Your Kingsguard, Hand of the King, and Small Council

Carter209

I don't know if this has been done before, and if it has go ahead and delete this topic, but I'll give it a go anyway. Characters that can be involved should be restricted to those alive at the beginning of AGOT. Plus I might leave out a position or two on the Small Council, so if I do please let me know.

Please note: vows for the Kingsguard don't matter. I know this wouldn't be extremely legit, but just for the sake of fun.

So, to start off with Hand of the King; Tywin Lannister: The man knows how to run a kingdom, that's for sure.

Small Council:

Littlefinger-Treasurer, hopefully Tywin could keep him(relatively) in line

Varys-Master of Whisperers, the guy knows his stuff

Kingsguard:

Red Viper-knows how to wield a spear, and could have killed the Mountain, which is impressive.

I would never put these guys in power.

Its not their abilities I question its their motives.

You want people you can actually trust.

Just putting LF in this council has doomed you, I'm sorry.

Or Tywin, he'll be plotting to get his family into power. Better off dead.

The Seven Kingdoms

King: Robb Stark

Queen: Arianne Martell

The Council:

Hand of the King: Lord Brynden "the Blackfish" Tully

Grand Admiral: Lord Davos Seaworth (he knows the tactics of smugglers and is an loyal honest leader)

Lord Treasurer: Lord Tyrion Lannister

Master of Whispers: Lord Varys

Lord Justiciar: Lord Stannis Baratheon (of Storm's End)

Grand Maester: Maester Luwin

Adviser: Prince Oberyn "the Red Viper" Martell

Adviser: Lord Randyll Tarly

Adviser: Grey Worm (he needs a new name)

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Ser Barristan "the Bold" Selmy

The Kingsguard (White Cloaks):

Ser Jaime Lannister (The Westerlands)

"Small" Jon Umber (The North)

Ser Loras Tyrell (The Reach)

Ser Balon Swann (The Stormlands)

Ser Archibald Yronwood (Dorne)

Sandor Clegane (The Westerlands)

Andrik the Unsmiling (The Iron Isles)

The Castle's Guard (Red Cloaks):

A free army of Unsullied under the command of Grey Worm to guard the Red Keep (they need better names)

King's Personal Guards: Syrio Forrel and Areo Hotah

They with be with the King as his personal guard and council, along with the LC when he is not needed elsewhere).

Queen's Personal Guards: Dacey Mormont and Nymeria Sand

They are to be with the Queen at all times along with a member of the Kingsguard.

The Royal Family will be accompanied by a member of the Kingsguard at all hours of the day, along with a sworn shield if chosen.

Brienne of Tarth would be the sworn shield of the Princess

Ser Jorah Mormont would be pardon and allowed back to Westeros to serve the Royal Family as a Mentor/ Shield to the Prince.

Red Keep's Masters-at-Arms:

The Unsullied Soldier "Hero" (needs a new name)

Ser Bronn of Blackwater (dirty tactics and cunningness is needed to make a soldier better)

Jory Cassel

Commanders of the Citywatch (Gold Cloaks): Ser Jacelyn Bywater and Ser Addam Marbrand

Wardens of the Realm:

Warden Council of the North: Prince Brandon Stark, Lady Maege Mormont, Lord Galbart Glover, Lord Wyman Manderly, and Lord GreatJon Umber

Wardens of the West and Iron Islands: Lord Kevan Lannister and Lord Rodrik Harlaw

Warden Council of the Riverlands: Lord Edmure Tully, Lord Jason Mallister, Lord Stevron Frey, Lord Tytos Blackwood and Lord Jonos Bracken

Warden Council of the East: Lord Harrold Hardyng, Lord "Bronze" Yohn Royce, Lady Anya Waynwood, and Lord Horton Redfort

Warden Council of the South: Lord Willas Tyrell, Prince Doran Martell, Lord Leyton Hightower, Lord Bonifer Hasty, and Lord Stannis Baratheon

Lord Commander of the Night's Watch: Lord Jon Snow (The death of Lord Commander Mormont having happened)

Grand Maesters of the Night's Watch: Maester Aemon and Maester Samwell

The Night's Watch would be more of a military duty to the Realm then just a punishment for criminals. Boys around the age of 11-12 years old will head to the Wall to receive training and serve as Squires of the Watch until they are of age then they will become Men of the Watch. They will serve 8 years (not including their time as a squire) then they are discharged to return to they families or they can stay and remind with the Night's Watch. Criminals have to serve a sentence at the Wall of a minimum of 10 years at the Wall depending on their crimes.

-King: Me. I would rule the hell out of the kingdoms. I would give the Starks freedom to rule the North. I would remove the Greyjoys from power. And most importantly, I would force the Nights Watch to eliminate their vow to not marry or father children, they have a hard enough time recruiting.

-Queen: Daenerys. Smoking hot. Comes with dragons.

-Hand of the King: Tyrion. Would give me great advice, a moral person for the most part.

-Master of Laws: Stannis. This guy loves to hand out justice.

-Master of Coin: Tycho Nestoris, Or the best man from the Iron Bank of Braavos.

-Master of Whispers: Bran. I think with his warging and greensight, he could be better than Varys. If Melisandre could read her fires better, I would give it to her.

-Master of Ships: Davos. The guy knows every inch of the Blackwater and would provide great defence of Kings Landing.

-Grand Maester: Aemon I would have Luwin not far away though, Aemon is no spring chicken.

-Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Barristan Selmy.

-Kingsguard 2: Ned Stark.

-Kingsguard 3: Areo Hotah.

-Kingsguard 4: Bronn.

-Kingsguard 5: Strong Belwas.

-Kingsguard 6: Syrio Forel.

-Kingsguard 7: Brienne the Beauty.

-Master of Arms: Jon Snow Guy knows battle. Won't hurt to have that wolf either.

-Captain of the Golden Cloaks: Jorah Mormont. He better stay away from my queen though.

-Fool: Dolorous Edd Great stories and one liners.

well assuming that I am the King, my Queen would be Arianne Martell (she's exceedingly smart & supposedly beautiful, not to mention she pulls Dorne into the fold conclusively)

Hand: Tyrion Lannister, he might be the smartest man in Westeros and he's relatively loyal.

Master of coin: Littlefinger, I HATE him for betraying Ned, but until Im introduced to a suitable replacement he'll have to do. Thought about getting a Qartheen, but they're more untrustworthy than LF is.

*Master of Whispers: Arya Stark, she's getting quite good at lying and detecting lies and (assuming its with her identity intact) she'll have her FM skills.

*Master of Ships: Stannis, defeated Balon Greyjoy at sea...Nuff said.

*Master of Laws: Jon Snow (thought about Robb, but picking Jon allows Robb to maintain his status as heir to Winterfell. This way, I get Ned Starks influence without upsetting things in the North. Not to mention gettin Jon away from Cat)

*Kings Justice: I am of the North, "I wont need a servant to do my beheading for me."

*Commander of the City Watch: Sandor Clegane

*Grand Maester: Samwell Trawly

I'd have to create a spot of Bran Stark as well, assuming his greenseer skills assert themselves. maybe Master of Visions or something like that.

Kingsguard

Commander: Barristan Selmy (its a lifelong position and he's still pretty good at it.)

2nd in Command: Garland Tyrell (Loras is more popular, but Garland is the better fighter by FAR.)

Oberyn Martell (Poisoned Spear to all who would do me harm)

Balon Swann (skilled in multiple forms of combat, honorable, dutiful. the literal definition of a KG)

Brienne of Tarth (Loyal, determined, and good with a sword)

Aero Hotah (the epitome of an elite guard)

Jory Cassel (may be the most loyal man in the series other than Ned. Also, he wasnt the leader of Neds guard for nothing.)

id use the sand snakes as a personal guard for the Queen alongside the KG. & Id get rid of that whole celibacy thing for both the NW & the KG.

Nights Watch LC: Blackfish Tully (unless Mormont is still alive then I'd leave it at him).

Kingdom of the North

King of the North: Me

Queen of the North: Dacey Mormont

King's Hand and Lord Justiciar: Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell

Lord Admiral: Lord Davos Seaworth of The Dreadfort

Lord Treasurer: Lord Wyman Manderly of White Harbor

Master of Whispers: Brandon Stark

Grand Maester: Luwin

Adviser: The GreatJon Umber of Last Hearth

Adviser: Lord Brynden "The Blackfish" Tully of Moat Cailin

Adviser: Lord Galbart Glover of Deepwood Motte

Lord Commander: Areo Hotah

Kingsguard:

SmallJon Umber

Ser Marlon Manderly

Owen Norrey

Robin Flint

Sandor Clegane (first I'd help him get revenge on his brother then pay him to be a member of my guard)

Donnel Locke

• Moat Cailin shall be rebuilt under the command of Brynden Tully. The lands north of there will be planted and be used for cropping.
  • A canal will be built to connect White Harbor to the Fever River.
  • The Boltons would be removed of power and relinquish The Dreadfort to Davos Seaworth.

I wow to keep all characters I like to myself, protection from cruel world guaranteed. Therefore:

Hand of the King: Tyrion Lannister

Small Council:

Myrcella Baratheon

Bran Stark, future King in the North

Alayne Stone

Rickon Stark

Arya Stark

Robb Aryn

Jojen Reed

Kingsguard

Mance Rayder

Dany Targaryen

Meera Reed, future Queen in the North

Brienne of Tarth & Jaime Lannister

At King's Landing:

Queen: Daenerys Targaryen

Queen's Hand: Tyrion Lannister

Queen's Justice: Sandor Clegane

Grand Maester: Marwyn the Mage (screw Flat Earth Atheists; magic exists in this world!)

Master of Coin: Illyrio Mopatis

Master of Ships: Davos Seaworth

Master of Laws: Stannis Baratheon (if I can separate him completely from Melisandre's influence)

Master of Whispers: Varys, with Arya Stark as his assistant/apprentice and serving also unofficially as Queen's assassin ;)

Queensguard:

Lord Commander Barristan Selmy

Brienne of Tarth

Jorah Mormont (forgiven finally)

Jhogo

Aggo

Rakharo

Strong Belwas

At the Wall:

Lord Commander of the Night Watch: Jon Snow

Maester of the Night Watch: Samwell Tarly

• 1 month later...

King: Jon Arryn- well loved, too honorable to be corrupted he would be just fine

Queen: older version of Sansa Stark- she is a fine lady and she was trained for this sort of stuff

Hand of the king: Roose Bolton 'peaceful land, quiet people' and will also do the dirty work

Master of Ships: lord Davos

Master of coin: tyrion lannsiter, i think LF was stealing from the crown and giving fake numbers because nobody else carred to 'count coppers' so the belief that he made gold from nothnig was created by himsels. he can deceive people like that.

Master of laws: Stannis, he is very just and will judge equally lowborns and lords according to the law.

Grand Maester: Samwell Tarly

Master of whispers: arya stark

Gold cloaks LC: Areo Hotah

Kingsguard:

LC. crippled but with the gold hand working Jaime Lannister (just reread the chapter in ASOS with the Kingsguard meeting

Balon Swan

Oberyn Martell- the badass that every order needs

Bryden Tully

Rodrick Cassel- who will also train the princes ( i cant believe he wasnt included by the most)

Cortney Pennrose- loyal till the end

someone brave and good lowborn

special guests

royal cook: Wyman Manderly

Wedding planner: Walder Frey

King: Hot Pie

Hand of the King: Lommy Greenhands

Master of Coin: Cersei Lannister

Master of Laws: Gregor Clegane

Master of Whisperers: Deaf Dick

Grand Maester: Shireen Baratheon

Kingsguard:

Lord Commander Podrick Payne

Dolorous Edd

Euron Greyjoy

Alliser Thorne

Janos Slynt

Joffrey Baratheon

Patchface

I think this post will be more about who I wouldn't have serving me...

I would have neither Littlefinger as master of coin nor Varys as master of whisperers if I weren't absolutely convinced that their motivations were in perfect accordance with mine. Since this would require either delusion on my part to be so convinced, or fell binding rituals to compel their servitude, I will have to do without them. A pity, because those two would be the most competent at their jobs.

Stannis is too inflexible. He will have no part whatsoever in my government. The same goes for Eddard Stark.

Tyrion was not terrible as Hand, but he spent his entire term circumventing the office of the regent and his King. Obviously, he is too treasonous and self-serving to be expected to speak with the King's voice. Futhermore, he was terrible at the public relations part of the job and managed to alienate a lot of powerful people, so that's not a point in his favour. I don't think he distinguished himself as master of coin either, so I don't think there's much for him to do.

Pycelle can be expected to be loyal to the Lannisters, not me. Maester Luwin or Aemon would serve in his stead.

Despite his absolute depravity, Qyburn seemed to be very loyal towards his regent, even when all others abandoned her. He is also brilliant, in an evil scientist kind of way. I think I can find room for him in my government.

Tywin might make a good hand, but if that means I have to marry Cersei to assure myself of his loyalty, I think I'd rather choose someone else.

For the Kingsguard, I have only two no-brainers.

LC Barristan Selmy: His loyalty would be assured.

Balon Swann: Ditto.

Oh, I will have no Tyrell as a spouse; I can't risk it that we become enemies, and that I'm subsequently murdered by overprotective grandmothers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hand - Tyrion Lannister

The fact that he is a dwarf is concerning. Obviously he is not limited and is more than capable of ruling the seven kingdoms. My concern come from the fact that in a feudal society, dwarfs are considered jokes. You cant have a hand that people laugh at, even one thta is dispised is not a good idea. However Tyrion is the most skillful and trustworthy person to run the kingdoms so this will need to be overlooked.

Master of Coin - Willas Tyrell

Willas is said to be the most intelligent Tyrell and even Littlefinger does not consider him a fool, only boring and pious. Keeps a Tyrell close at hand, one that has a better reputation than the rest. Its a gamble and I also considered Baelor Hightower or Wyman Manderly considering their connection to huge amounts of coin, but I will stand by Willas.

Master of Laws - Stannis Baratheon

Stannis is one of the few truly just men in the realm. He is powerful, respected and feared, which are qualities that my hand does not posses. Stannis would dole out justice without letting anything get in his way, something that is desperately needed.

Master of Spys - Wyman Manderly

This was tough. I wanted a realistic choice rather than Bloodraven and Bran whcih are ridiculous for many reasons. Varys is untrustworthy and Qyburn is Cersei's. Wyman should great cunning in how he handled the Davos Seaworth situation and seemed to understand the game quite well. He posseses large amounts of coin with which to buy spys and is unfailingly loyal as long as the Starks sware fealty.

Master of Ships - Davos Seaworth

The Greyjoys arent trustworthy and Paxter Redwyne is not someone who is greatly impressive. Davos is well thought out, loyal and a great sailor. Stannis could work closely with him and teach him the real ins and outs of sea warfare.

Grand Maester - Luwin

To be frank the other choices suck. Cressen is too old, Pylos is too young and Pycelle works for the Lannisters.

Lord Commander of the city watch - Garlan Tyrell

The gold cloaks are a rable, Garlan is the man who can get them back into shape. He is honorable, loyal, skillful and has a talent for inspiring men to follow him. In the event of war he could command the city watch well.

Kingsguard

LC - Barristan Selmy

Brynden Tully

Balon Swann

Loras Tyrell

Robar Royce

Jory Cassel

Harras Harlaw

The last few of the Kingsguard were uncomfortably tough, but as long as Harlaw keeps his vows the rest are well suited to the white cloak. In spite of the instructions I decided to go with a realistic knight based kingsguard. The idea of the Kingsguard as these noble knights means something to the people and to add the Hound or Brienne would destroy that image.

I don't know who would be king or who would be queen (certainly not me).

Hand: Tyrion Lannister

Small Council:

Master of Ships: Davos

Master of Coin: Illyrio Mopatis

Master of Whispers: Varys

Master of Law: Doran Martell

Grand Maester: Samwell Tarly (or Master Luwin)

King's Guard:

Lord Commander: Barristan Selmy

Beric Dondarrion, Balon Swann, Brynden Tully, Jorah Mormont, Aeroh Hotah, Addam Marbrand

Gold Cloaks Lord Commander: Randyll Tarly

King's Justice: Ser Ilyn Payne

I'll not have a Greyjoy or a Lannister (apart from The Imp) or a Stark or a Baratheon filling any important office, thank you.

No, sorry, I'd rather have Randyll Tarly for the Gold Cloak Commander.

• 2 months later...

Hand of the King: Stannis, nobody messes with Stannis

Council

Kings Justice: Bronn, he definitely has the black humour for the job.

Master of Coin: Littlefinger

Master of Whispers: Tyrion

Grand Maester: Aemon, wise, ancient etc

City Watch: Dolorous Ed.

Kings Guard

Brienne

Jaime

Barristan

The Blackfish

Randy Tarly (what a badass)

Jorah Mormont

Strong Belwas

Small Council

Hand: Randyll Tarly

Master of Ships: Paxter Redywne

Master of Whispers: Renly Baratheon

Justicar: Eddard Stark

Master of Coin: Tyrion Lannister

Kingsguard

1. Barristan Selmy, Lord Commander

2. Areo Hotah

3. Loras Tyrell

4. Smalljon Umber

5. Beric Dondarrion

6. Anguy the Archer

7. Brynden Tully

Jaime left out for breaking his only vow...

• Hand Of the King: Davos Seaworth so far in the story he has proven to be a hell of a Hand and very similar to Ned Stark, who in Robert's Rebellion was great but wasn't that great Hand, but Davos was a smuggler and I believe he has a insight that Ned didn't. He also confronted Stannis when he thought his king was doing the wrong thing and that shows some serious guts.
  • Master of Laws: Ramsay Snow LOL Ned Stark there's not a better man in all seven kingdoms, I like Stannis too, how he turned Davos into a honorable man proves he would be efficient, but he would just burn people and that's unacceptable
  • Master of Coins: Littlefinger the guy made magic in King Robert's rule,the king just made more and more debts however the people didn't starve like in Joff's rule. Not that I want another reckless king like King Bob, but LF definitively has a talent.
  • Grand Maester: Maester Ludwin I'd choose Maester Aemon since in my opinion he's the greatest maester of all times, but he went to the wall voluntarily, that means he wouldn't be happy as Grand Maester. Plus, Maester Ludwin showed to be great at advice.
  • Maester of Whispers: Bran Stark It would need more weirwood planted. But nobody better than a person who can see past and present and places he's not even there without even needing "little birds". I like Varys, but he would just betray when he needs it, so... not good.
  • King's Guard:

Brienne of Tarth also as Lord Commander of the Kingsquard

Barristan, The bold

Robert Baratheon (he wouldn't respect the vows, but no matter what you say he once had honor, and he was a hell of a fighter)

Jaime Lannister though I wouldn't keep him so close

Arya Stark

Gendry Waters I know he's not a fighter but a blacksmith however he defeated Bites, who was huge and wild, and he's Bob's son, the boy has fighter genes. Plus, I trust him.

Arthur Dayne IDK why I dislike him a little, but he was the best with a sword, so it's beter to have him close.

• Adviser: Prince Doran Martell For political reasons and because I think he's a good player and I love his brain
  • Mistress of Ships: Asha Greyjoy more for political reasons, it's good to have a Greyjoy close to keep them quiet for while and if they rebel you have a hosted. And, of all Greyjoys, Asha is the closest to a trustworthy person
  • AdviserII: Howland Reed

I'm the King

Queen- Daenerys- she's beautiful and dragons in Kings landing would be nice.

Hand of The King- Davos- honest, loyal, has general common sense

Master of Law- Ned- a just man and fair, also he'd do the executing, so that would save money on the Kings justice

Master of Coin- Tyrion- he's good with money and a Lannister always pays his debts

Master of Whisperes- Bran- will be able to see everything

Master of Ships- Victarion- Good sailor and command chief, boat smart

Grand Maester- Qyburn- i'd rather have him with me then against

Great Septon- Aeron Damphair- very religious

Lord Commander of The Kingsguard- Barristan Selmy- good fighter, loyal, intelligent and full of experience

Arya- she's training to become probably the most deadly character and she doesn't want to marry

Brienne- great with a sword and very loyal

Robert Strong- cough-Gregor-cough, maybe a zombie, those things are hard to kill

Ser Jorah- good with a sword, loyal if he likes you

Brynden Tully- good with a sword, intelligent

Ramsey- someone has to taste my food for poison

This is an interesting thread. It would probably take me *an age* to try and reconcile all the House conflicts within my Small Council/KG, so I will pretend that they all get along sweetly, nobody died ever, and ASOIAF never happened.

King: Tywin (I'm a Lannister girl, so I have to say this...)

Queen: Joanna

Small Council:

Hand: Tyrion

Master of coin: Littlefinger (kept in close check by the king, of course)

Grand Maester: Aemon (sorry Pycelle...)

Master of Whispers: Arya!

Master of Law: Samwell (he'd do a good, sturdy job and keep out of trouble)

Master of ships: Assshhaaa!!

Kingsguard:

Lord Commander: Jaime <3

Bronn

Brienne (Tywin defended by a woman? Got to have it for the lolzzz)

Bryndon Tully

Oberyn (potentially the next kingslayer... but what better way for Tywin to keep him in check?)

Robert Baratheon (before he got fat)

Ned (a great honourable life serving King Tywin; yes I am evil...)

Edmure Tully becomes Lord Paramour to the Riverlands

Tyion gets Casterly Rock

Jon Arrys remains Protector of the Vale

Robb becomes Warden of the North when he comes of age

Cersei is married off to some wealthy city merchant in Essos

Everyone is happy?

King: Stannis Baratheon.

Queen: Selyse dies, he'll choose another.

Kingsguard:

Barristan Selmy as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. No one's without sins.

Jaime Lannister.

Oberyn Martell.

Garlan Tyrell. I'll forgive him that they framed Sansa for the murder.

Brienne of Tarth.

Greatjon Umber. YEAHH.

Sandor Clegane, last but not least. He'll be my Sworn Shield. I'm quite mean though, he's finally at rest, but I'll name him to my Kingsguard. I'm a bitch.

Hand of the King: Davos Seaworth! I really like the guy, he seems very skilled at being the Hand of the King of Stannis. I'll choose him, definitely.

Small Council:

Master of Laws; The Stannis himself. King and Master of Laws, he'll do that.

Master of Ships: Asha Greyjoy

Master of Coin: Tyrion Lannister

Master of Whisperers: Arya. Great idea, Lannister girl!

Grand Maester: Maester Luwin for the win!

Archived