NFL Offseason Thread 2

Rhom

I've been watching the Gruden QB Camp special on ESPN this afternoon. Its actually really interesting. Colt McCoy knows his stuff, that's for sure.

I'm not sure how I feel about the draft being a Thursday, Friday, Saturday thing. I have fond memories of ordering a pizza, plopping down in a recliner, and spending a whole Saturday watching the first two rounds unfold. I just don't see that same experience on a weeknight.

:dunno:

The Scheffler deal went down.

I am not getting this deal.

Lions get Scheffler and a 7th (Den 220th overall).

Eagles get LB Sims.

The Broncos get a 5th (Phi - 137th overall).

Denver got robbed, IMO.

I hate the Bengals. They could have had Scheffler for a 5th. That's ridiculous.

Meanwhile Denver's now traded away its first 3 picks (Cutler, Marshall and Scheffler) from unquestionably their best draft this decade, 2006. Rumor is Dumervil will be next. It's clear that if Shanahan drafted you, McDaniels doesn't need you.

Never seen such a desperate attempt to put one's stamp on a team, since well, Mangini last year.

Really wish the Patriots hadn't tried to make one last trade with the Raiders last year for Derrick Burgess. Pats fans were so happy at the time thinking we had fleeced the Ole Man. Well, we miss those picks now. Not to mention The Alex Smith experiment that lost us a 5th rounder.

Now watching the Santonio Holmes and the Scheffler's of the league get traded away for practically nothing it is difficult to watch.

Scheffler is probably worth more than a 5th, but I don't see it that huge; TEs not named Gates or Gonzalez seem to be fairly fungible.

But this wasn't even a straight fifth. It was 'the difference between a 7th and a 5th'.

I think Vernon Davis is going to belong on that list very soon if not already. He's really improved his work ethic and the rest was always there.

Meanwhile Denver's now traded away its first 3 picks (Cutler, Marshall and Scheffler) from unquestionably their best draft this decade, 2006. Rumor is Dumervil will be next. It's clear that if Shanahan drafted you, McDaniels doesn't need you.

I don't think he'll trade Dumervil. He fits his system unlike Scheffer.

But why did Lions trade for TE? They drafted one last year in first round and I think they have other needs.

Scheffler is probably worth more than a 5th, but I don't see it that huge; TEs not named Gates or Gonzalez seem to be fairly fungible.

Witten is better thann both of them.

Just speaking of TE's in general, I've quite enjoyed seeing several more of them rise to more prominence in the past few seasons. Just to name one situation in which I'm interested, I'm curious to see what Shanny and McNabb can do with Cooley and Fred Davis in Washington this season?

Not much, one of them will be gone before start of next season anyway. They are fairly similar recieving TE that can't block and Redskins need picks. Maybe one of them will go to Bengals. :)

Witten is overrated. He's a good receiver (though nothing on the order of Gates) but his blocking is horrible. He does have good rapport with the QB, but there's nothing special about him and Dallas could replace him without a huge loss.

Not sure you want him. He utterly disappeared this year, and he's horrible at run support.

He's supposed to be a beast of a physical specimen though, almost linebacker size right? And all he really needs to do is sit back in Cover 2 and destroy people. It's not like Vikings safeties were anything special last year.

He's physically great. But he takes plays off, is really emotional and for having that physicality he got utterly run over by QBs and RBs in the Pac-10 this year.

And I don't know how great of a coverage guy he is either; he doesn't seem to be very football smart.

I think he's the kind of guy who excels in college due to his physical prowess but can't take it to the next level because he's always relied on those physical gifts and not technique. Which can be someone that is good in the NFL, but often it's a sign of a bust.

He's physically great. But he takes plays off, is really emotional and for having that physicality he got utterly run over by QBs and RBs in the Pac-10 this year.

And I don't know how great of a coverage guy he is either; he doesn't seem to be very football smart.

I think he's the kind of guy who excels in college due to his physical prowess but can't take it to the next level because he's always relied on those physical gifts and not technique. Which can be someone that is good in the NFL, but often it's a sign of a bust.

Hmm, fair enough assessment. CB in the first round it is :)

Not much, one of them will be gone before start of next season anyway. They are fairly similar recieving TE that can't block and Redskins need picks. Maybe one of them will go to Bengals. :)

Well, if they're smart they'll move one of them (assuming it will be too much to keep them both). Although I could definitely see the Redskins looking at Cooley and thinking it would be nice to have someone behind him as he's been getting dinged a bit more recently. If they can keep both of them that's a pretty good tandem of pass-catching TE's to play with.

Archived