Fitba' 19

mormont

I have a good friend in England who like me is a Man U fan, and he thinks Wayne Rooney is a better player than Lionel Messi. I find such gross patriotism to be somewhat upsetting, and it goes completely against any sentiment I have when comparing these two players.

Rooney has evolved into a really great player this season, and I'd not put him outside of a top 3 this year. But surely there cannot be any debate over the incredible brilliance of Leo Messi, who's been the best player for 3 seasons in a row according to many ( allowing for some stellar performances from Cronaldo as well).

As for the Bayern victory, on the upside it makes me feel more prophetic and it will hopefully have the effect of once again making Man U management and Fergie himself seeing that Man U this season has basically been disappointing and much weaker than previous season, and this nicely caps what will probably be a lost year.

I knew that 3-2 was coming. After the first half you'd think "well maybe they will pull it off after all". But then Rafael gets yet another red card and Man U responds by simply leaning back again, exactly like in the away game. And the result is the same. I don't know if it is cowardice, a sheer lack of skill, a suddenly ingrained defensive mindset this season, but I can only say just desserts once again.

And Berbatov useless yet again. Probably best to sell him now and get a new striker in the summer in his stead. Taken as a whole over the season, he's been too poor. We need someone else to partner with Rooney, or replace him when absent.

Some replies:

is there anybody in the world who isn't a bayern, lyon, inter or real fan who doesn't want barca to win the champions league this year?

I certainly want Barca to win it. I hope they crush both of their next opponents in stunning matches to watch. I'm still unconvinced by this Bojan Krkic by the way. I know he's still very young ( and built very slightly) but in none of the matches I have seen has he impressed. People keep saying he's such a talent.

And to suggest that playing Rafael ahead of O'Shea (just back from long-term injury) was a managerial mistake by Fergie is simply playing the hindsight game. If you'd made that suggestion before the match - and let's face it, you wouldn't have - you'd have been rightly told it was daft.

I'd have picked O'Shea if I knew he were fit. Rafael has proven to be unreliable and to not be ready for this level, be it CL or EPL. Neville may be ageing yes, but I would pick O'Shea in his place.

A French journalist also spoke about his feeling that Lyon have a good chance against Bayern Munich because Bayern are weak defensively (I noticed myself that Dimichelis was all over the place) and Lyon will be well organised

It certainly won't be easy for Bayern against Lyon. Van Gaal is a brilliant coach though, and while he will continue to say this is only his 1st season with Bayern and he is still building the team, and that he normally doesn't reach the great successes until the sophomore year, all of which is true, his team is still my favorite to go through in that match against the French. But they may struggle mightily, as they have done in the Bundesliga this year, or against Fiorentina.

Couldn't blame anyone for not watching that game today. Fucking woeful performance, perhaps the worst I've ever seen. I wouldn't write off the entire team off that performance, as I've seen what ability they have in the past, but it does shake your faith in the playing squad. There are a few, though, that have very rarely shown talent. I had no idea why we signed up N'Guemo for the season, and months following, I still don't. Why we loaned out McManus and sold Caldwell, when we only had Thompson and O'Dea as back-up is mad. Admittedly we did sign a couple of new central defenders, Hooiveld and Rogne, but both were hit by injuries almost immediately upon joining us. Braafhied is crap, and it is no surprise Bayern want to sell him. Hinkel is a strong defender, and we'd do well to keep him. Apart for signing a left back - Insua? :lol: - I don't think we need to sign anyone else in the defensive department.

We've been unfortunate to miss Maloney for most of the season, and have instead tried to play Samaras or the strong, hard-working Fortune, but neither have really sparked. I like both, but they're too ineffectual to be in our starting XI. McCourt has 'all the talent in the world', but I wouldn't expect too much. He's an impact sub at best.

Rassmusen will be leading the forward line, once we come to realise what kind of player we have.

Thank fuck for the Barca-Real game tonight, that's all I really should say. Football can be saved yet.

So, Celtic outplayed by a team from Dingwall (pop: 5,000)

And with 7,000 travelling supporters, apparently. Can anyone think of a suitable headline to match the Cally one from the last time this happened to Celtic?

A day for shocks? Not only did Ross County kick Celtic out of the cup, but Burnley won their first away game of the season, and West Ham kept a clean sheet to pick up a victory.

FA Cup Semi Final win for Villa to complete the set?

ETA: I of course forgot the League 2 shock that was Torquay (21st) smashing league leaders Rochdale 5-0.

BW, you can be forgiven for the excitement - I think most teams would rather play Ross County than Celtic in a cup final. ;) This has to be Dundee United's best chance of winning the cup since '94. Just have to beat two first division teams.

I'd say it's their best chance of winning a cup since 2008 - and at least Mark Kerr and Kris Boyd won't be playing in either match. The fact that these two first division teams have beaten three SPL teams between them (and Dundee FC :) ) makes me think that it's more than a case of just beating two first division teams. The way Ross County dominated the match was astonishing; probably the most one-sided match I've watched since the Champions League Final (mabye Dundee United's quarter-final replay is up there too ;) ). I'm aware that Ross County aren't quite as good as Barcelona, but the domination of the winning team and the inneffectiveness of the loosing team were almost identical.

And with 7,000 travelling supporters, apparently. Can anyone think of a suitable headline to match the Cally one from the last time this happened to Celtic?

Someone has already suggested 'Super Ross go balistic Celtic are atrocious' and it's a given that the phrase "There will be dancing on the streets of Ross" will be mentioned on at least one news programme tonight. Right now all 7,000 Ross County fans are heading back to the highlands and stopping off at every town along the way. At about four o'clock Pitlochry was described as having "blue flags everywhere - Kingussie, Aviemore watch out".

The FA Cup Semi-Final has been fairly good throughout the first-half. End-to-end for the first half hour and then Chelsea took control. The pitch is ina pretty bad way again: players are slipping all the time, and there hasn't been any rain for a few days now.

A day for shocks? Not only did Ross County kick Celtic out of the cup, but Burnley won their first away game of the season, and West Ham kept a clean sheet to pick up a victory.

FA Cup Semi Final win for Villa to complete the set?

ETA: I of course forgot the League 2 shock that was Torquay (21st) smashing league leaders Rochdale 5-0.

HAs Ian Dowey ever being bought into a side facing religation and ever kept them up, if he has I can't remember it.

Hard to see Barcelona not winning La Liga now. Barcelona actually didn't have much (if any) more possession than Madrid had, but were actually dangerous when they got the ball. Any chance that Pellagrini might have had of keeping a job is gone now.

At the start of the game, I felt like they were really missing Ibrahimovic, since they were crossing it into the middle of the box but didn't have anyone who could really get on the end of it. Then they started working the ball better and were rewarded with the two goals. The chip to set up Messi's goal was sublime.

Seemed like the ref was pretty loose with the yellows. I think there were two or three just for dissent.

Re: the CL - as much as I enjoy the Barçanaut I'm not averse to pragmatism and good defense so the showdown between them and The Special Inter doesn't really have a downside for me.

As for the Clasico, it was a fairly comfortable win for Barca I thought - Real couldn't fashion anything in the final third til they brought on Guti (who is out of favour, go figure :dunno: ) but even then their finishing was woeful. Barca played a defensive, counterattacking game and still managed 60% possession in the 1st half and 55% in the second.

As for the Clasico, it was a fairly comfortable win for Barca I thought - Real couldn't fashion anything in the final third til they brought on Guti (who is out of favour, go figure :dunno: ) but even then their finishing was woeful. Barca played a defensive, counterattacking game and still managed 60% possession in the 1st half and 55% in the second.

Regarding Guti : it seems like his problems with all his managers along the years have been coming from his lack of professionalism and his arrogance and insolence. Too bad for him, really, because he's obviously talented.

I wonder if Henry will leave( or be asked to) Barca in the summer. He seems to be benched an awful lot, even though he did his bit in scoring some goals earlier this season.

Going by this game you'd say he's well out of Pep's plans.

Archived