UK Politics V

MinDonner

What's the political message in a hung parliament?

On the left it would seem to suggest that the country as a whole still doesn't trust the right, which gives the left some cause for comfort even though they will have a smaller proportion of seats/national vote share.

On the right it would seem to be a bit depressing that this is Labour at it's lowest ebb and still they can't win enough of the country to govern alone. Despite gaining many seats and definitely being the biggest party in parliament they're hardly in the position they would have hoped for. Even with a 326 seat majority it's still not a major vote of confidence and an overwhelming mandate for their policy programme.

Interesting times. FPP is so last century. If you're gonna have a party based democracy PR is the way to go.

Imagine PR in the USA. I think if that happened the Republican and Democrat parties would both seriously fragment into a number of satellite parties, It would be the death of the degree of partisanship in American politics witnessed over the last few decades. Which of course is why the Dems and Repubs are unlikely to ever vote it in.

If the Lib Dems hiold the balance of power in the British Pparliament you can bet that a referrendum on RP will be one of their bottom lines for confidence and supply support.

What a numptee at Cameron's re-elect spelling out the number of votes each candiadate got: one one one seven :P = 1007 for example :P

Are you sure that's how you spell numptee? I've never seen it written before. :-P

Proportional representation :thumbsup: Then it's maturer coalition government, a move in the right direction. Coalitions solve more problems then they create, as a general rule. No matter what they say about the IMF being scared, not surpressing people's voices solves more problems than it creates.

Imagine PR in the USA. I think if that happened the Republican and Democrat parties would both seriously fragment into a number of satellite parties, It would be the death of the degree of partisanship in American politics witnessed over the last few decades. Which of course is why the Dems and Repubs are unlikely to ever vote it in.

PR systems are far more partisan than FPP. In PR systems indiviuals have no power and MPs almost never vote against party line. You can be kicked out of party in PR systems, and your political career is over, unless you are popular enough to create new party. In US system you must lose primaries. America has problems but they should be solved by antigerrymandering and anticorruption legislation, not PR system.

Are you sure that's how you spell numptee? I've never seen it written before. :-P

I think it's the alternative minority spelling of a colloquial word haha, (the word is not in the dictionary as far as I know, ahhh so tired.)

Lib Dems have lost 3 seats to 1 gain so far. Looks like their vote share might go up but their seat share might go down. If they get too much of a net loss it could put the conservatives over the 326 seats.

Lib Dems have lost 3 seats to 1 gain so far. Looks like their vote share might go up but their seat share might go down. If they get too much of a net loss it could put the conservatives over the 326 seats.

On the BBC site they say they've gained 2, so have a net loss of 1. As of a moment ago. :)

What's the political message in a hung parliament?

On the left it would seem to suggest that the country as a whole still doesn't trust the right, which gives the left some cause for comfort even though they will have a smaller proportion of seats/national vote share.

On the right it would seem to be a bit depressing that this is Labour at it's lowest ebb and still they can't win enough of the country to govern alone. Despite gaining many seats and definitely being the biggest party in parliament they're hardly in the position they would have hoped for. Even with a 326 seat majority it's still not a major vote of confidence and an overwhelming mandate for their policy programme.

Interesting times. FPP is so last century. If you're gonna have a party based democracy PR is the way to go.

If the Lib Dems hiold the balance of power in the British Pparliament you can bet that a referrendum on RP will be one of their bottom lines for confidence and supply support.

I actually think the real message being sent out via this election is that British voters are far more traditional in their patterns than we may have thought. There's essentially been NO massive change.

Automatic generated message

This topic has been closed by a moderator.

Reason: the night is long, with many seats to go... take it to a new thread. thnx.

Archived