Soccer 18

Alcibiades

Holy crap. Dundee United were 3-1 down to Rangers and managed to draw 3-3. Steven Whittaker scored a belting headed own goal that any striker would be proud of. At least they're in tomorrow's semi-final draw and Dundee aren't.

Manchester City are 1-0 down at Sunderland. It seems like no one wants to finish first or fourth in the Premier League this season.

Omg what a strike from johnson in the city game.

It was a damn fine strike. Usually with goals like that there's a question if it was crossed (because so much emphasis is put on placement and curl rather than power) but in replays you can clearly see he looks right at the goal and slots it in the top left corner.

Delicious.

Phil Brown is axed!

I don't agree with the view that he had to go now to ensure Hull stay up. He either had to go weeks ago, or not at all, as the disruption at this point of the season (with their next games being Portsmouth, Fulham, Stoke, Burnley, Birmingham, Sunderland and Wigan) will be catastrophic, I think.

Fucking hell, Johnson. Why?

He wanted to sign for us, he was offered to us, and we didn't accept. Another 2 points down the drain.

It would have been worse if it wasn't for the mighty Craig Gordon. That was probably his best performance yet in the Premier League.

And that's certainly a terrible decision on the part of the Hull City board seeing as they've done this with a view to the great escape. If the decision has been made with the idea of stabilising the team before trying to get back up next season then I can see the logic behind it: Phil Brown lost the dressing rom over a year ago away to Manchester City and the team hasn't been the same since so mabye a fresh start is needed. Even if that were the case I still wouldn't agree with the decision: he's the most successful manager the club has ever had and it's nothing short of a disgrace when clubs fail to show faith in managers who've done as much as he has for them.

The best candidate to succeed Phil Brown must be Alan Curbishley. His record at Charlton Athletic shows that he can keep a small club overachieving for years.

Phil Brown is axed!

I don't agree with the view that he had to go now to ensure Hull stay up. He either had to go weeks ago, or not at all, as the disruption at this point of the season (with their next games being Portsmouth, Fulham, Stoke, Burnley, Birmingham, Sunderland and Wigan) will be catastrophic, I think.

Agreed. This is a Newcastle - Alan shearer style panic move. I don't know who they bring in to make any meaningful changes this late in the season.

Wouldn't half know Portsmouth are going down. Liverpool 3 up. Should have been 4. Torres hit the post. 'The hang dog look has returned to Avrim Grant's face' :lol: These goals could wind up being useful in determining the league's final standings.

Should be Curbishley, although I say that for every vancancy. He's stability personified, he'd have a chance.

The Hull City chairman has ruled out Curbishley. Gary Megson is the bookies favourite.

Liverpool will end up beating Man Utd now.

Well you never know. If Reina punts a few long balls up to Torres then Vidic may well throw a wobbler again. :)

EPL fixtures list for the next week and a half:

Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Wigan v Aston Villa, 19:45

Saturday, 20 March 2010

Arsenal v West Ham, 17:30

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton, 12:45

Everton v Bolton, 15:00

Portsmouth v Hull, 15:00

Stoke v Tottenham, 15:00

Sunderland v Birmingham, 15:00

Wigan v Burnley, 15:00

Sunday, 21 March 2010