Exercise and Fitness (M.O.R.)

lokisnow

I am also doing a month of religion this month. I plan on hitting the gym virtually everyday, sometimes twice a day, and hope to be at 199 by May 1st. If I break that 200 barrier I get a new iPod of somesort. No alcohol unless it's poker night, then one beer. No sweets at work. Track every calorie. Log every workout. One mocha a week from the awesome local roaster coffee shop half a mile from the office (and I have to walk there to get it) and I can eat out lunch once a week, if not less.

I started back hard at the gym about four weeks ago, I just ended an 18 day, 19 workout streak and missed my first day at the gym because I got in a groove at work, stayed late and forgot the gym closes at 10 on Fridays. :( For the first three weeks I lifted five days a week and did HIIT cardio on the weekends. I started off with just six intervals, added an interval each cardio session until I got up to 10 intervals and have been increasing my speed in increments of 1/10 of a mph each subsequent cardio session. Last week, due to a variety of circumstances, I got to the gym late, without enough time to lift, and so did HIIT cardio session three days in row. This resulted in a five lb weight loss, so I finished off the lift cycle Monday and have been doing HIIT cardio every day, and twice on Thursday (bike HIIT in the morning, Treadmill hit at night). I end every other HIIT session with sets of 25 of curls, dips and chinups (assisted, I get the first 4-7 unassisted though, then finish off the set) just for the hell of it. I found I'm way more functional at work throughout the day after a morning HIIT session. But that much intense cardio is not a pace I think I can maintain. next week I'm going to try to get to the gym in the AM three days, and hopefully five days. I'm undecided on how to keep up lifting in the evenings: 1) Lift session ending with HIIT, 2) HIIT session ending with Lifting, 3) A-Day lifting, B-Day HIIT, no morning HIIT the day after squats.

I'm also going to start alternating ellipticals (demon machines) and treadmills for the HIIT. I've considered attempting HIIT on the rower or Stair Machine but it sounds like torture.

I've also tracked every calorie for the last month, yay me. And I've walked at least a mile every day on my lunch break for the last two weeks.

My ultimate goal is 184 (or less) by my birthday in late August. If I do that, my reward is body repairs on my beat up truck and maybe a new paint job. :)

Just got back from today's HIIT session, 10 1 minute intervals 8.9-9.8 mph with 1 minute rest between the first six intervals. 90 second rest between the next three, and two minutes rest before the last one.

Just got home from trapeze, where somehow I pulled my planche trick out of nowhere. I have never been able to do it so well before, took a month off from even trying, and bam! there it was. Go figure. I just got my exercise bike set up in my new home office. Maybe I'll actually use it now. The stairs in this house are nearly enough to give me a daily cardio workout, especially since I'm constantly running up and down them.

Spent the afternoon exploring the canyons in my area. Did a 10 mile hike with 2000' gain. There are still a bunch of other trails that I haven't explored yet that branch off the main 5 mile loop, so I'll probably go again tomorrow to do some more scouting. I'm looking for a new jogging route that is about 10 miles with 2000' gain. Today's route would have been perfect, except that a portion of it went through private property (took a wrong turn)...

I can do a pull-up! Two, actually! I was playing around on the playground equipment at the park and decided to try one. And one was easy, so I did another. Number two was mostly easy until I got to the very top--I struggled to get my chin those last two inches. Couldn't manage a third yet, but still! Two pull-ups! I feel ridiculously proud of myself. Last fall I needed a spot to do one.

Spent two hours ice skating this evening. I'm slowly working high impact exercises back into my schedule. I was back at gymnastics on Tuesday without any problems--I seemed to be better for the time off. Tae Kwon Do on Thursday went badly, though. I didn't do much, but my back was killing me by the end of practice and was still aching this morning. It's finally starting to feel better again. Ballet starts again Monday, and I'd like to try running again sometime next week, depending on how everything else goes. It feels good to be moving again, but I needed the time off.

Chats,

Fitday is an easy way to log calories.

Right now, I'm pretty stoked on the progress I've made since I started working out more. I went from 215lbs down to 176, and all my lifts have gone up significantly. I measured my body fat the other day and it was 14%. As much as my lifts have gone up, I was such a pussy to begin with that I'm still really weak.

I did a brisk Pilates mat class this morning, and I am feeling great. Not even sore from trapeze yesterday! It's pouring rain, so I'll probably just ride the exercise bike later.

I use spark people for logging calories and workouts. It's aggravating to me though, that I ate about 1600 calories yesterday, burned 400 at the gym and gained two pounds. Stupid water weight. :-p I've never had issues taking off weight above 200 before. it's always the weight under 200 that suddenly become an epic burn 7000 calories to lose half a pound battle (I'm not kidding). Now it looks like I'll be doing the same for every pound over 200 too.

I use spark people for logging calories and workouts. It's aggravating to me though, that I ate about 1600 calories yesterday, burned 400 at the gym and gained two pounds. Stupid water weight. :-p I've never had issues taking off weight above 200 before. it's always the weight under 200 that suddenly become an epic burn 7000 calories to lose half a pound battle (I'm not kidding). Now it looks like I'll be doing the same for every pound over 200 too.

you're way too focused on the day to day, bro. Have you considered just weighing yourself once a week? Once I get my ass in gear about eating better, I'm thinking about junking the scale altogether and just going by measurements. So long as my lifting amounts stay the same and I can get my belly to shrink a little, I don't care if I'm 170 or 200 lbs. Well, okay, if I'm going to be two bills, I need to have at least a 315 bench. :P

From my aborted attempt at starting this iteration of Getting Fit, recap that on Friday I had a gym date with powerlifter buddy which is a great way to feel small and weak, that is if, of course, I didn't possess a bullet proof ego, which I do. For a warm up we went out to the parking lot of the Tetanus Gym and flipped some 500 and 600 pound truck tires back and forth until my heart rate was up around 180 and I had sweat pouring down my chest. Gotta love Arizona in April.

Then I did some squats, which went well despite being a bit low on gas from deadlift day earlier in the week. Two things that really helped: having a coach to tell me when I was rocking forward on my toes, which I tend to do, and using a belt. That belt gave me the ability to lift another 20 pounds, easy. I really need to get my own one of these days.

After that I :stunned: watched :stunned: B. do rack deadlifts with 800 pounds. Yeah, that's enough weight for TWO of my motorcycle.

Today was upper body day, which went okay. Bench is coming along nicely, maxing out at 260 :thumbsup: Chins and wide grip pullups continue to suck, mostly because I've been doing a lot of binge eating lately, and hauling all those extra carbs up and down is harrrrd. Assuming I pass the background check, I'll be starting a new job soon, so hopefully can get my head straight and get back into a better routine.

you're way too focused on the day to day, bro. Have you considered just weighing yourself once a week? Once I get my ass in gear about eating better, I'm thinking about junking the scale altogether and just going by measurements. So long as my lifting amounts stay the same and I can get my belly to shrink a little, I don't care if I'm 170 or 200 lbs. Well, okay, if I'm going to be two bills, I need to have at least a 315 bench. :P

I've only weighed myself every day the last week, which is the only way I see fluctuation, weighing myself once a week resulted in no weight change over three weeks of eating 2000 calories a day and exercising every day. In the past I'd have lost 3 lbs a week doing that.

I also track at SparkPeople. I love their nutrition tracking, but the exercise tracking, not so much. But as I understand it, a certain type of heart rate monitor is really the only way to get a solid idea of how many calories you burn when exercising. I've really started to want one, as I think it would be a very useful tool for maintaining my goal weight, once I get there. It's not in the budget though, but maybe someday.

I really can't wait for nicer weather. (And yes, I know some people have no problem running in the snow and wind, but I am so not one of them!) I'm bored of indoor cardio, and am really looking forward to adding hiking to my routine on Sunday afternoons, when the gym is closed and I'm off work... I also live in a very hilly neighborhood, so I think I'll have a love/hate with jogging around it. :)

In related news, I bought my very first bikini. (We're going to Jamaica on our honeymoon.) You can see my hipbones and the beginings of a six-pack!! I won't be doing Carl's Jr, commercials or anything, but I have to say, it's not at all bad.

I'm DETERMINED to do a pull-up by then.

I think in the other thread I did a big CONGRATULATIONS, AE!!!

it sounds like you've come a long way. Seeing as how so many people here have met you, don't you feel like doing an "after" pic?

LTL, I sent you a link to B's website.

Just did four miles at 8:52 per mile. Legs felt fine, stomach felt shitty.

New rule, no coffee after lunch, especially after 2pm. Coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon.

With a little more consistent training, I'm hoping I can get down to the point where I'm comfortably doing 8 minute miles for five-mile runs. Or even 7:30's.

Rode my bike to work today (damn car) and it was freaking raining. It never rains in Los Angeles, but it rains the first day I need to ride my bike to work. :-p

yeah, I'm looking forward to the new job I'm (theoretically, XX your fingers and toes) starting in three weeks. It's 10 miles from home, just long enough that I can get a good workout in, but not so far that I'd be exhausted for the day.

whew today I:

rode my bike to work in the rain (3.2 miles)

walked 1.2 miles round trip for lunch

rode my bike home with no rain but in the dark (3.2 miles)

Walked to Albertsons (.5 miles)

walked home carrying 20 lbs of groceries (.5 miles)

walked to the gym (1 mile)

Did a 23 HIIT session on the demon elliptical machine (3ish miles I think?)

Did a fast arm workout before the gym closed

Walked home (1 mile)

That is a lot, I'm wiped out.

Archived