NFL the offseason

AndyP

Well, Panthers finally realized they weren't going to get anything more out of Delhomme, though it still came a few years too late for my taste. They also cut Damione Lewis, which is going to leave a big hole in out D-Line, but I'm willing to wait and see who they get before making a judgment on that move. <_<

The Bengals, as expected, cut Coles. I wonder if they did that just to void his contract then try to resign him for significantly less money or if they're going to be a player in a Boldin/Marshall trade. I would love to land either of them, regardless of their history (Boldin's injury and Marshall's off the field). At this point, I don't really care, I just want a threat opposite Ocho. If we give Palmer one of them, this team could be scary good.

Chester Taylor is a Chicago Bear

Also, Peppers is taking a physical with his announced signing (12-14 million a year) coming any time.

Things just got interesting in Bizarro Bears world. I'm waiting to see if the fans (ones on other boards and ones I know personally) start screaming about how this guarantees the team the Super Bowl as they did after the Cutler signing last year.

While this definitely improves the team, as will getting a new safety, it's still a matter of seeing how the pieces fit together. As Jaime can tell you, your team spending a boatload of cash in free agency does not equal the playoffs, let alone a winning season.

Chester Taylor is a Chicago Bear

Also, Peppers is taking a physical with his announced signing (12-14 million a year) coming any time.

Things just got interesting in Bizarro Bears world. I'm waiting to see if the fans (ones on other boards and ones I know personally) start screaming about how this guarantees the team the Super Bowl as they did after the Cutler signing last year.

While this definitely improves the team, as will getting a new safety, it's still a matter of seeing how the pieces fit together. As Jaime can tell you, your team spending a boatload of cash in free agency does not equal the playoffs, let alone a winning season.

Those are good signings. I'm mildly surprised but really the BIG 3 in Beardom (Prez Ted Phillips, GM Jerry Angelo, and Lovie Smith) have to win or they are gone next year. They are also reportedly actively shopping Greg Olsen. Chicago media keeps talking about how in the Martz Offense the TE is just a glorified OT and the Bears have already signed a blocking TE today. So these reports could be legit.

I think the Lions may have helped themselves as well. They signed DE Kyle Vanden Bosch, DT Corey Williams, and WR Nate Burleson. I tthink they are solid building blocks for a young team, especially if the Lions tale one of theose two monster DT's in the first round. They could have a pretty damn good defensive line next year.

Redskins interested in Sexy Rex. The sound you just heard was Jaime's head exploding.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/redskins-interested-in-rex-grossman/

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Yeah, wasn't sure I believed the Peppers to Redskins rumors and looks like I was right. Now the analysis was it was Bears all the way. And if not the Bears, the Eagles or Patriots. Think every big name guy gets linked to the Skins as a way to drive up the price.

I wonder if this means anything on the Tommie Harris front.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Yeah, wasn't sure I believed the Peppers to Redskins rumors and looks like I was right. Now the analysis was it was Bears all the way. And if not the Bears, the Eagles or Patriots. Think every big name guy gets linked to the Skins as a way to drive up the price.

I wonder if this means anything on the Tommie Harris front.

Rumor has it the Skins may get in a bidding war with the Packers for LT Chad Clifton. Now THAT makes sense!

and several reports that the Peppers deal is done.

I don't understand the Taylor signing. Yes, Forte wasn't great - but he wasn't bad, and he has an atrocious line for most of the year (basically, as long as the reanimated corpse of Orlando Pace was playing). When that got changed he got better and they got better.

Now, taking a chunk out of Minnesota isn't bad at all, and now they have no running back who can hold onto the ball; I approve. But of the Bear's needs...running back was way down on the list.

Looks like the Seahawks are going to go hard after Brandon Marshall. Of all the teams to pursue him, kinda surprised it's the Seahawks.

Rumor has it the Skins may get in a bidding war with the Packers for LT Chad Clifton. Now THAT makes sense!

Agreed, especially with Samuels retiring.

I don't understand the Taylor signing. Yes, Forte wasn't great - but he wasn't bad, and he has an atrocious line for most of the year (basically, as long as the reanimated corpse of Orlando Pace was playing). When that got changed he got better and they got better.

Now, taking a chunk out of Minnesota isn't bad at all, and now they have no running back who can hold onto the ball; I approve. But of the Bear's needs...running back was way down on the list.

I think part of it was taking away a rival's weapon, but another part is that the Bears don't have a proven capable backup at the position. I'd much rather have Taylor over Wolfe, Bell or Kevin Jones and it has to be assured that he'll still be the backup or at the least splitting carries with Forte.

And for an ugly bit of football news:

Big Ben accused of sexual assault again, this time in BFE, Georgia. Whether true or not, the guy is an idiot for even allowing himself to be put near a situation like this.

From what I hear, Forte actually had a problem hitting the right hole much of last season. :stunned: The radio guys, who often bash the Bears think Taylor is a significant running upgrade over Forte. Also, Taylor is a very good receiving back which a necessity in a a Martz system.

I agree with Possum that they needed to get a guy who could take a large chunk of carries.

Josh Cribbs and the Browns agree to three year-$20 million deal, with $7.5 million guaranteed. Josh is an outstanding player, but I think they are overpaying here. Corey Williams being traded to the Lions doesn't surprise me. He was played out of position the entire time here.

Also, it's being reported that the Raven, Chiefs, and Patriots are the front-runner for Anquan Boldin. Do the Pats really need another great WR or are they just trying to get him on the cheap?

Forte was also a very good receiver both last year and the year before. I dunno; it's hard to imagine that Forte regressed so much from his rookie season.

But regardless, I don't think that RB was that big an issue. There are a lot of RBs out there, and that's one of the few places where you were likely to find someone in the draft given how late they're picking.

Also, it's being reported that the Raven, Chiefs, and Patriots are the front-runner for Anquan Boldin. Do the Pats really need another great WR or are they just trying to get him on the cheap?

Moss is going downhill and Welker is not likely to ever be the same player he was. It's fine for a slow QB to come back from a blown knee, considerably tougher to work with that knee when your entire career is about hard cuts and rapid changes of speed and direction.

So the Pats definitely need as much WR help as they can get, and the cupboard is pretty bare. Julian Edelman may be a decent Welker substitute, but there's no one on the roster who's a proven and capable #2 receiver.

Moss and company will have some problems with that tandem. Considering that right now my Pats don't have a TE on the roster (beyond practice squad scrubs) unless they resign Ben Watson. TE and legit 3rd WR are top priorities for this draft.

They really don't need to do much of anything with the TE situation unless they plan to change their playcalling. They simply don't use a TE in pass catching situations...well other than for blocking. They just need another meat head to stick on the end of the line and block. Maybe catch 15-20 balls. Not a tall order.

Archived