Why Tyrion?

Heal

Again I ask Why Tyrion??

So many people on this board seem to be a fan of Tyrion, they also see him as intelligent.

I really don't get it,

1. He's not that smart he does a terrible job at Hand and gets outsmarted left and right, his PoV is disturbing how he thinks he knows what he's talking about the only person he ever outsmarts is Cersei and she's an idiot.

2. Him joining Dany makes no sense at all, I mean really think about it. Why would Dany this beautiful queen want this unintelligent dwarf around that couldn't manipulate his way around KL, her right hand man. Defiantly woulnd't trust hum with riding a dragon. It seriously makes no sense why would you trust this little ugly dwarf with a dragon let along to make him one of your 3 heads. If Tyrion ends up teaming up with Dany I may have to stop reading it's just to unrealistic. ITS NOT PLAUSABLE

Tyrion is an ugly little dwarf, that is honestly completly overrated on these boards, hes not as intelligent as everyone makes him out to be. Off the top of my head

Littlefinger, Varys, Euron, Stannis, Mel, Doran, Randyl Tarly, Tywin, Davos, Roose, and many more lesser bannerman I rather have at my side than Tyrion.

So please stop with the Tyrion love hes a complety overrated character with few interesting or good traits, he is defiantly the bad advisor type we all saw how much he failed serving as Hand. Dany would have a better chance with Barristan as her Hand and one of her dragon heads. I think Quentyn and Victorian should be her heads, Victorian will remind her of Khal Drogo which she will love and Quentyn has long ties with the Targs being a Martell.

There are many people boarders here who could defend him a lot better than I could, but I will say that the fact that tyrion's not perfect is sort of the point. The gray characters makes is one of the reasons why aSoIaF is such a good series.. Plus he's cynical and witty, which is not always a nice real life trait but in books it's great :D

Personally, I'd much rather have the twisted monkey demon on my side than Stannis, Euron, or Doran. Victarion has all the mental power of my computer desk without the computer and is worthless to Dany. Barristan is a good fighter but as a Hand he'd be a joke.

And Tyrion is effective and intelligent - he won the battle against Stannis, he figured out that Pycelle was betraying him, he negotiated a marriage alliance with Dorne and Highgarden, he won his way loose from Lysa Arryn on some personality judgement, he won the loyalty of the mountain clans. His main character fault is women and misogyny. He's just plain entertaining to read about.

So, let me just check, he's an ugly little dwarf? Yes? Great, thanks, just confirming....

:dunno:

Firstly, not everyone on this board is a fan of Tyrion. Some people find his personality flaws to be insurmountable. But even the ones who are fans of him don't claim that he's a genius, though everyone agrees he's got that "low cunning" Tywin kept going on about. He's also just charismatic and very easy to get under the skin of.

Personally I think he's astute in his observations, but he doesn't yet have the experience to figure out what best to do with those observations. I think there's good raw material there though. I think he's the sort who'll learn a lot about gamesmanship as he goes along, but he's not there yet by any means.

Victarion has all the mental power of my computer desk without the computer

:lmao:

1. He's not that smart he does a terrible job at Hand and gets outsmarted left and right, his PoV is disturbing how he thinks he knows what he's talking about the only person he ever outsmarts is Cersei and she's an idiot.

How did he fail as a Hand? And what the fact of him being an ugly dwarf has anything to do with people liking or disliking him? Are we supposed to only like the tall and handsome?

How did he fail as a Hand? And what the fact of him being an ugly dwarf has anything to do with people liking or disliking him? Are we supposed to only like the tall and handsome?

Let's look at what happened while he was Hand...

1. His King died.

2. He was accused of treason.

3. I haven't done a reread in a while, but I know there were many more problems.

I'm just saying he's and ugly dwarf no one should take him seriously, his cunning abilities rival Hodor. He's not the kind of guy anyone would make Hand he's a dimwit and it's just to unrealistic for Dany to consider having this guy join her.

Errant Bard forgot to mention that Tyrion is one the most well-educated characters in the series. Only maesters of the Citadel could possibly be more knowledgeable. And no, Tyrion is not just book-smart, he is quick-witted and funny. I am really looking forward to reading more of his dialogues. Let's not forget he also has a kind side that developed from being judged ALL HIS LIFE on his physical handicap. "Ugly little dwarf". PAH! Are you friggin' perfect or something?

Let's look at what happened while he was Hand...

1. His King died.

3. I haven't done a reread in a while, but I know there were many more problems.

I'm just saying he's and ugly dwarf no one should take him seriously, his cunning abilities rival Hodor. He's not the kind of guy anyone would make Hand he's a dimwit and it's just to unrealistic for Dany to consider having this guy join her.

Uhh...

My friend, I'm afraid you are mistaken. Tywin was Hand when his king died and when Tyrion was accused of treason. Actual evidence of dimwitdom, please....

I'm mean, sheesh, if you wanted to argue that Tyrion's evil you could probably summon forth a good argument and I'd sit back, eat popcorn, and watch the fun. Trying to call him stupid though...uh....evidence?

And what does being an ugly dwarf have to do with being taken seriously? Aren't we past the days when we burned people for witchcraft because we didn't like the way they looked? LF and Varys are rather ghoulish looking, to say nothing of Euron. Should they not be taken seriously either?

Tyrion is the only man in KL besides Varys who didn't trust Littlefinger. Tywin bought LF's innocent face hook, line, and sinker. Jaime thinks of making him Hand. Randall Tarly and Cersei both think he'll be kicked out of the Vale on his rear soon.

Maybe I'm just biased, my favorite character being Littlefinger.

Tyrion just doesn't live up to his level.

Nobody lives up to LF level. But let me ask you that: if you were a king would you rather have a LF as a Hand or Tyrion?

Yeah, I'm not a huge Tyrion fan either, but you have to admit he did a pretty good job with what he had while he was the acting Hand. He managed to put up enough defenses to hold up Stannis until Tywin and the Tyrells showed up. He managed to keep Joffery in check while every other adult in KL was cowering to his every whim. He also was able to play the Game of Thrones with some of the most devious people in the realm (Varys and LF).

1. His King died.

Dude, if you're going to start a thread like this you really should have done that re-read.

He managed to put up enough defenses to hold up Stannis until Tywin and the Tyrells showed up.

OOOH THE CHAIN!! God, I loved that chain. I was stupid and didn't see it coming and then I was all Woooooaaaahhhh.... :eek:

Maybe I'm just biased, my favorite character being Littlefinger.

Tyrion just doesn't live up to his level.

Tyrion's one of the only characters actually to outwit Littlefinger. In ACOK, Tyrion tricks Littlefinger into thinking he will arrange to have Myrcella betrothed to Robert Arryn. Later, when Littlefinger discovers Tyrion's deception, he is none too pleased.

The arguments for Tyrion being dimwitted are weak. I think one thing the books have shown is how intelligent and cunning Tyrion is. Sure, he could be more manipulative in the game of thrones, but that comes with experience (if you don't die). Do the reread and bring on the arguments.

Tyrion certainly was a rather competent Hand. He came to KL as his father's errand boy, with no power of his own, and in a few days he had the whole city in his pocket - starting with the City Watch. That is remarkable, even if his only real adversary (Cersei) is not that bright.

The ACoK Tyrion also really tried to do the best for the City and its people, while pressing the agenda of his family.

He realized that Littlefinger was treacherous - as was to be expected after he survived his time in the Eyrie - but failed to see the real danger the man posed (it makes little and less sense that he let him remain Master of Coin after he became Hand, as Tyrion is no forgiving person, and I really can't see him working with a man who tried to blame him for a murder) - even after he saw the hunger in his eyes when he offered him Harrenhal, he had no clue that he might have been behind Ned's execution, or might have the guts to arrange Joffrey's death and blame him.

Littlefinger certainly realized the danger Tyrion posed to him, and he acted on that. But Tyrion never even suspected him being behind Ser Mandon's attempt on his life.

About Tyrion's future I'm not sure. Killing Tywin and Shae, and learning the truth about Tysha were severe blows. I'm not sure that the Tyrion we are going to meet in ADwD will be as sympathetic as the old one. And actually, only the fact that we are in Tyrion's head makes him sympathetic.

Nobody lives up to LF level. But let me ask you that: if you were a king would you rather have a LF as a Hand or Tyrion?

I would rather have LF. I got an itch on my back that I just can't be rid of...maybe a good sharp dagger thrust would take care of it.

By contrast, Tyrion (being a dwarf) just can't reach that high.

Archived