Lost season 6

Gertrude

Cheech and MOM! Was interesting his dad was no there. Maybe Cheech Marin was unavailable. Or not everything is perfect in this timelines.

I agree with the Y timeline. Look at Hurley. No hatch, no numbers, no lottery win. He made his money another way.

I'm puzzled by his finding the small marble type bag on the beach. Was that the bag they found in the caves that contained the black and white stones? If so, why did that affect him so greatly. It was at that point that he decided to blow up the Black Rock.

ETA: Nevermind. As soon as I clicked I remembered there was another bag like that. Jacob's ashes. That makes a lot more sense.

Yep, it was Ilana's stuff so it had to be Jacob's ashes. As for Cheech, he probably just wasn't available.

Hurley did actually win the lottery in this timeline (he said so in LA X, and there seems to be a deleted scene, according to Jorge Garcia's podcast, where we see Hurley winning the lottery with different numbers). But if there's any grounds to the theory that Jacob is a huge dick who completely destroys lives, it can be found in this episode, where we see how great Hurley's life could have been. Poor island timeline Hurley.

ETA: Nevermind. As soon as I clicked I remembered there was another bag like that. Jacob's ashes. That makes a lot more sense.

Yeah, the only thing that doesn't make sense about that is why Ilana didn't have them on her like she always had up to that point? I know, plot convenience and all, but it's the minor nits I prefer to pick. They make my head hurt less.

Yeah, the only thing that doesn't make sense about that is why Ilana didn't have them on her like she always had up to that point? I know, plot convenience and all, but it's the minor nits I prefer to pick. They make my head hurt less.

The island is magical? :P

The bag was done with her.

Yep, it was Ilana's stuff so it had to be Jacob's ashes. As for Cheech, he probably just wasn't available.

Hurley did actually win the lottery in this timeline (he said so in LA X, and there seems to be a deleted scene, according to Jorge Garcia's podcast, where we see Hurley winning the lottery with different numbers). But if there's any grounds to the theory that Jacob is a huge dick who completely destroys lives, it can be found in this episode, where we see how great Hurley's life could have been. Poor island timeline Hurley.

yeah, that's right. He tells Artz that in LAX. Just odd that it wasn't mentioned during Chang's speech.

Speaking of Chang, I'm not really sure his appearence is really significant other than that he's again narrating a video. Maybe just more Lost irony.

A polar bear did it!

Edit: Speaking of which, if the finale doesn't involve our characters riding into battle against Flocke riding on polar bears, this whole show will have been a waste.

Only if Flocke takes the form of Vincent. Why haven't they brought back Vincent? The world needs more Vincent.

Wasn't Vincent with Rose & Bernard - wherever they turned out to be?

Yeah he was. But it might be that Rose and Bernard somehow got blasted forward in time as well..

Vincent is the only dog/person/being that's 100% guaranteed to survive the finale, according to the producers.

I'm finding both to be easy to believe. What I have a problem with is the notion that she could have gotten the journal and then (in one timeline) made Faraday give up music but in the other timeline not.

What's so hard to believe? We know in the journal Faraday mentions constants. Constants have an effect on people which enables them to gain consciousness in various points in time. The only example we have of this is Desmond, but from what Eloise says to Desmond, it's clear that she's conscious in some level in multiple points in time. She has a constant, too.

She has no idea that Faraday's action would cause the island to sank. As far as Faraday knows, the island may or may not have sank; he has almost no knowledge of what the island is. Time travel, physics, sure. But the island? Not a clue. Point being, the journal isn't going to mention that the island sank or re-emerged or anything like that.
I think you're misreading what I am alluding to. The reason why I pointed out that the island sank was because in the original timeline, the island didn't sink. That it did in the alternate timeline shows that whatever Faraday planned to negate the Incident succeeded. The sinking of the island is not supposed to happen. His plan to make flight 815 land safely into LAX was not supposed to succeed, but it did.
So we've then got to figure out that if it wasn't the incident that caused her to reevaluate what to do with Faraday, what was it? We have two important bits of information that we know for certain:

1) Eloise absolutely knows about the 'real' universe, at least to some degree

2) We know one mechanism for flashing between the universes: love

Now, it's very possible she has the journal, but the impetus for her changing isn't that she has the journal; it can't be, because if she has it in both timelines it's the same thing. The same thing can't cause different reactions in the same person. Instead, it's got to be something else that made her change her ways.

You have the answer right there. She knows what happens in both timelines, which is why she didn't need to steer her son toward physics in the alternate timeline. He succeeded in negating the Incident, so he doesn't have to grow up to be a physicist. Of course (and I'll keep repeating this until you'll finally understand), that is not supposed to happen which is why there is such a problem. She doesn't give a fuck because in this timeline her son is still alive. She cheated fate, but you can't cheat fate, at least in the Lost world because whatever happens, happened.

Why couldn't it be her connection to Faraday? Is it so hard to imagine that she has a similar flash to Hurley when he's born and sees what might have happened? Especially what we've seen about Desmond, Charlie, and Hurley and Libby now?

Because it's more convoluted and doesn't follow with the main themes of Lost.
My theory, at least, is getting more and more filled in by actual occurrences on the show so far. We don't (and almost certainly will never) know what's in Faraday's journal. But we do know how people have memories of their 'real' life, and we do know they'll change their behavior. And in the case of Eloise, we do know about prior events she did that absolutely did not happen in the altverse; she stayed with Widmore, she pushed Faraday to music.

She and Widmore parted ways after Jughead. Faraday wasn't born until after Jughead. Both of these things changed after the bomb went off so it doesn't help your case any.

See, that doesn't make sense either. If the plan works (and it's not clear that plan working == island sinking; that wasn't faraday's goal, anyway), she has one of two options: to make sure that Faraday goes through with the plan, or to make sure that he doesn't so that he's saved (this assumes she's killed him in one of the universes). In one universe, she forces him to stay on the timeline. I guess she can read that he goes to the island at a later date, but again - she knew about the Lamp Post, about the island moving through time and space, about the weirdness of all of it; why would she think that just because the island sank at some point that Faraday doesn't end up going to it after it's emerged?

Well I believed I already responded to the island sinking, but how can you be certain that Faraday's goal wasn't the island sinking? He believed the EMP and the nuclear blast would cancel each other or whatever out but still there would have to be something that would happen.

Heck, why is it clear that she knows the island sank? Who would have told her? How would they have told her?

Uh, because she was still on the island right after Juliette hit the bomb, maybe?

First of all, it's a common thing in TV writing to wink and nod at the audience like that. Second, wouldn't you want to thank the person who was responsible for saving your son and wife's life if you could? It's not entirely rational, but it's totally a human thing to do.

Tell me how he could have thanked Hurley for something he didn't know he did (and didn't do yet), and not make himself sound like a crazy loon.

Archived