Cast the movie(s)

Simas

http://bp1.blogger.com/_aCiZ5tOn1gE/R0YmB8...h/amy_adams.jpg

This is pretty much exactly how I picture Catelyn. I'm not sure the actress would work overall, since she usually looks a lot younger than she is (and is cast accordingly). But damn, that picture's right on.

Eric Bana is pretty close to my mental Ned.

I was skeptical at first of Rachel Hurd-Wood as Sansa, since at first I thought people were just saying her because she's a red-head and she's relatively young. (Actually, I don't think she's a real red-head. Dude, red is not auburn, anyway.) But the more I look at her pictures, man, she is REALLY pretty, and she makes a very good little lady. So I vote yes! (Hmm, Hugh Laurie is her uncle. Does that mean he plays Edmure? :lol:)

Someone on this thread (or one like it) once suggested Steve Buscemi as Vargo Hoat. I laughed hysterically. In other words, it's right on!

Ed Harris as Tywin, of course. (I originally typo'ed this as "Ed Tywin." See?)

And I reiterate my support for Peter Dinklage as Tyrion and Richard Armitage as the Hound. Even if he is probably more handsome than GRRM intended. :drool: Give the fangirls what they want! *cough cough*

What does everyone think of the proposal to bump some of the character ages higher? For example, have Dany be 18 and Sansa be 16? It would make casting a lot easier, for sure. I like the idea. I think GRRM once said he would have made everyone older if he'd known he wouldn't be able to manage the five-year time skip. (But no way am I going to hunt down the SSM to support that.)

i dunno if richard armitage would be a good hound. he has a good brooding look to him, but the hound is crazy. and giant. i mean....he is like the only guy in the whole kingdom that can stand up to the mountain and not worry about his ass getting handed to him.

also---i think when casting, there's been a lot of names that are just being thrown out as type-casted roles. realistically though, i doubt a very large portion of them would even sign on for an HBO mini-series. like...johnny depp and brad pitt, -realisitically- would not be in this.

I also think that the age-factor and physical description of a lot of the characters is getting overlooked as well. like...ned being older and being described as having a longer face (grrm even refrences the look shared between him and arya, if i recall).

but overall there are a lot of good suggestions floating around.

Ideally they'd cast unknowns in every role. The one that cracks me up the most when I see it is Liam Neeson as Eddard. Not only is he nearly twice Ned Starks age in the books, you put him in there and the audience will go--ah, he's a mentor type that will impart wisdom to a younger generation before dying a noble death. (25 years ago he would have made one helluva Ned Stark). Why don't you throw Ian McDairmond in there as Aerys while you're at it.

They need to find a guy who looks like the Valaryian Resin sculpture of Ned. That is spot-on. That is the portrait of a guy who can speak softly of the age of heroes, and stare the Kingslayer off the Iron Throne.

Ideally they'd cast unknowns in every role. The one that cracks me up the most when I see it is Liam Neeson as Eddard. Not only is he nearly twice Ned Starks age in the books, you put him in there and the audience will go--ah, he's a mentor type that will impart wisdom to a younger generation before dying a noble death. (25 years ago he would have made one helluva Ned Stark). Why don't you throw Ian McDairmond in there as Aerys while you're at it.

I really agree with this, actually. Unknowns all the way, except for maybe a couple amusing cameos for minor characters. This thread is just for funsies. (Now I'm picturing the casting director reading it and being all, "Oh, hmm, wow, these are great ideas! Get their agents on the phone!")

They need to find a guy who looks like the Valaryian Resin sculpture of Ned. That is spot-on. That is the portrait of a guy who can speak softly of the age of heroes, and stare the Kingslayer off the Iron Throne.

I think the sculpture looks a bit like Josh Brolin. Liam as Eddard is definitely a no, but I think they could cast a known actor in that role because he could be the star of season 1 but wouldn't have to commit any more after that. Plus it would be extra shocking when he dies (to those who haven't read it, of course). I'm starting to lean to Eric Bana as Eddard.

I really agree with this, actually. Unknowns all the way, except for maybe a couple amusing cameos for minor characters. This thread is just for funsies. (Now I'm picturing the casting director reading it and being all, "Oh, hmm, wow, these are great ideas! Get their agents on the phone!")

I don't think they need to cast only unknowns. I think for kids and minor characters they should be. For the kids, whoever people suggest now are going to be too old by the time they get around to making the series. Some of the silliest suggestions are when people put A-list names down for minor characters (Like Viggo Mortenson as Bronn). Significant roles should go to known actors who aren't huge stars, possibly TV stars, which is why I like Jason Lewis as Jaime and Tricia Helfer as Cersei (she's going to need another job now that Battlestar Galactica is wrapping up). I do think you can go with bigger names for "guest stars" who play a significant role, but don't last very long, which is why I like Antonio Banderas as Oberyn Martell and Dwayne Johnson as Khal Drogo.

I know this is all for fun, but why not put some real thought into it and pick people who are not only good for the part but would also be willing to play the part?

Oh, and in my opinion Kevin Durand (notorious as "Keamy" from Lost) MUST play The Hound. http://www.imdb.com/media/rm348821248/nm0243806

Archived