liberalism atheism and sexual exclusivity in men linked to IQ

Cuellar

Okay, let's have a bipartisan compromise. Einstein believed in the demigod Hercules. No one wins, no one loses, and history just got a little bit more interesting.

You moron, he worshipped wise Rhadamanthus!

You were one of three boarders to factor into a long, badass dream the other night. You were, effectively, the Master of Arms. I thought you should know. (The description is in the Dreams thread somewhere on the last 2 pages.)

Phew, glad to know i'm not the only one with board dreams, after a recurring nightmare around the time of the rating system implementation that featured Ran getting shot by a poisoned arrow. He was some kind of ultimate ruler of a goblin army who were staging a revolt. :dunno:

...vauge relevance....isn't there already a strong and uncontroversial correlation between liberalism and education anyway? As well as atheism? And I can see promiscuity being more of an age thing, possibly class. (Divorce rates are higher amongst the poor, right?)

I got almost all the answers right, except for one or two objects which just stumped me - it turned out they weren't in common use anymore. Forgive me if I don't remember the specifics, it's been 25 years. One of the things in the IQ test was obviously, "what is the use of this object?" (a, b, c, or d).

I would not dispute that some questions on IQ tests are culture-bound (necessarily so, since what IQ was originally designed to measure is capacity for success in a traditional school system, which includes an understanding of some aspects of the culture the school is in.)

But if you "got almost all the answers right", you must have ended up with a high score on the test, no?

i recall an IQ test that had questions about photographs of marilyn monroe and richard nixon. WTF?

the same test did also invent a fake language that one was compelled to acquire during the testing in order to answer questions in the fake language; that seemed a bit less culturally bound than the photograph section.

Triskele,

Another recent study in this column suggests that conservatives are more likely to be fearful of things. This is probably insulting to conservatives at first, but upon reflection, do many of them not argue that liberals are far too unafraid of the threat of terrorists for example?

Well Tormund and I certianly do.

** rolls eyes **

I propose a new title to the master thread for bashing the right of the political spectrum:

"Consevatives, right wing moron fraidy cats who wet their beds or Satan's minions, Discuss."

Well, yes - but it made me see how an IQ test can be culture-bound, and how some kids (or adults) might score badly on it, even though they are no less "smart".

I don't think that IQ tests are wrong, per se, just that they should be taken with a grain of salt.

Which is why there have been legal rulings that one cannot assign a child to a class for the mentally retarded except on the basis of an individualized IQ test given in a language the child is fluent in.

Most of the widely used IQ tests correlate highly with each other. However, about 25% of Americans will get scores that are 10 points or more apart on two different tests. (10 points is often used as the rough average difference it takes for there to be noticeable differences in performance outcomes.) No measurement is perfect.

I have my issues with the concept of "IQ" and IQ testing, however, I think some of us - Arya - are failing to look at cultural context here. I doubt there were many "atheists" in Western Europe in the 1700s.

(And here I thought the Apocalypse is coming in two years... ;))

(And why are the ads for this thread for gay dating sites?)

LOLS. That was their boom period actually. Regardless, Einstein was in the late 1800s.

Anyway, IQ doesn't matter.

I have several issues with this study. I'll accept it as a preliminary, certainly worth further investigation, but not as anything conclusive.

~ It was too narrow - something spanning multiple countries and cultures would be better.

~ It focused on age ranges that are prone to rapid changes in ideology - break it down to age brackets, and give us a view on how the different IQs view things at different ages. That will also let us see how those views might change at different ages.

~ It defined "liberal" and "conservative" in very generic, and misleading terms. It would have been better if they used the words "altruistic" and "Selfish". Honestly, if you asked me to pick based on the terms that they provided, Id probably have said liberal too… though I am anything BUT a liberal in actuality. I wouldnt be surprised if their breakdown between religious definitions was equally as vague and misleading… Sort of a Do you go to church every day, do you commonly kneel before the priests of X[/1] religion, and do you believe in and act on the orders of the church without ever hesitating or even thinking to question their doctrine… or, are you an atheist? type of scenario. Ask a loaded question, and you can get the very unreliable results that you were after.

~ Is the average IQ really so low? Really? I never did any research into it, but I always thought that my own IQ was just barely above average (certainly nothing exceptional), and the last time that I was tested my IQ was 147 (granted, that was 4th grade and I did a LOT of drinking between that time and graduating high school, but still…) I always figured average IQ would be in the 120-140 range… but 95???

I believe it means being in an exclusive relationship i.e. only having one sexual partner rather than multiple partners.

As in EVER? or just most of the time... I very rarely have sex with more than one person at a time... Does that count?

Archived