Cast the movie(s)

Simas

Bernard Hill was always Tywin to me, necron9dee9, I'm happy somebody else thinks like that.

As per the hound... Micheal Wincott has had a long and storied history of playing raspy voiced SOBs... It's right up his alley. Accept no substitutes.

If he was wasn't dead... Here is your Pycelle.

While this Dumbledore's gruff edge makes him more of a candidate for the Old Bear.

Malkovitch I could see going a few ways.... He could steal the show as Vargo Hoat or Walder Frey... Or be the best damned Stannis ever.

Also somebody needs to think up a cool Bronn.

All I know is, after tonight's "Lost" episode, Josh Holloway (Sawyer/James) OWNS the role of Jaime Lannister.

Oh, add another vote for BH as Tywin.

Liam Neeson's too old now for Ned, but he'd be awesome as the Blackfish.

"I'm probably going to get bitched out by the LOTR junkies, but I was under the impression that Jaime Lannister was a *male* character. "

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Seriously, Orli = Loras. All that girlie, I mean curly, brown hair....and he's too young for Jaime, who is 36 or so now. Not to mention tooooooo gaaaayyyyy.

Big Show as Gregor--absolutely. I was trying to think of his name earlier.

Does anyone remember that old movie Dragonslayer? The bad guy in that would have absolutely the best Bronn ever - the sneer, the accent, the swagger. He is immediately who I pictured when I first read Bronn. I think his name is John Hallam.

Not a bad choice. Ironically, his character's name in that movie was Tyrian.

"Leonardo diCaprio as Jaime"

Aaack no! He couldn't lift a sword let alone fight with one.

Re: Bettany, funny you mention that, Silernia, the other night I was watching him on Jay Leno and thinking that if Holloway can't do Jaime, he could. He definitely captures the humor.

But when Josh/Sawyer gets mad, he does this thing with his eyes that is so scary! We've seen less of it since he's been trying to change but Jaime has a fierce and impulsive temper. Bettany seems a bit too civilized, more a pussycat than a lion. Holloway gives the impression behind the 'smile that cut like a knife' that you really don't want to be around when he stops smiling. He just ROCKED last night on "Lost."

"There's a new sheriff in town!"

EDIT: Of course if Holloway plays Jaime, given what we saw of him in the shower scene last night, the bath scene with Brienne will be worth the price of admission all by itself. Josh has a body by Praxiteles--which I doubt either Leo or Paul could match even if they worked out intensively.

Seriously, Orli = Loras. All that girlie, I mean curly, brown hair....and he's too young for Jaime, who is 36 or so now. Not to mention tooooooo gaaaayyyyy.

God Bless you BS. Can always count on you for sanity. You're carrying my van in threads, like Kevan led Tywin's in small council meetings. :cheers:

One last note about Orlando Bloom. Yeah he's definitely got the last name to play Loras and looks a lot like how I imagine him. All he's got to do now is get buffer, tougher...and be, well y'know...*less* gay.

:cheers: backatcha!

"last name to play Loras"

Haha, didn't even think of that, JaimeL...the Bloomin' Knight of Flowers!

I actually have to say I thought Legolas was pretty butch for an elf. I certainly would not have called him "poncy boy" at least when he had his bow cocked, or those two nifty knives in his hands.

Speaking of Kevan, has anyone mentioned Rutger Hauer for the K Man? Oh, and Bettany would be good as Daven Lannister, although I don't know if he was just a walk on.

Oh, and although he's a bit too old, Peter Sarsgaard might make a good Lancel, after all, his wound ages him. Sarsgaard has that "I'm hoping to be the Chris Walken of my generation" vibe, and Lancel's definitely a strange agent.

Oh, and although he's a bit too old, Peter Sarsgaard might make a good Lancel, after all, his wound ages him. Sarsgaard has that "I'm hoping to be the Chris Walken of my generation" vibe, and Lancel's definitely a strange agent.

That's right on. Didja catch Sarsgaard on SNL? Opening monologue was all about his creepy factor.

And with dead eyes he could play so many roles. Roose Bolton, Mandon Moore (who I still think should be played by Mandy Moore) but that's just me, Ramsey Bolton, but yeah, I can also see him playing an older, scarred Loras.

QUOTE(Sandsnake @ Feb 8 2006, 00.05)

Jaime: Orlando Bloom

I'm probably going to get bitched out by the LOTR junkies, but I was under the impression that Jaime Lannister was a *male* character.

:rotfl:

But Jaime looks exactly like Cersei so he should be a littttttttle less masculine than usual!

I would cast unknowns too, however given that I don't know any unknown actors...probably because they are unknown ;) here is my list of well known actors to play the parts. Some are taken from above suggestions, others are thoughts I've had myself.

Ned = Liam Neeson

Barriston the Bold = Sean Connery

Catelyn = Julianne Moore

Littlefinger = Edward Norton

LorasTyrell = Orlando bloom

Jaime Lannister = Brad Pitt

Cersei Lannister = Nicole Kidman

Tywin Lannister = Bernard Hill

Theon = Christian Slater

Karl Drogo = The Rock

Gregor Clegane = The Big Show

Oberyn Martell - Antonio Banderas

The King-Beyond-the-Wall: Jonny Depp

Melisandre = Christie Hemmie

Balon Greyjoy = Christopher Lee

Sandor Clegane = Michael Wincott

The Blackfish = Rutger Hauer

Lysa Arryn = Cate Blanchett

Robert Baratheon = Brian Blessed

Lady Merryweather = Hayfa Wehbe

Ygritte = Dina Meyer

Bronn = Hugh Jackman

Re: Bettany, funny you mention that, Silernia, the other night I was watching him on Jay Leno and thinking that if Holloway can't do Jaime, he could. He definitely captures the humor.

But when Josh/Sawyer gets mad, he does this thing with his eyes that is so scary! We've seen less of it since he's been trying to change but Jaime has a fierce and impulsive temper. Bettany seems a bit too civilized, more a pussycat than a lion. Holloway gives the impression behind the 'smile that cut like a knife' that you really don't want to be around when he stops smiling. He just ROCKED last night on "Lost."

"There's a new sheriff in town!"

EDIT: Of course if Holloway plays Jaime, given what we saw of him in the shower scene last night, the bath scene with Brienne will be worth the price of admission all by itself. Josh has a body by Praxiteles--which I doubt either Leo or Paul could match even if they worked out intensively.

I agree with you regarding Jaimes Character in the beginning, but don't forget how he has to change, and also there is the look, I mean, I really like Josh but he neither has green eyes nor really blond hair.

maybe another suggestion for Jaime: Thomas Jane or Brad Rowe

and I've got another one for Cersei: Sophie Dahl you would just have to change the eyes

and I don't know who he could play, but I'm pretty sure, Andy Serkis would have to be in that movie, maybe as Littlefinger

I've got my perfect Ned by the way, I would really like to see Thomas Kretschman in that role

and here's my Robb: Brady Corbet

Loras: Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Shouldn't Loras and Renly be Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger?

and which one should be the 15 year old boy??? :lol:

:cheers: backatcha!

"last name to play Loras"

Haha, didn't even think of that, JaimeL...the Bloomin' Knight of Flowers!

I actually have to say I thought Legolas was pretty butch for an elf. I certainly would not have called him "poncy boy" at least when he had his bow cocked, or those two nifty knives in his hands.

Speaking of Kevan, has anyone mentioned Rutger Hauer for the K Man? Oh, and Bettany would be good as Daven Lannister, although I don't know if he was just a walk on.

I would also like him as littlefinger at least the age matches regarding that he's about 1 or 2 years younger than Catelyn, and I always think that he looks like somebody you're not sure if you can trust

Wow. The nicest thing is that I can't think of a single person to cast in any of these roles. I love this. Somehow, the images in my head are TOO real to put some random famous actor into the role. Which means unknowns. Perfect.

Part of that may be because the older characters in the book aren't as old as the actors we might associate with them. What I mean by this:

Eddard Stark is only about 35 years old, tops. That's younger than many actors we might think for him. Can't think of one actor who's appropriate. Someone so average and humble in appearance, save for the dignity that speaks volumes on him.

Robert Baratheon? John Goodman was an inspired suggestion, but he's too old now.

I'll stop now. I usually like this kind of thing, but I think I like it better that there are no easy castings, which tells you a lot about how well GRRM draws his characters.

Archived