NFL Offseason Thread 2

Rhom

The "insider" version makes more sense than the idea of an NFL GM coming up to a potential prospect and just blurting out "Hey there, is your fat mama a whore?"

I suspect Jeff Ireland has little to no people skills, but that seems like an odd question to just spring on anyone out of the blue. But I don't know the guy personally, maybe he is that much of a assclown. Maybe when he cut Zach Thomas, and Zach asked if he could have a press conference to thank the Miami fans for their years of support, maybe after Ireland said no he said "Now go home and get ya fuckin' shinebox!". That seems as reasonable as the Dez story.

I dunno. A Rhodes Scholar was asked how did he feel to have abadoned his team to pursue academics. A white running back was asked if he felt "entitled". These guys ask douchebag questions. I know all about a Parcells regime. Great football man, lousy person. He's all about pushing buttons.

I just wonder why Ireland's statement didn't refer to the pimp comment to begin with, not until the uproar became huge did this suddenly get leaked. You admit to asking if his mother is a prostitute but saying the kid called his father a pimp is somehow beneath you? :shocked:

I know all about a Parcells regime. Great football man, lousy person.

Hey, at least he didn't offend any of the Orientals.

I'm kinda surprised no one's talking about the Vicodin Saints thing. I know there's not a lot to it...yet...but still. The head coach possibly implicated in stealing Vicodin and then covering it up?

I'm kinda surprised no one's talking about the Vicodin Saints thing. I know there's not a lot to it...yet...but still. The head coach possibly implicated in stealing Vicodin and then covering it up?

Probably because no one understands all the legalese. It isn't as easily headlined as "Rape" and "Prostitute". When forming quick opinions we don't like to actually read more than two paragraphs. Here is Peter King summing up the lawsuit:read:

Here is his basic summary:

The story involves the dispensation and alleged theft of 130 Vicodin tablets from the Saints' drug locker at the team's offices and training facility in New Orleans over a four-month period early in 2009. A lawsuit filed by discharged former Saints' security director Geoffrey Santini, a former FBI agent, describes the recipients of the Vicodin as "Senior Staff Member A'' and "Senior Staff Member B.'' On Saturday, profootballtalk.com reported that coach Sean Payton is Senior Staff Member A, and assistant head coach Joe Vitt is Senior Staff Member B.

From what I understand there is a little that is unknown or implied. That someone was abusing Vicodin either Vitt or Payton. Peter King seems to blame Vitt for most of it and seems to think Payton was just a minor player. Do I have that right? That Payton may have indeed took some Vicodin, but that he stopped after a period of time? And that it was Vitt who took the majority of them?

My bet is that is that both simply show up with a dated Vicodin prescription?

Yeah, this is such a big scandal I am surprised that the Patriots aren't in the middle of it.

I actually do not think that the reason the "scandal" has not hit "nuclear" is because of lack of sexy headlines like "rape" or "prostitution" or "Ben Rothlesberger is out on the town again; hide your college-aged women."

I think the #1 reason this story has not gone to a real national level is that, so far, no PLAYER has been implicated (and the most important words in that sentence are the words "so far"). All we have right now are two middle-aged coaches, who are not effecting the games with their physical play taking, potentially, stolen, controlled substances. Yes, that is a "big deal" to some degree, but sports fans (and the general public to a larger degree) do not care so much IF the actual PLAYERS are not involved (ie: steroids, HGH) AND the games are NOT being effected (ie: Spygate).

A counter example to this was the BLOCKBUSTER story a few years ago that Patriots O-Lineman Nick Kaczur was involved in a DEA sting to break up an oxycodone supply ring. That story got VERY little national play. Why? Because other than Kaczur, no player was involved so nobody cared.

I think the story IS important, but in the context of sports, unless you can show people and fans that players were involved and that the integrity of the sport is in question, than we are all willing to let the police investigate, and let the legal drama play out without constant attention.

Yeah. I also feel like people don't care about substance scandals in sports if it's not affecting the on-field product. If this was a player, sure, but coaches + vicodin... meh.

Agreed. If it were a player, maybe. Also Vicodin, while potentially just as bad as any illegal drug if misused, is so commonplace these days. It's hard to ramp up a scandal for drug abuse if the drug is something a person has taken or (knows someone who has) been addicted to at one point. It has the same impact as "Sean Payton skimming Coors from beer vendors."

I thought I read somewhere too that Payton initially had a legitimate reason for needing the drug, but then maybe got hooked? That's a fairly sympathetic story if true. A quick news conference, apology, commitment to getting off the drug and the scandal would basically disappear, no?

Yes, probably. I think he's basically in the clear. It's the GM that could be in MAJOR trouble if any of these allegations are true. Falsifying records...coercing employees to lie about it? Ouch.

Looks like Al Davis finally admitted a mistake; Russell's been released. So do we now get to use the phrase "next JaMarcus Russell" instead of "next Ryan Leaf" when talking about the draft?

yeah, but pre-draft everyone was deliberating about Manning vs Leaf, Leaf or Manning? To be compared like that really makes Leaf seem a bigger bust than he was.

Perhaps we'll combine the names. Nobody wants to be the next Jamarcus Leaf.

As we are in a little quiet period (beyond Cushing getting suspended) I'd thought I'd give everyone a good laugh (or cry in a few cases). Here is a collection of 12 quotes from Sports Illustrated discussing JaMarcus Russell's potential

"JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room. Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."

-- ESPN's Mel Kiper

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/nfl.jamarcus.russell.hype/content.3.html#ixzz0nXnmAPE7

Indeed. This is what Mike Brown does. He tries to rehabilitate extremely talented guys for cheap after they've been humbled by every other team in the league. It's not anything knew and I can't understand why the media treats it as new. Adam Jones hasn't been in trouble with the law for quite awhile and he's being signed at the league minimum. He's competing for at best, the 3rd CB job. Who cares if we sign him? The media keeps insinuating that he'll screw up the team chemistry and because of Jones, we'll single handedly lose this year but they said it about Benson and about Henry resigning and about Tank Johnson, ect. We have a strong locker room of great character guys lead by Whitworth, Palmer, Dhani Jones, Peko, Michael Johnson, Leon Hall and a strong core of guys who have fucked up yet have made it right (Tank Johnson, Cedric Benson). Not to mention Zimmer is a tough coach to play for. There is absolutely zero risk to this signing.

That being said, I'd almost be surprised if Jones makes the team. JJ and Hall are the starting corners. Trent played decent as the nickel back last year and we took Brandon Ghee in the 3rd round. Unless Jones can contribute on special teams, he won't make the team.

Archived