Democracy - We had a good run

Jaime L

Danny Williams is a self-important asshat loudmouth whose whole attitude in this has been more along the lines "Let them eat cake" than "I was sick and felt like I had no choice". This exact procedure is available throughout Canada, though I gather not in Newfoundland - this is not surprising in a province with barely 500,000 people. Minimally invasive mitral valve repairs are in fact done here in Halifax, i.e. at the teaching hospital where I spend about half my clinical time at the moment and where I'll do a cardiac surgery rotation next winter. I'm not certain they do the endoscopic (right thoracotomy) version here, but they certainly do in pretty much any larger centre, e.g. Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver, etc., and probably many smaller centres with a cardiac surgery program.

In any case, the "cosmetic" benefit to Williams' surgery is only really worthwhile if it doesn't need to be redone. The major disadvantage of anything "minimally invasive" or endoscopic is a reduced level of precision and, often, long-term success. What's more, this type of surgery does not carry any wait times of great significance. Certainly, Williams hemmed and hawed about this for several weeks, even though it could've probably been done within that time in-country if not in-province (and even there I'm unclear that that's at all accurate).

The Czar,

Because he wanted to? Seriously Scot, no-one is saying people canĀ“t go to other country for expensive private healthcare.

Sure, but most people don't want to travel to get heart surgery. They'd perfer to stay at home. I'm curious why he's choosing to leave Canada to get an operation avaliable closer to home?

Aemon,

If the procedure is available throughout Canada why is he coming to the U.S. to have it done?

I think I'd made that fairly clear when I described him as a self-important asshat. I expect the primary motivation for his going to Miami for the surgery was so he could hang out at his Sarasota condo immediately afterwards. Which he's doing right now.

And I don't care for your insinuation that he would have received inferior care here.

I think I'd made that fairly clear when I described him as a self-important asshat. I expect the primary motivation for his going to Miami for the surgery was so he could hang out at his Sarasota condo immediately afterwards. Which he's doing right now.

And I don't care for your insinuation that he would have received inferior care here.

So he spent tens of thousands of dollars out of his own pocket just to hang out in Sarasota?

uh.... Ok.

Spoken like a man who has obviously never been to sarasota.....

Aemon,

I missed that in your post. My question was sincere. I wondered why he would travel if the procedure was available closer to home.

So he spent tens of thousands of dollars out of his own pocket just to hang out in Sarasota?

uh.... Ok.

Spoken like a man who has obviously never been to sarasota.....

He's a multimillionnaire. The bigger question is why someone of his means would have a condo there.

ETA: Fair enough, Scot. I don't mean to come off snippy, but sometimes things sound more like rhetorical questions than they should.

Archived