Westeros Blog: More on Dothraki

Westeros

The Language Creation Society has posted the press release from HBO that we’ve reported extensively on. We’ve been told by the President of the LCS, Sai Emrys, that this will be the page to keep an eye on for future updates from the Society on their work for HBO.

We’ve spoken a bit with Mr. Emrys about the news. He’s added that they will look into posting audio files of spoken Dothraki so fans can get a taste of what they’ll be hearing on the show. As we noted from our initial report, LCS has the potential to provide all language creation services for the series, which could mean Valyrian and its dialects, and even the language of the First Men, could be on the table in the future. When I asked him about this, Mr. Emrys stated, “We’d be happy to create all the other languages in the world of ASOIAF,” although to some degree it will depend on whether the production company feels the time and effort has proved worth it.

And what decides that? Fan response and interest as the series air date approaches and the first season airs. If the production company believes that the created languages add verisimilitude and appeal for fans, they’ll likely commission more.

Keep an eye out on Westeros.org and the Language Creation Society for more news and interesting developments in the future.

Visit the Site!

He’s added that they will look into posting audio files of spoken Dothraki so fans can get a taste of what they’ll be hearing on the show.

I wonder if they'll take requests.

Imagine the look on George's face when somebody asks him a question in Dothraki at the next Con.

I'm gonna learn High Valyrian when and if it ever gets released, and use it to piss people off.

And then I want to work on a translation of AGOT to High Valyrian.

On a more serious note, I always felt that the Daenerys bits are going to be the most problematic, for the actors as well as the writers. Do you have them speaking the languages and adding subtitles, or in accented English unless someone else is near? Will the actors have to learn their lines phonetically? Will the Daenerys casting that's ongoing have the actress's language learning capability as one of the factors, like in Avatar?

But I'm excited about this. It'll be awesome.

Guest Other-in-Law

Do you have them speaking the languages and adding subtitles, or in accented English unless someone else is near?

Speaking the actual language with subtitles would be best. That way, when someone unexpectedly speaks the common tongue...like Quaithe...it packs a bigger punch. And Dany's negotiations in Astapor, with her revealing that she speaks High Valyrian at the end, makes more sense if spoken in the correct language.

Most of her conversations (with Viserys and Jorah and Barristan) would be in common tongue, anyway. Also, it would convey her gradually comprehending Dothraki if they don't subtitle it in the beginning, but do later.

This is awesome news! I'm so glad they've gone this route (rather than merely using some existing real world language, as some suggested).

I wonder if they'll take requests.

Imagine the look on George's face when somebody asks him a question in Dothraki at the next Con.

Sure we will; please post any requests on this subforum.

We won't be able to answer them right away though; as I'm sure you can guess there are some complications. But stay tuned to http://conlang.org/dothraki and http://dothraki.livejournal.com for updates.

And we totally want video of that. :)

You are on a forum devoted to a fantasy series. Geekiness is all relative. ;)

Another request: The phrase, "Blood of my blood," used by the bloodriders to the khal they follow.

I suppose the number one question I've seen so far is what 'Bloodrider' would be. And of course 'It is known.' ;)

Over at WiC, commenter Thoros of Myr suggested dothraqoyal for blood rider, an agglutination of dothra (to ride) and qoy (blood). LCS said that was close, that blood rider is one word in Dothraki but that Thoro's morphology was a bit off.

Personally I'm hoping it isn't too far off, because dothraqoyal sounds cool.

Archived