Exercise and Fitness (M.O.R.)

lokisnow

This is the one thing I really hate about working out. I keep growing out of my old jeans. Shopping for new clothes is one of my least favorite activities even at the best of times, but it is far worse when it isn't possible to find a pair of jeans that fit. If they are wide enough to pull over my ass, they're always way too wide around the waist.

Surely there must be a market for jeans for people who squat?

Same problem here. I've long since given up on trying to get trousers with any shape or fit to them at all. I just get by with extremely baggy cargoes and a tight belt.

I would just like to say that in the past three months I have gotten both thinner and stronger. This is a first for me in my life, when weight loss always, always, always meant losing muscle too. But just in these past three months, I have decreased body fat and gained muscle. I think it may be the trampoline.

Since I started working out in May I've gone from 213 down to 183. I'm pretty excited about that. Now I'm going to take in more protein so I can built some more stength. I feel like I'm getting skinnier but not stronger.

hey good work, congrats!

I have a pair of jeans like y'all discussed, too. Waist fits fine, but it's tight in the ass and thighs. (and crotch too, but all my pants are tight there, ba-dum bum!)

deadlift day today, and I felt weak as a kitten, probably because of the running I did yesterday and the day before. It's been a good last couple weeks though, with a lot of solid workouts in there. Give me a few days to recuperate and I should see some strength gains.

My legs decide my jean size too. I can do up the waist on size 32 jeans but I need 36/38 for my legs.

Mine too. I don't really know what Bigfatcoward is talking about.

By all accounts, though, I have absurd quads. Definitely my most developed muscles.

I would just like to say that in the past three months I have gotten both thinner and stronger. This is a first for me in my life, when weight loss always, always, always meant losing muscle too. But just in these past three months, I have decreased body fat and gained muscle. I think it may be the trampoline.

That's awesome, Seastarr.

You are a very, very advanced athlete, though. Our results will probably not approach yours. :D

it's the muscles in the front of my lower legs that are sore, complaining when I ride my bike, and they complain loudly. My calves hamstrings and quads are cool with bike riding, but damn those front of leg muscles are unhappy with me.

I've gotten completely addicted to walking at least a mile and a half on my lunch break. I've gone from being a person who often forgot to go on lunch to someone who has to. That sun recharges me for the second half of the day. No walk in the sun=sleepy afternoon, walk in the sun=productive afternoon.

35 minutes of circuit lifting, (basically alternating between different leg exercises and arms, back, and chest) then an hour long yoga class.

I am exhausted. Yoga is always hard and fun, but I don't think I quite appreciated how hard it would be after already working my muscles a good deal before class.

I definitely was dripping sweat by the end of the class. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

I read that a good way to add 'healthy' calories is to just drink more milk, like a lot more milk, like a gallon a day. And I thought that's insane, a whole gallon? Then I got a gallon of milk today and drank half of it without even realizing it. According to the label, a whole gallon of milk is 2400 calories, 128g protein, 128g fat, and 176g sugars. Interesting.

Yeah, if you're trying to gain weight, milk is really good for that: lots of sugars and protein. It's a good post-workout deal for similar reasons.

I imagine Trisk or someone will be along shortly to lecture about the cons of milk :P.

Body fat is 33%. FYI.

Thanks for all the cardio tips. I'm not a confident swimmer, in the sense that I panic I won't be able to swim far enough without getting too tired to carry on. So I think I'll wait a while before getting in the water.

Did a good bit of cardio yesterday, and feel good today. Weight has gone up? I expect my body is rebelling against my fitness regime. We've danced this dance before.

Body fat is 33%. FYI.

Thanks for all the cardio tips. I'm not a confident swimmer, in the sense that I panic I won't be able to swim far enough without getting too tired to carry on. So I think I'll wait a while before getting in the water.

Did a good bit of cardio yesterday, and feel good today. Weight has gone up? I expect my body is rebelling against my fitness regime. We've danced this dance before.

33%bf and your bmi is 29? My bf is 17/18ish and my bmi is 32 haha.

I imagine Trisk or someone will be along shortly to lecture about the cons of milk :P.

You could lecture about the cons of practically anything. I, for one, will start with the pros.

Pros of milk:

-Great amino acid profile. About 20 % whey and 80 % casein.

-Contains calcium which is a crucial micronutrient and also helps in fat loss.

-Contains electrolytes like potassium and sodium

-In studies milk has been found to be superior to either water or Powerade at rehydration

-In studies milk has been found to be superior to either water or Powerade at rehydration

...and cramping and gassiness, which is why cyclists don't drink it during races.

as I discovered in the desert one day with nary a potty within five miles, and everything I wanted to squat next to was spiky and prickly.

...and cramping and gassiness, which is why cyclists don't drink it during races.

as I discovered in the desert one day with nary a potty within five miles, and everything I wanted to squat next to was spiky and prickly.

Milk also contains fat and has 4:3 carb to protein ratio, which is hardly ideal for any athelte to consume during training. If taken in in large quantaties the protein cannot be absorbed and in addition to fat will contribute to gastric upset. I should've mentioned that the studies were focused on post workout rehydration.

I like Endurox for post-workout rehydration. I'm not lactose intolerant, but it takes at least an hour after exercising for milk to agree with me, and longer if it's hot. If you're going to try milk after a workout, you might want to make sure the first time you try that, you're going to be at home near your own bathroom.

The weirdest thing I ever saw at the gym was in January, when a woman was drinking a soda on the elliptical. Yes, a soda. Part of the "New Year New Me" crowd.

I know I sound like a prick, but I hate this crowd. For one month, my gym becomes insanely crowded and then they all just die off. I know I should support their resolutions to better themselves, but when they all try to do it at the same time, its annoying.

Bah, humbug.

I do full on protein smoothie after a workout, which usually contains either milk or non-fat yogurt, a fruit item, and whey protein powder.

I think the New Year's Resolution crowd is mostly cleared out of my gym by now.

I know I sound like a prick, but I hate this crowd. For one month, my gym becomes insanely crowded and then they all just die off. I know I should support their resolutions to better themselves, but when they all try to do it at the same time, its annoying.

Bah, humbug.

You are thinking this thing through backwards. What you should be thinking is 'I get to use all these great facilities for a lot less than it should be as lazy schmucks are subsidizing my membership'.

You are thinking this thing through backwards. What you should be thinking is 'I get to use all these great facilities for a lot less than it should be as lazy schmucks are subsidizing my membership'.

Actually, the gym I go to ain't cheap. Most of the time the January-crowding doesn't bug me very much. Only when I can't find an open locker... :tantrum:

I actually have another gym-related question for board members. In my yoga class yesterday, there was an insanely hot woman who placed her mat next to me. Now, I'm in there to build flexibility and get some core strength, but damn if she wasn't just a bit distracting. There were a few poses which, if I'd had my eyes open, I would have been staring right at her bum. (OK, maybe a I did sneak a quick peak)

So my question: what is acceptable behavior on checking people out at the gym? Sometimes when I'm walking to a new machine, I see an attractive woman on the treadmill or bike and will give a discreet glance. Most of the time I'm focused on whatever exercise I'm doing. But dammit, there are some beautiful women at my gym.

I certainly don't advocate oggling someone or acting like a creep, which I don't believe I've ever done. Just wondering what other peoples' feelings on this were.

Archived