A Game of Thrones a tad bit Orientalist?

All-for-Joffrey

Whoa! That was a whole essay, MountainThatRides, and some pretty interesting reading. I used to think you were George RR Martin's screen name. :D

I completely see your points, but I have to disagree on some.

My problem is that the Dothraki are incredibly one-sided. The Ironmen and the mainland Westerosi also regulary rape the women of conquered populations, but they're given more characteristics than that. And don't give me that load of shit that the Dothraki were portrayed this way because we see them only through Dany's eyes: Jon is also the POV of a stranger among the savage wildlings, but they are far more humanized. I know this has been endlessly repeated before, but the Dothraki who are closest to Dany barely get any characterization at all. Supposedly Irri and Jhiqui are always near Dany, but we know much more about random Westerosi servants like Old Nan than we do about them.

With the Dothraki, GRRM combined every cartoony negative stereotype from the Mongols/Huns/Native Americans. I never understood why the Dothraki are so nomadic, either. The khalasar is always aimlessly moving around for no reason. Some other poster put it the best way: "It's like a big, stupid, amorphous beast picked up Dany and ran away to Vaes Dothrak and then to nowhere in particular"

Their dialogue is often stilted, especially when tehy refer to themselves in third person. "If the screaming disturbs my Khaleesi, Jhogo will bring her his tongue." Either that, or they use odd language like "we will bind this maegi, and let every man use her, and then the dogs too will make a womb of her". Whereas a Westerosi who made a similar threat said, more realistically: "I'll give you to my dog to fuck!"

Again, see Scott Bakker's Scylvendi for a good portrayal of violent horse-riding barbarians. They're fully realized - for example, they're nomadic because they are herders who live off their cattle, constantly moving so their herds can graze. And they are warlike in a scary, not stupid way.

Ran put it the best way actually. The people of the East are not characters, they're there only as a weird "oriental flavor". Which is orientalist.

The khalasar is always aimlessly moving around for no reason

Really? Drogo's khalasar goes to Pentos, to recieve the gifts of the magisters, and to find himself a bride with the dragon-blood of Valyria. He then travels to Vaes Dothrak, to present his bride and discover the portents from the dosh khaleen. Then he travels east, apparently with a mind either to take slaves or to destroy the khalasar of Khal Ogo. And then he intends to take his slaves east to the fleshmarts of Slaver's Bay, to gather wealth with which to carry out his promise to cross the narrow sea.

Doesn't seem aimless at all. Why I assume any of them are moving aimlessly?

The people of the East are not characters, they're there only as a weird "oriental flavor".

Not what I said, nor is it what I believe.

With the Dothraki, GRRM combined every cartoony negative stereotype from the Mongols/Huns/Native Americans.

What negative stereotypes did he take from the Native Americans? The only traits I've noticed from the Native Americans are physical characteristics like skin colour. Am I missing something?

• 1 year later...

Double post!

Edit: Okay...my original post disappeared as well? Basically, I did not like GRRM's portrayal of the eastern continent, and I wish there was more complex characterization there and also the political complexity that Westeros has - considering that the eastern continent has a much larger political landscape, it's a shame that its politics is so simplified.

Considering the depiction of the Eastern cities culturally, aesthetically, morally and in term of characterization, I would say GRRM's portrayal is far more than a "tad" orientalist.

Personally, I find that aspect of the books quite troubling.

Archived