NFL Offseason Thread 2

Rhom

Just heard from ESPN radio that the Steelers picked up Leftwich for a 7th round pick. Cue speculation that Big Ben will be sitting for 4 or more games.

There has been a fair amount of media speculation that it will actually be eight games.

If they announce it as eight though, i would bet he will still be back in four as long as he behaves.

There has been a fair amount of media speculation that it will actually be eight games.

If they announce it as eight though, i would bet he will still be back in four as long as he behaves.

"Now Ben, I know being the suspended eight games is going to be hard, but I tell you what. If you promise not to rape anyone else we'll let you back after four. How's that sound?"

"Well, what about..."

"I know what you're going to say, and getting young girls drunk out of their minds so the issue of consent is of no consequence will count against you too."

"Aww shucks!"

Here is the Patriot schedule:

Sept. 12: Cincinnati, 1 p.m.

Sept. 19: at Jets, 4:15 p.m.

Sept. 26: Buffalo, 1 p.m.

Oct. 4: at Miami, 8:30 p.m.

Oct. 10: BYE

Oct. 17: Baltimore, 1 p.m.

Oct. 24: at San Diego, 4:15 p.m.

Oct. 31: Minnesota, 4:15 p.m.

Nov. 7: at Cleveland, 1 p.m.

Nov. 14: at Pittsburgh, 8:20 p.m.

Nov. 21: Indianapolis, 4:15 p.m.

Nov. 25: at Detroit 12:30 p.m.

Dec. 6: Jets, 8:30 p.m.

Dec. 12: at Chicago, 1 p.m.

Dec. 19: Green Bay, 8:20 p.m.

Dec. 26: at Buffalo, 1 p.m.

Jan. 2: Miami, 1 p.m.

I can see Indy, Detroit, and then NY after a short week being a fun little stretch. Baltimore, San Diego and Minnesota will not be a cake walk as well.

Here is the Patriot schedule:

I can see Indy, Detroit, and then NY after a short week being a fun little stretch. Baltimore, San Diego and Minnesota will not be a cake walk as well.

Were I a Patriots fan, I'd be more concerned about going in to Pittsburgh, on a Sunday night, following a road game in Cleveland.

I like the Chargers schedule a lot. The road games are 3 AFC West rivals, 2 NFC West cupcakes, a toughie in Indy (on a short week after a home MNF game) and a couple of games to Cincy and Houston. No East Coast road trip. And three in a row down the stretch. Hopefully, the final two games (both on the road, both in potential snow - DEN and CIN) won't matter much.

Were I a Patriots fan, I'd be more concerned about going in to Pittsburgh, on a Sunday night, following a road game in Cleveland.

I like the Chargers schedule a lot. The road games are 3 AFC West rivals, 2 NFC West cupcakes, a toughie in Indy (on a short week after a home MNF game) and a couple of games to Cincy and Houston. No East Coast road trip. And three in a row down the stretch. Hopefully, the final two games (both on the road, both in potential snow - DEN and CIN) won't matter much.

I'll be going to the Charger Seahawks game.

Are tickets on sale already? I can't remember how soon that happens after the announcement, but I feel like it's later.

Not that tickets to seahawks games are hard to come by....

I heard Goodell on ESPN radio say that they had really backloaded division games into the last four weeks of the season to try and curtail the resting of starters. Statistically, division games have the most probability of effecting seeding with tiebreakers and everything else that plays into it. I suppose thats the most that the league can realistically do to address the issue.

As of now, there is a lot to be concerned about regarding the Pats schedule.

But as the season plays out, things will change. Maybe the Vikings fall apart; maybe the Browns become a stud team; maybe the Jets become a hot and cold team; maybe the Pats are able to deal effectively with their defensive problems... okay that last one was wishful thinking. But the overall point is that what looks like a hard game today can turn out to be a cupcake tomorrow. And vice-versa.

The radio is all abuzz with Rothlisberger's 4-6 week suspension and the Subsequent news that the Steelers are willing to shop him for a top ten pick tomorrow.

Its an interestimg question, what do you want? A known quantity like Big Ben or an unknown like Bradford?

Unless you think that Bradford is the next Brady/Brees/Manning type and will make your team better for the next 10 years, you don't even hesitate to get Ben. Even with the personal issues, he'll automatically make your team significantly better.

I was thinking about that the other day, and how odd it was that good QBs have been going so reasonably cheaply. Schaub is a prime example - he cost what, a 2nd round pick? And what was McNabb? Then you have people throwing 1st round picks at Harrington, Carr, Smith...it's just odd.

I'd think that a proven commodity quarterback would be worth significantly more than a 1st round pick. Especially since (at least this year) you'd be able to get him more cheaply.

And the Bears schedule looks pretty brutal to me, especially down the stretch. Their last four games are New England, at Minn, NYJ, and at GB. They do at least get NE at home, but Dallas and NYG away aren't the funnest things ever.

They do have winnable home games - Seattle, Washington. And playing Miami and Buffalo away isn't the worst ever either. But otherwise it's going to be pretty tough.

He would go "cheap" maybe a first and a mid pick for several reasons. He will be suspended, his baggage, and you would have to pay him. Of course on the flip side he has has won two Super Bowls (Although his stats were not awesome in the first one) and is a top teir QB. He will also sell tickets. It is a tough decision. He is still young. If I were a Cleveland or a Buffalo I would think about it.

Unless you think that Bradford is the next Brady/Brees/Manning type and will make your team better for the next 10 years, you don't even hesitate to get Ben. Even with the personal issues, he'll automatically make your team significantly better.

I was thinking about that the other day, and how odd it was that good QBs have been going so reasonably cheaply. Schaub is a prime example - he cost what, a 2nd round pick? And what was McNabb? Then you have people throwing 1st round picks at Harrington, Carr, Smith...it's just odd.

I'd think that a proven commodity quarterback would be worth significantly more than a 1st round pick. Especially since (at least this year) you'd be able to get him more cheaply.

I tend to agree with that. Plus you already know what the salary is going to be; the trend in recent years for the astronomical contracts that a top 10 pick QB can demand has been out of control. Veteran players always seem to go for lesser amounts in the NFL than in other leagues.

For example, I was looking over the NBA mock draft and noticed that Utah has New York's first round pick... turns out it was for a deal where the Knicks got Stephon Marbury and in a round about way the Jazz got Tom Gugliotta and a couple of conditional picks. This deal was in 2004!!!!

You never see players in the NFL commanding that level of future compensation in draft picks. So the question now is, would St. Louis, Detroit, Tampa, Washington, KC, Seattle, Cleveland, Oakland, Buffalo, or Jacksonville take a chance on him?

I think I'd rule out Detroit, Washington, KC, Seattle, and Jacksonville right off the bat. So that would leave StL, Tampa, Cleveland, Oakland, and Buffalo.

Roethlisberger's big arm potential really seems like a perfect fit for the vampire in the sweatsuit out in California to take a flyer on though... The question is, does Pittsburgh really dislike Big Ben that much?

Buffalo also seems like a team in need of a big splash and would make sense.

:dunno:

The Jets are coming off of a Thanksgiving game as well, so it's a short week too for them (and an away game).

The Jets open at Baltimore, have Minny, Green Bay and Pitt when Big Ben will be back. So there are a few tough games on the schedule.

Also, doesn't it seem like the Jets and Pats play every year week 2?

Also, doesn't it seem like the Jets and Pats play every year week 2?

It seems like that is starting to become a tradition.

It is official. 6 game suspension. Can be reduced to 4 if he goes to therapy, doesn't rape anyone etc.

"The Personal Conduct Policy makes clear that I may impose discipline 'even where the conduct does not result in conviction of a crime' as, for example, where the conduct 'imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person'," Commissioner Roger Goodell stated in his letter to Roethlisberger.

"As the District Attorney concluded, the extensive investigatory record shows that you contributed to the irresponsible consumption of alcohol by purchasing (or facilitating the purchase of) alcoholic beverages for underage college students, at least some of whom were likely already intoxicated. There is no question that the excessive consumption of alcohol that evening put the students and yourself at risk. The Personal Conduct Policy also states that discipline is appropriate for conduct that 'undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.' By any measure, your conduct satisfies that standard."

He'd better be as squeaky clean as a choirboy.

One of my co-worker's husbands is working with one of the local news reporters at the moment, and he just called with the news that the Steelers are going to try to trade him. Don't know if that's true or not, but that's the rumor going around. I wouldn't be surprised if that were true--why else would they have picked up Leftwich?

And the Bears schedule looks pretty brutal to me, especially down the stretch. Their last four games are New England, at Minn, NYJ, and at GB. They do at least get NE at home, but Dallas and NYG away aren't the funnest things ever.

They do have winnable home games - Seattle, Washington. And playing Miami and Buffalo away isn't the worst ever either. But otherwise it's going to be pretty tough.

I predict the Bears will be the best 8-8 or 9-7 team in the league, which won't matter when they're sitting at home and watching the playoffs. The most we can hope for is that they get some breaks going their ways during close games - though I think 2006 spent our big breaks-meter for the decade. And we can also hope that Minnesota and/or Green Bay implodes. Preferably Minnesota in spectacular fashion.

Either way, the last four games of the season will have playoff implications for at least the team involved if the Bears are eliminated by then. Should be entertaining, even if it's a "oh god I want to stab my eyes out" sort of way.

It seems like that is starting to become a tradition.

It is official. 6 game suspension. Can be reduced to 4 if he goes to therapy, doesn't rape anyone etc.

I love the picture MSNBC has up of Ben at the moment. He looks like a sleazy villain from a cheesy B-movie.

and he just called with the news that the Steelers are going to try to trade him. Don't know if that's true or not, but that's the rumor going around. I wouldn't be surprised if that were true--why else would they have picked up Leftwich?

As I mentioned earlier, its what ESPN radio was reporting at lunch as well. Big Ben for a top 10 pick.

I don't know how serious they are about shopping him, they could have picked up Leftwich just to get them through the 4-6 game suspension. He did play well for them a couple seasons ago when Ben was injured and they wouldn't have to change the playbook for him the way they would have to for Dennis Dixon.

The main reason they had to change the playbook for Dixon was that they had literally no one else as backup QB - so they couldn't afford for Dixon to be hit. That he was not having a ton of reps didn't help either, but they actually were quite positive on Dixon. And Dixon does give something Leftwich doesn't - namely, that he can actually escape pressure, and with that OLine that's something likely to occur quite often.

A top 10? Hmm. In order:

Rams: fills a need, would work okay with existing bad OLine. Only problem is a huge lack of receivers.

Lions: probably won't want to end the Matthew Stafford Experiment just yet.

Tampa: also a huge need.

Redskins - blew their wad on McNabb

Chiefs - don't want to end their reign for Cassell yet.

Seahawks - unlikely that Carroll would want to bring in a low-character issue this early. And they have a lot of needs

Browns - I have no idea, honestly. Probably not.

Oakland - it's a perfect match.

Buffalo - maybe. I doubt they'd want him though, and they still don't have much to throw to.

Jaguars - probably content with what they have.

So I'd say that the Rams or Bucs should do it. I think that it's most likely Oakland does do it.

Archived