The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett

aidan

And that hillibilly talk is stepped up big time in the 3rd book according to reviews.

In fact, the first chapter of the book is online and it already contains a great deal of it, and is indeed very irritating. Maybe's Brett's just lost it.

Is shouting still a magical conflict resolution device?

Two new TDW reviews:

Tor.com

Fantasy Book Critic

An out and out thrilling storyline that mixes action, intrigue and amazing characters, Peter V. Brett’s The Daylight War is his best work so far and rather upends the bar steeply for this series. I would simply like to conclude by saying that with this book, Peter confirms his place among epic fantasy’s pantheon of greats amid the likes of George R.R. Martin, Steven Erikson, and Robert Jordan.

The funny thing is that Brett could have been a great writer. The first book was good in it's way. It had an interesting premise that it was able to use effectively, I can't ever remember being that filled with tension by something as mundane as a sunset before, even if I didn't always enjoy the characters. He had a good foundation, but for some reason he insisted on trampling all over that.

The funny thing is that Brett could have been a great writer. The first book was good in it's way. It had an interesting premise that it was able to use effectively, I can't ever remember being that filled with tension by something as mundane as a sunset before, even if I didn't always enjoy the characters. He had a good foundation, but for some reason he insisted on trampling all over that.

It also moved extremely fast. I remember reading the first book in a few days. There is a lot of good stuff in these books but unfortunately, for a lot of people, the bad outweighed the good. I will ultimately still pick up the 3rd book.

It's been a while, but wasn't this A Thing in C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy?

I'm really looking forward to The Daylight War. I totally understand - and agree with! - a lot of the criticisms I've read here, and I do my share of eye rolling at some of the female characters, but despite all that...I'm still into it.

Or your signature here.

I think you mean custom title. Nice try though.

eta:

I agree. Book 1 was an excellent addition to fantasy. The rape, while railroaded into the plot, did serve a purpose and was actually relatively well handled for SFF.

Book 2 became a joke. Didn't Leesha actually feel bad about drugging the dude who would have raped her?

I think you mean custom title. Nice try though.

eta:

I agree. Book 1 was an excellent addition to fantasy. The rape, while railroaded into the plot, did serve a purpose and was actually relatively well handled for SFF.

Book 2 became a joke. Didn't Leesha actually feel bad about drugging the dude who would have raped her?

She's not even guilty about drugging someone who seemed, up until the moment of the rape, to be perfectly chivalrous and sensitive, iirc she feels bad because she took away his manhood and that's wrong. I can get the former, even if I wouldn't shed a tear later on myself but the latter?

I'm honestly not even sure what to make of that. It seems like another way of showing Leesha as some sensitive soul that feels for everyone regardless of their actions but that would just make it worse.

Archived