wacko:

Ireland's team:

GK- Shay Given (34, will be 36 in 2012) (Man City) (0/5 games this year)

DR- John O'Shea (29, will be 31 in 2012) (Man Utd) (4/4 games this year)

DL- Kevin Kilbane (33, will be 35 in 2012) (Hull) (4/5 games)

DC- Sean St. Ledger (25, will be 27) (Preston) (3/6 games)

DC- Richard Dunne (30, will be 32) (Aston Villa) (5/5 games)

MR- Liam Lawrence (28, will be 30) (Portsmouth) (0/4 games)

ML- Aiden McGeady (24, will be 26) (Spartak Moscow) (0 games)

MC- Glenn Whelan (26, will be 28) (Stoke) (4/4 games)

MC- Paul Green (27, will be 29) (Derby) (4/5 games)

ST- Kevin Doyle (26, will be 28) (Wolves) (3/4 games)

ST- Robbie Keane (30, will be 31) (Spurs) (2/5 games, both subs)

I'm just saying.....I know there are players missing, but I think we should be moving on, and bringing a few more youngsters into the team.

------------------Doyle----Keane---------------------

--------------------------------------------------------

Duff-----------McCarthy----Whelan-----------Fahey

--------------------------------------------------------

Cunningham-----O'Shea-----Dunne-----------Coleman

-------------------------Given--------------------------

Czech Republic are notthing like the same team they had a decade ago and Rosicky, their best player in my opinion, is a shadow of the player he was

Yeah, well, we'll swap you them for Russia. No doubt Arshavin will return to his best form when our fixtures swing around. Wenger has attempted to explain his poor form of late due to Russia failing to qualify for the WC, so if he takes it that personally, I'd imagine we'll see a hungry player coming at us when October swings around.

Not fancying us playing there in the following year, though. I hear it's a bit breezy.

Archived