NFL Offseason Thread 2

Rhom

As I mentioned earlier, its what ESPN radio was reporting at lunch as well. Big Ben for a top 10 pick.

I don't know how serious they are about shopping him, they could have picked up Leftwich just to get them through the 4-6 game suspension. He did play well for them a couple seasons ago when Ben was injured and they wouldn't have to change the playbook for him the way they would have to for Dennis Dixon.

I missed your earlier post. :) Don't forget Charlie Batch, though. He might not be a star, but he is capable. The mood around here seems to be that we'll put up with losing for a few games or even a whole season under the circumstances. Ben's not real popular at the moment.

Too bad for him that Dan Rooney couldn't fly back to Ireland because of the volcano. :lol: So he's been stuck here in Pittsburgh having to listen to all this, and getting more pissed off by the second.

So I'd say that the Rams or Bucs should do it. I think that it's most likely Oakland does do it.

Bucs spent their first on Freeman last year and he played decently for a rookie so I dunno. Oakland makes the most sense and yes I think the Rooneys would hate Ben that much right now.

If the Steelers would settle for less than a top 10 I could see Carolina or San Fran. They need QB's badly and the Steelers could still get Clausen perhaps in that range.

Adma Schefter via Twitter:

“Here are teams that Steelers have called about Roethlisberger: Rams, 49ers, Raiders, Bills, Jaguars, Seahawks and Browns.”

“Here are the known no’s on interest in Roethlisberger right now: Rams, Bills. Others might not be, just not known yet.”

Jason La Canfora's Twitter says:

Steelers have been in contact w/ Raiders regarding Big Ben trade. Might be only real option. More on NFLN and NFL.com

God... can you imagine Roethlisberger and Janikowski cruising the seedy bars of Oakland together? Better lock your daughters in the basement fellas! Seebass and Big Ben are on the prowl!!!

:smileysex:

If the Niners passed on McNabb when the price was a second rounder, I can't imagine they'd give up a first rounder for Roethlisberger. But stranger things have happened...

I think he'd look perfect in a Raiders uniform, though ;) We know Al doesn't care about things like character concerns, and he loves big, strong armed QBs, and he has a top 10 pick to spend. Only problem is that Jamarcus Russell contract... If Al's ready to give up on Russell though (and he should be) then that's the best fit.

ETA: How better for the Rooney's to send a message too! If you want players to know that incidents like this really won't be tolerated in Pittsburgh, you ship Ben somewhere most players really don't want to go like, oh, OAKLAND, for instance. Scary thing is, if Oakland had an O-line that team might even be good with Ben under center.

I think that it's most likely Oakland does do it.

I would pay big money to see this. Can we mandate that it happens? I mean, like, even if it doesn't, everyone on the board has to act like it did? I really no longer like Big Ben (I want the record to reflect that this is not a "guy-who-murders-the-Patriots" hate thing; its a "Guy-who-is-a-total-scum-bag-and-rapes-students-and-makes-horrendous-decisions-that-everyone-else-covers-up-for" type of thing). I mean, doesn't he just BELONG in Oakland? Doesn't he deserve Oakland? Isn't it better for all of us if he goes there?

Fucking scum bag rapist.

I would pay big money to see this. Can we mandate that it happens? I mean, like, even if it doesn't, everyone on the board has to act like it did? I really no longer like Big Ben (I want the record to reflect that this is not a "guy-who-murders-the-Patriots" hate thing; its a "Guy-who-is-a-total-scum-bag-and-rapes-students-and-makes-horrendous-decisions-that-everyone-else-covers-up-for" type of thing). I mean, doesn't he just BELONG in Oakland? Doesn't he deserve Oakland? Isn't it better for all of us if he goes there?

Fucking scum bag rapist.

I was talking about this with a friend of mine. I'd love to see Pig Ben exiled to Oakland, but he didn't want the Pats' first round pick next year to be devalued by the Raiders actually winning a couple more games. I countered it'd be worth it, just to see Raepistberger's face on the sidelines as Al Davis is prodding his biceps and the Black Hole guys are trying to recruit him for a bar crawl later. For extra points he can rumble with Tom Cable, if Cable's got any nubile daughters.

I think he'd look perfect in a Raiders uniform, though ;) We know Al doesn't care about things like character concerns, and he loves big, strong armed QBs, and he has a top 10 pick to spend. Only problem is that Jamarcus Russell contract... If Al's ready to give up on Russell though (and he should be) then that's the best fit.

Russell can be moved to Left Tackle, that would solve both Raider problems ... :P

Russell can be moved to Left Tackle, that would solve both Raider problems ... :P

Considering how tall and long-armed he is, wouldn't it be better to stick him in a weak spot on the D-Line? You could just tell him to wave his arms and obstruct as much airspace as possible. ;)

Steve Young came up with a decent point about this (in not so many words)-- basically in this case, where there's smoke there's probably fire. Can't imagine this could all just be rumormongering, even though it is the night before the draft, because if it was Pittsburgh would shoot it down. They're not just trying to send a message to Roethlisberger at this point, they're trying to get him off the team.

Pittsburgh fans, prepare to welcome your new goldenboy/tool-- Jimmy Clausen.

Raider fans, prepare to welcome one of your own.

Adma Schefter via Twitter:

Jason La Canfora's Twitter says:

God... can you imagine Roethlisberger and Janikowski cruising the seedy bars of Oakland together? Better lock your daughters in the basement fellas! Seebass and Big Ben are on the prowl!!!

:smileysex:

proving how monumentally stupid they are, the local radio guys are under the delusion the Steelers are in talks with the Cardinals for Roethlisberger. Football-wise it makes sense, but there's more to it than that.

proving how monumentally stupid they are, the local radio guys are under the delusion the Steelers are in talks with the Cardinals for Roethlisberger. Football-wise it makes sense, but there's more to it than that.

Huh? Where are the Cards picking? 20ish??? A little low for what we've been hearing isn't it?

To hell with suspending players and making them sit out of games. From here on out, all players who get in trouble with the law must serve their suspension playing for Oakland. It will be awesome.
Win.

I thought this was a kind of Meh Draft, but then I get to thinking a little bit.

You got 4 premier, big name, college QBs that no-one is really sure where they'll go. I hear it's the best draft class in years which surprised me. It's deep and talented and I've heard 1983 being thrown around as a comparison. Plus you got all the drama of whether Roethlisberger could get moved (I agree the Raiders would be perfect). Haynesworth too. Everyone says there's going to be more movement than any prior year, teams will be flying in and bailing out...anyone could be picking really anywhere.

Beyond that, the Gruden QB seminars are wildly entertaining. I know he's just doing it to stay on the minds of GMs, but the way he grills all the pretty boy QBs combines everything a football fan loves about the sport. And the different personalities of the QBs involved from Tebow the boyscout to Clausen the dick is awesome. Also the new draft format over three days is so much of a better way to do it, I'm amazed it's just being instituted this year. It's also fun because even though the NBA and NHL are in playoffs and the MLB season is fresh and new, the spectre of the NFL draft completely blots out the sun of the sports landscape. And now it does so over 3 days. I love it. Even as a Redskin fan who never gets to personally experience what rounds 2-4 are like, and that's doubly true this year, it's still great TV. I didn't even realize round 2 happens Friday night. I gotta empty out my social calendar. this shit is just too good.

Eh, I'll be in a sports bar Friday night for a hockey game, so presumably I'll catch part of Round 2 (hopefully Gerhart will go that round), but I actually wish it weren't going up against the NHL playoffs. If this started during the day Saturday, I'd clear out the whole day and veg out in front of the TV. As is... meh.

Eh, I'll be in a sports bar Friday night for a hockey game, so presumably I'll catch part of Round 2 (hopefully Gerhart will go that round), but I actually wish it weren't going up against the NHL playoffs. If this started during the day Saturday, I'd clear out the whole day and veg out in front of the TV. As is... meh.

I guess what I would've liked to see in the ideal is Thursday Night - Round 1. Saturday - Rounds 2-4, Sunday Rounds 5-7. I like having the extra time to digest the first round, but I do agree that's it won't be the same vegging on Saturday when it's mostly D-IAA guys I've never heard of and Latvian Offensive Linemen going off the board.

Generally, I prefer the old set up, with the draft on Saturday-Sunday. It's like a beautiful weekend oasis in the middle of a long football-less desert. Also, the "prime time" timeslot kinda screws over the West Coast, with the draft starting at 4:30.

That said, it actually works out better for me this year that they're doing it this way. So I hope they try it, hate it, and switch back to the old system before next year :P

Re: Tebow, the big rumor for a while now has been that the Bills are dead set on drafting him. Could be a scenario where they'll have to trade up into the late first to make sure they get him ahead of the Vikes.

Generally, I prefer the old set up, with the draft on Saturday-Sunday. It's like a beautiful weekend oasis in the middle of a long football-less desert. Also, the "prime time" timeslot kinda screws over the West Coast, with the draft starting at 4:30.

That said, it actually works out better for me this year that they're doing it this way. So I hope they try it, hate it, and switch back to the old system before next year :P

Re: Tebow, the big rumor for a while now has been that the Bills are dead set on drafting him. Could be a scenario where they'll have to trade up into the late first to make sure they get him ahead of the Vikes.

Simmons seems dead set that the Jaguars should try and take him. I hope he's right, though I doubt he is. I don't want Tebow.

Archived